Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dental again - Grr

Dental again - Grr

Old Apr 12th 2007, 1:45 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dental again - Grr

Originally Posted by Tracym
. But... the wait can be months even with an active infection. And the wait was months longer if anesthesia was desired.
We do have antibiotics in the UK and I have never heard of someone having a longer wait because they needed anaesthesia.

We stopped asking people to get drunk and bite on leather straps at least three years ago.
Old Apr 12th 2007, 1:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumping doris
It would be free if it were done at a dental hospital, according to your link.

My husband had one of his out at the hospital and we didn't pay.
You do pay for dental care in the UK...free is perhaps the wrong word.
However it has never cost me as much as it does here, bearing in mind that we are paying high monthly premiums here and also paying some part of the treatment.
I can't remember the costs now but they weren't so high that I did without the treatment. But that's what I have to do here.
My children had much better orthodontic treatment in the UK and all of it was free.
Keith and I compared costs of dental cleaning etc. I think the private dentist he had was similar to the cost here (but my dentist isn't bad, I'm sure some are much worse costwise). Through the NHS it was certainly cheaper, if he had the time.
Old Apr 12th 2007, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Texas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond repute

Man I'm getting tooth ache reading this!
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

We do have antibiotics in the UK and I have never heard of someone having a longer wait because they needed anaesthesia.

We stopped asking people to get drunk and bite on leather straps at least three years ago.
ROFL. Well I had mine out here without actual anesthesia here too. Keith had local of course, that wasn't some comment on brutality or anything.

He was on antibiotics, but it wouldn't clear up until after the tooth was extracted.
Greatly Missed. RIP

DollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond repute

I think it may vary depending upon the area, what health trust etc. Keith has several times been faced with months of wait - and sometimes gone private because of it. He says it can be hard to get in with a NHS dentist, they can be "full".

I think at the time of his infected wisdom tooth, he wasn't near the dental school. There was some other reason the dental school wasn't an option, but I'm afraid I can't remember.

They needed different facilities to use anesthesia other than local, which is why there was a longer wait in that cae.

Just so I'm clear, I am not saying there are ALWAYS waits by any means. Just that there can be. In what percentage of the time, I have no idea. Before I ran off the the UK (perhaps someone was suggesting the OP do that) I'd want to make sure there wouldn't be a wait in that particular case.
Yes, it can be hard to get an NHS Dentist who will take new patients now.
My nephew had to go to the Dental Hospital because his Dentist was too busy.....At the Dental Hospital in Edinburgh they use all sorts of anesthesia.
Old Apr 12th 2007, 1:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Texas Mom
Man I'm getting tooth ache reading this!
Well I could share my lovely details of dental implant.... go for a full-out jaw-ache
Old Apr 12th 2007, 1:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by DollyLlama
My nephew had to go to the Dental Hospital because his Dentist was too busy.....At the Dental Hospital in Edinburgh they use all sorts of anesthesia.
Oh I'm sure. I have never made any comment on quality of care. But if you don't drive... and aren't near the dental hospital...

That might have been part of the problem.
Old Apr 12th 2007, 1:49 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Keith and I compared costs of dental cleaning etc. I think the private dentist he had was similar to the cost here (but my dentist isn't bad, I'm sure some are much worse costwise). Through the NHS it was certainly cheaper, if he had the time.
In the UK, if I wanted to see the dentist for a routine check up, I rang and usually got an appointment for that week. If it was an emergency I would be seen that day. Most NHS dentists will see emergencies early in the morning and everyone knows that because we are used to the system. If you can't wait then you go to A&E or the local emergency, on call dentist.
Old Apr 12th 2007, 1:50 am
Greatly Missed. RIP

DollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I'm sure. I have never made any comment on quality of care. But if you don't drive... and aren't near the dental hospital...

I know you didn't make any comment on quality of care.
You are right,if you are not near a dental hospital that can be a problem.
Old Apr 12th 2007, 1:51 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DollyLlama
My UK dentist went private, but I still paid way less than I am paying here with insurance.
Old Apr 12th 2007, 1:52 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

I forgot that in the US they offer a pick-up and drop-off service...
Old Apr 12th 2007, 1:53 am
Who?

Originally Posted by Elvira
I forgot that in the US they offer a pick-up and drop-off service...
Old Apr 12th 2007, 1:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

In the UK, if I wanted to see the dentist for a routine check up, I rang and usually got an appointment for that week. If it was an emergency I would be seen that day. Most NHS dentists will see emergencies early in the morning and everyone knows that because we are used to the system. If you can't wait then you go to A&E or the local emergency, on call dentist.
Keith hasn't had the same luck with timing. Busier area maybe? Or busier lately?
Dunno.

Usually the routine stuff hasn't been a big problem, just when he needed the extraction. Tecnhically, anesthesia (other than local) isn't necessary. Which is true, I had mine done conscious. He, not adoring dental services, would have preferred nighty-night. But he would have had to wait longer, in that case.
Old Apr 12th 2007, 2:26 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Well I could share my lovely details of dental implant.... go for a full-out jaw-ache
Best place to get dental implants is in Portugal.

http://www.clinicamalo.pt/video2.html
Old Apr 12th 2007, 2:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Best place to get dental implants is in Portugal.

http://www.clinicamalo.pt/video2.html
Interesting stuff.

lol and I DO have teeth, only one implant.

There is some debate over what method is the best for implants I guess - my oral surgeon didn't wish to do the instant tooth thing.

I had the dead tooth extracted, bone graft, then healing.

Then the implant - more healing, then the crown put on.

While expensive, I'd sure recommend it - it's terrific! Wouldn't even know it was there.

Oh - here you all can laugh though - guess what they use for bone grafting - COW BONES!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.