Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dental assistant wanting to work in Usa

Dental assistant wanting to work in Usa

Old Jun 12th 2018, 5:59 pm
Just Joined

Ruthannadavis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dental assistant wanting to work in Usa

Hi, I’m wondering if anyone can help me with figuring out what exactly I need to do to be able to work as a dental assistant here in America.
I have already obtained a green card and am allowed to work here. I read somewhere that I need to take an exam to basically prove I know the job, but I’m wondering if anyone has done this already and can provide me with some insight please.
Thank you I’m avvance.
Old Jun 12th 2018, 6:55 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dental assistant wanting to work in Usa

What state will you be working as a dental assistant?
Old Jun 12th 2018, 6:57 pm
Just Joined

Portland, Oregon.
Old Jun 12th 2018, 8:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

I would suggest you Google dental assistant and find out what is required.

Yes, you need qualifications/passing of exams to undertake this work. One can do on line qualifications and also courses in Community College.

Presume you are NOT talking about a Dental Hygienist, which takes several years of study.
Old Jun 12th 2018, 8:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
I would suggest you Google dental assistant and find out what is required.

Yes, you need qualifications/passing of exams to undertake this work. One can do on line qualifications and also courses in Community College.

Presume you are NOT talking about a Dental Hygienist, which takes several years of study.
I already have the qualification, I worked full time for 7 years in London at several practices but was hoping I didn’t have to redo the whole thing again.
And no I am not referring to a dental hygienist.
Old Jun 12th 2018, 8:39 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.danb.org/Meet-State-Requ...on/Oregon.aspx
Old Jun 12th 2018, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ruthannadavis

I already have the qualification, I worked full time for 7 years in London at several practices but was hoping I didn’t have to redo the whole thing again.
And no I am not referring to a dental hygienist.
In most states to be a basic Dental assistant no license or certification is required. It is when you are working in an "expanded role" which includes taking of X-rays, polishing teeth and restorations, placing temporary crowns, etc that a certification is required. You can probably get a job with your experience and worry about the certification later just by working within the non -certified capacity.
Old Jun 19th 2018, 5:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ddsrph

In most states to be a basic Dental assistant no license or certification is required. It is when you are working in an "expanded role" which includes taking of X-rays, polishing teeth and restorations, placing temporary crowns, etc that a certification is required. You can probably get a job with your experience and worry about the certification later just by working within the non -certified capacity.
thank you for your advice.