British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Delta Airlines and Travel Insurance (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/delta-airlines-travel-insurance-883158/)

bullettoothtony Sep 10th 2016 4:27 pm

Delta Airlines and Travel Insurance

I was caught up in the Delta Airlines fiasco last month and it caused us to experience delays and hotel cancellations. We had travel insurance independent of Delta. We contacted Delta to complain about the disruption and they have asked us to send them receipts from our trip showing the extra expenses we incurred as a result of the delayed/cancelled flights and lost baggage. We need to try and get reimbursed for a variety of extra expenses such as extra travel, clothing, toiletries and extra nights in hotels while also claiming for missed hotel nights and activities that we had prepaid but missed due to the late arrival at the destination.

My question is, if we submit receipts to Delta Airlines and they offer us a flight voucher or financial compensation are we then unable to make a claim on our travel insurance policy?

Obviously I want to avoid insurance fraud. My worry is that if Delta give us a flight voucher (likely of much lower value than the extra expenses we incurred) we then waive our right to make a travel insurance claim. In contacting Delta we are hoping for a voucher in recognition of all of the inconvenience we experienced (as well as a whole bunch of other related issues that I won't go into).

This feels an odd place to post a question about this. However i find this forum hugely helpful so even though i guess we are off topic I thought I would give it a go. I have searched on the internet for an answer to this and cannot find one- perhaps i am using the wrong search terms.

Pulaski Sep 10th 2016 4:38 pm

Re: Delta Airlines and Travel Insurance

You would need to check on the small print in your insurance. Common sense would suggest that you can claim on your insurance for your net out-of-pocket expenses (then you have the minefield of the value attributable to the voucher for future flights), but it is possible that the insurance might exclude you from claiming if you have already been partially compensated.

Noorah101 Sep 10th 2016 7:29 pm

I'm just curious why you are dealing with Delta at all. Wouldn't your independent insurance cover all the expenses you're trying to claim?

Rene

bullettoothtony Sep 10th 2016 8:35 pm

Thank you for your replies.
We are dealing with delta because, in recognition of the disruption sent us a flight voucher. They then asked for feedback. Given that the disruption meant missing the first day of our honeymoon and not having luggage for the first 4 days we said that the flight voucher was not going to make I'll feeling against Deltas service go away. They have now requested evidence of our disruption, presumably because they are considering increasing the voucher offer or something similar.

Noorah101 Sep 10th 2016 9:19 pm

Sorry, I didn't realize the voucher had already been issued.

Thanks,
Rene

scrubbedexpat099 Sep 10th 2016 11:18 pm

Who was your Insurer, first check the wording, usually travel delay has an inner limit.

And no double dipping.

bullettoothtony Sep 10th 2016 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 12048804)
Sorry, I didn't realize the voucher had already been issued.

Thanks,
Rene

Yes, and by the look of it they may issue another.

bullettoothtony Sep 10th 2016 11:47 pm

Thank you for your replies- agree that whatever delta can and do reimburse for cannot be claimed on insurance.

joto Sep 11th 2016 12:04 am

A voucher from Delta won't cover immediate cash expenses that you had to pay. I would tell them that you expect cash reimbursement for the full sum that you had to pay out, rather than a voucher, or as well as a voucher.

scrubbedexpat099 Sep 11th 2016 12:11 am

He is reliant on good will, which I guess does not extend beyond vouchers.

tonrob Sep 11th 2016 1:28 am

If Delta have issued a voucher without your acceptance of this as being an acceptable form of recompense, then tell them you don't accept and also what you really want. Go after your insurance for the same, but as has been advised, don't accept a double reimbursement if it came to it.

scrubbedexpat099 Sep 11th 2016 2:12 am

US rules apply, I believe they only need to re book them contractually.