Denied NHS

Old Jan 21st 2009, 11:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Denied NHS

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
He wasn't denied surgery; he was denied having it paid for by the NHS. Big difference.
With hopes he'll take his "hot" gallbladder to another country? So the NHS doesn't have to pay for an emergency surgery?
Old Jan 21st 2009, 11:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
With hopes he'll take his "hot" gallbladder to another country? So the NHS doesn't have to pay for an emergency surgery?
The second question has already been answered many times in this thread. As to the first question, you are making a big assumption that a non-emergency gall-bladder condition would turn into an emergency. And I suspect the NHS would have been quite happen to perform this non-emergency surgery had the individual been willing to pay for it.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 12:24 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

you are making a big assumption that a non-emergency gall-bladder condition would turn into an emergency.
Obviously someone who hasn't experienced the pain.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 12:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

The second question has already been answered many times in this thread. As to the first question, you are making a big assumption that a non-emergency gall-bladder condition would turn into an emergency. And I suspect the NHS would have been quite happen to perform this non-emergency surgery had the individual been willing to pay for it.
Originally Posted by Partystar
so we denied him his laparoscopic cholecystectomy (gall bladder removal). He says he's willing to pay, but I seriously doubt that
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 12:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by fatbrit
I haven't, but I've heard it can be pretty brutal.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 12:59 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

My acupuncturist is on my case about my gall bladder. (it's a trouble maker as far as I am concerned).

She said that it is related to executing plans. The liver is for making plans.
Maybe the guy should've consulted his liver before going to the NHS.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 8:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

He didn't have a hot gallbladder requiring early cholecystectomy. He did not require emergency surgery.

He had a gall bladder - and a "health status" (for want of a better term which eludes my brain right now) which was/is amenable to late cholecystectomy.

For the record, just this week in our bimonthly departmental meeting we looked at the pros and cons of early (within 48 hrs to within 1 week) versus late (anytime after 48 hrs to after 1 week) cholecystectomy...the jury is still out.

Yesterday I discharged a bloke who came in with a hot GB a few days early. Settled with conservative Rx. (Many, many do) He MAY have a lap chole down the track - but his recent silent MI, and an ITU stay for airway disease means that he has a huge anaesthetic risk. He is NOT an early candidate for cholecystectomy.....he might not even be a candidate for the procedure at all.

Partystar (hello!!!!!) didn't mention the risk of converting the procedure to an open one, and any extra associated costs.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 8:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
I'm sorry that you've been in such pain. I'm told that the pain is horrendous.

It is rare to do an emergency operative procedure for pain alone if the cause of the pain is established and is one that usually settles with good pain relief.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 9:37 am
Banned

Sherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really nice

Years ago a bloke i know went to work in the US off the cards he just wanted to travel around the states and do some work he was in his early 20s then anyway he broke his leg while in the states and of course he was taken to hospital and treated and given a bed to stay in plus crutches well in due course he was handed papers to sign while still in bed these papers were the "bill" of course and this was a fair amount of cash to coff up as he wasnt insured well while testing out his new crutches he proceded to head for the exit and straight to the nearest airport and booked the next plane back to london ! For him there was no alternative.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 2:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
He didn't have a hot gallbladder requiring early cholecystectomy. He did not require emergency surgery.

He had a gall bladder - and a "health status" (for want of a better term which eludes my brain right now) which was/is amenable to late cholecystectomy.

For the record, just this week in our bimonthly departmental meeting we looked at the pros and cons of early (within 48 hrs to within 1 week) versus late (anytime after 48 hrs to after 1 week) cholecystectomy...the jury is still out.

Yesterday I discharged a bloke who came in with a hot GB a few days early. Settled with conservative Rx. (Many, many do) He MAY have a lap chole down the track - but his recent silent MI, and an ITU stay for airway disease means that he has a huge anaesthetic risk. He is NOT an early candidate for cholecystectomy.....he might not even be a candidate for the procedure at all.

Partystar (hello!!!!!) didn't mention the risk of converting the procedure to an open one, and any extra associated costs.
Thank goodness a diagnosis from a REAL doctor...stand away from the bad pans AmerLisa.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 2:38 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
I'm sorry that you've been in such pain. I'm told that the pain is horrendous.

It is rare to do an emergency operative procedure for pain alone if the cause of the pain is established and is one that usually settles with good pain relief.
It was 20 years ago. My old man was senior consultant on the MEC at the time. He diagnosed it late one Friday evening over the phone by quizzing the gf of that time (I was squirming around on the floor in agony), popped the 20 miles round with morphine and instructions, and I went in and they whipped it out Monday morning.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 2:04 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Was he British?
No.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 2:15 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't see where she said he was a non-resident. But how can someone scam anyone when they need their gallbladder removed? Just doesn't seem very charitable to help out this poor person. Not like he was asking for cosmetic surgery.....
It's not emergency medical treatment, it's an elective procedure. Quite a few patients turn down this operation, it's not life or death.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 2:21 am
Back where I belong!

I wasn't technically a resident. Yes I did have an address to supply, but certainly not a permanent resident. And I certainly wasn't trying to scam anyone for a free surgery..... I wonder if it was because I was white and not from a third world country.....or is it just that things are getting a lot tighter on the NHS.
Did you live in England legally or were you on holiday?

That should be your answer as to whether you were eligible.

I really thought you understood the NHS & how it worked, obviously I was wrong.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 2:36 am
Back where I belong!

Hmmm......who said I was comparing and contrasting to the US? Although I knew that sticky wicket would be played.

I was just replying to a comment that PartyStar made about someone "scamming" the NHS for a surgery that was obviously needed.
Obviously I need to break this down...

- Guy gets admitted via A&E for gallstones.
- Surgeons treat & discharge the patient, stating that it would be best in the long run to do a lap chole, patient added to waiting list.
- I have a date a week later, I ring patient at home to confirm he can come in that soon & also to update missing data from his admission.
- Patient confirms can attend operation date.
- I ask for his NHS number, which he doesn't know (not uncommon). I will get this from his GP.
- I ask for his GP details, he says he hasn't registered with one yet, patient asked to provide details when registered.
- Double checked address as postal code system not recognising the address.
- Letter taken by colleague to drop off at patient's home as she lives nearby.
- No such address found, patient called to confirm yet again...patient says he needs to call back later, which he did with a completely different house number. ???
- Booked in for a pre-op.
- Patient comes for pre-op & when the nurse asked for his NHS number & GP details, patient says he is not a resident.
- Patient services informed, figures for surgery given to patient, patient cancels operation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.