British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Denied entry when flagpoling (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/denied-entry-when-flagpoling-737167/)

jericho Oct 28th 2011 8:03 pm

Denied entry when flagpoling

So I've asked on the Canada forum, but someone suggested I ask on here too.

In April this year, we completed our Canadian immigration and to activate our Permanent Residency, we "flagpoled" at the Blaine border crossing.

As is usual, we were refused entry and sent on our way back to Canada.
Nothing sinister about it- no criminal issues etc.

Now, we're heading back to the UK this year, and we fly from Halifax to Philadelphia, and then on to Manchester.

The ESTA website asks if we've ever been refused entry to the US.
Clearly we have, but it was more of an administrative process than anything else.

Do I have to declare this on our ESTA application? In other words, should I say Yes or No. The obvious answer seems to be to mention it, but I've read conflicting stories about what to do. Some people have been told they dont need to, others have been told they do.

I just wanna do the right thing and not have a headache when we get to Philly, as we only have 2 hours between landing and taking off again.

Thanks for your help...

Englishmum Oct 28th 2011 8:29 pm

Re: Denied entry when flagpoling

Originally Posted by jericho (Post 9701783)

In April this year, we completed our Canadian immigration and to activate our Permanent Residency, we "flagpoled" at the Blaine border crossing.

Now, we're heading back to the UK this year, and we fly from Halifax to Philadelphia, and then on to Manchester.

Clearly we have, but it was more of an administrative process than anything else.

Do I have to declare this on our ESTA application? In other words, should I say Yes or No. The obvious answer seems to be to mention it, but I've read conflicting stories about what to do. Some people have been told they dont need to, others have been told they do.

I just wanna do the right thing and not have a headache when we get to Philly, as we only have 2 hours between landing and taking off again.

Thanks for your help...

I've never been to Halifax, NS, but I know that in Vancouver airport there are US Immigration staff based there. It may be the case that US Immigration officers are based in Halifax too for US-bound flights.

Is it possible for you to call the airport and find out? If so, you may be able to enquire with the US Immigration staff before you complete the ESTA form.

PS: I've just googled the airport and yes, the US Immigration does pre-clearing for flights to the US and you arrive there as a domestic passenger:

http://www.flyhalifax.com/ (see the Travel to the USA section). I would call the airport and ask if there is any way you could contact the US Immigration officers by phone, e-mail or maybe even in person if you live near the airport?

jericho Oct 28th 2011 9:12 pm

Thanks!

Rete Oct 29th 2011 1:27 pm

My grandson cleared US immigration/customs in Newark, NJ when he flew in from Halifax to visit.

JAJ Oct 31st 2011 1:08 am

Originally Posted by jericho (Post 9701783)

It's really not that usual ... most people manage to cross into the United States for a legitimate purpose and re-enter Canada incidentally on the way back.

Seems to me that a refusal is just that => you have to declare it on ESTA. If ESTA still grants you clearance, you are ok. If not, you need US tourist visas until you get Canadian passports.