Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

DELTA/KLM TO LONDON

DELTA/KLM TO LONDON

Old Aug 23rd 2010, 12:08 am
Just Joined

niksha is a jewel in the roughniksha is a jewel in the roughniksha is a jewel in the roughniksha is a jewel in the rough
Default DELTA/KLM TO LONDON

A few days before i left London to come back to Portland Oregon via Amsterdam on KLM(The ticket was a delta ticket but klm is their partner so we fly on KLM from london to Amserdam)i called delta and asked them what the weight limit was for carry on and was told up to 40lbs.Then my bro in law said i should call KLM since it was their flight and they told me it was 26lbs. I called delta again and they once again told me it was 40lbs . In the end i packed 26lbs to be on the safe side . BUT it sure would be nice if they could get their crap together. i would have thought it would be 40lbs as i did buy a bloody delta ticket but ofcourse u cant argue with the airport staff can u !!!The same thing happend to my extra checked in luggage. My wife and i bought back 2 boxes of goodies and were told by delta on the phone again that it would be $55 per extra box .Ofcourse when we get to the London KLM counter we are told it was 48 UK pounds. What the hell ???The klm lady eventually told me to pay up or leave the boxes there so i paid up. Ofcourse i sent delta an email 7 days ago but have not got a response back and i doubt if i will. Any one else have any issues like i did??
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 1:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Zonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DELTA/KLM TO LONDON

Never having had carry on weighed, what was the limit 26 or 40 lbs?

Last edited by Zonie; Aug 23rd 2010 at 1:06 am.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 1:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by niksha
A few days before i left London to come back to Portland Oregon via Amsterdam on KLM(The ticket was a delta ticket but klm is their partner so we fly on KLM from london to Amserdam)i called delta and asked them what the weight limit was for carry on and was told up to 40lbs.Then my bro in law said i should call KLM since it was their flight and they told me it was 26lbs. I called delta again and they once again told me it was 40lbs . In the end i packed 26lbs to be on the safe side . BUT it sure would be nice if they could get their crap together. i would have thought it would be 40lbs as i did buy a bloody delta ticket but ofcourse u cant argue with the airport staff can u !!!The same thing happend to my extra checked in luggage. My wife and i bought back 2 boxes of goodies and were told by delta on the phone again that it would be $55 per extra box .Ofcourse when we get to the London KLM counter we are told it was 48 UK pounds. What the hell ???The klm lady eventually told me to pay up or leave the boxes there so i paid up. Ofcourse i sent delta an email 7 days ago but have not got a response back and i doubt if i will. Any one else have any issues like i did??
My daughter just flew here and back on KLM/Delta (MAN to SEA and then SEA to MAN) She booked through KLM but the flight was Delta. On the way back she had an extra bag to check and was charged $55. However, all three of her bags (two she didn't have to pay for) weighed slightly over 50 and the guy let them through. It pays to have a nice check-in person. And then she had a carry on, but by the time she got to the gate, the agents said it was too heavy (we don't know what it weighed) so they checked it (for free! whew!) through to her final destination.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 2:45 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
However, all three of her bags (two she didn't have to pay for) weighed slightly over 50 and the guy let them through. It pays to have a nice check-in person.
Result! I was similarly lucky, last time I came back. Only fly in the ointment was, I had an overnight layover and the guy at kerbside check in spotted it the next day. He said "It's overweight, what do you want me to do?" I said "Turn a blind eye to it?" and slipped him some dosh. Not free, but way cheaper than the overweight fees.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Ofcourse i sent delta an email 7 days ago but have not got a response back and i doubt if i will.
Make sure you have your facts straight first by looking on Delta's website with regard to codeshares. Don't bother with emails. Write a letter to head office explaining the problems without getting angry, abusive, or throwing accusations. State what you want - for example, if the airline said free baggage but then you got charged $50, ask for the $50 back. State a reasonable time for them to reply (30 calendar days). If anything good happened, state that as well so they know you're not just a whinger. Get proof of posting, recorded delivery, or whatever the USPS calls it. I got $70 back from AA for an unrelated complaint last year, along with thanks and a note to say they would pass my compliments on to somebody I commended.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Zonie
Never having had carry on weighed, what was the limit 26 or 40 lbs?
KLM is 12 kg (26lbs)
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Zonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1chumly
KLM is 12 kg (26lbs)
I know, that's what the OP stated.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 4:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Zonie
I know, that's what the OP stated.
I figured because you asked what it was , you weren't sure.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 5:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1chumly
I figured because you asked what it was , you weren't sure.
I appreciate you are trying to be helpful but if you read the OP's post, his conundrum was whether the ticket he bought from Delta would have the Delta limit of 40lbs, or the fact it was a KLM flight, would mean a KLM limit of 26lbs. Hence my asking was it the 26 or 40 lb limit that applied.

As I said, I’ve never had a carry on weighed anyway.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 8:02 pm
Just Joined

niksha is a jewel in the roughniksha is a jewel in the roughniksha is a jewel in the roughniksha is a jewel in the rough

Dont write an email? and instead write a letter ??I thought that we weer now in the 21 st century and would get a reply back quicker than snail mail!!All i baically wanted to see was a definitive weight of the carry on, thats all and ofcourse if one calls THREE bloody times to delta and they all give you the same answer of $55 , you would think one should not have to worry .This has definitely taought me a lesson. Bugger the codeshares in the future!!!
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 8:23 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Make sure you have your facts straight first by looking on Delta's website with regard to codeshares. Don't bother with emails. Write a letter to head office explaining the problems without getting angry, abusive, or throwing accusations. State what you want - for example, if the airline said free baggage but then you got charged $50, ask for the $50 back. State a reasonable time for them to reply (30 calendar days). If anything good happened, state that as well so they know you're not just a whinger. Get proof of posting, recorded delivery, or whatever the USPS calls it. I got $70 back from AA for an unrelated complaint last year, along with thanks and a note to say they would pass my compliments on to somebody I commended.
+1 & then some.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 8:55 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Bugger the codeshares in the future!!!
Not a good choice, quite often the price for a code share on another airlines metal is cheaper than that airlines price. As an example a Continental code share on Virgin is often cheaper than the Virgin price.

Family use the Delta AMS - PDX flight when visiting, starting at either MAN or LBA, and buying the ticket from KLM has so far always been cheaper than the Delta price.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 12:38 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lansbury
Not a good choice, quite often the price for a code share on another airlines metal is cheaper than that airlines price. As an example a Continental code share on Virgin is often cheaper than the Virgin price.
Yep. First time I went to the US, HMG was paying and they did exactly that, for the discount. Only thing was, it meant we didn't get the free limo that pax with Virging tix got...