British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Delta Airlines - one of the worst? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/delta-airlines-one-worst-450509/)

franc11s May 15th 2007 10:25 pm

Delta Airlines - one of the worst?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,272416,00.html

Interested in your views. Being in Atlanta mostly have to travel Delta to where I go for work. They suck... My 2 cents :-

Prices have gone up 2 fold in 18 months - service has gone down. Way down. the food was always bad now it's non-existent or a "snack".

I often have to pay full fare which means $700-$1500 return because of my travel schedule. Prices seem to have gone up for direct flights 2-3 fold !!

The seats are so uncomfortable and the plane is not probably cleaned - it's sometimes "horrible". More often there only be 2 people working in a plane full of 200 people.

the staff though are more often than not, quite pleasant. Some staff are just plain rude but that is true everywhere now!

All of this is OK BUT THAT IS WHY DELTA IS ON OR NEAR THE BOTTOM - I'd do anything NOT to have to fly DELTA.

miss scouse atl May 15th 2007 10:41 pm

Re: Delta Airlines - one of the worst?

Why not Airtran?:confused:

Tbag May 15th 2007 10:49 pm

I feel your pain :mad:
I used to live in Atlanta and flew Delta alot too.
I flew to the Uk with them 2 years ago from Wilmington NC and they were able to make me miss my connecting ATL flight to the UK, no hotel allowance, and rude customer service reps that could not give a toss. Crap food, no comp drinks for the long haul.
I flew with them again mistakenly again this year to UK, as the flight was cheapest at time.
On my return flight thru ATL I was delayed for 4 hours, was able to get on standby 2 hours earlier.
Got on the plane was in my seat and then the ticketing agent came on board asked me to leave as he had made a mistake giving me the seat and the plane also did not know if the luggage to fuel ratio was OK to get them to Wilmington?:blink:

I was so furious, jet lagged and will never fly Delta again :curse:
That said in years past they seemed ok but IMO gone straight to shite in the last few years. Service just horrific and zero customer service.

Vimto May 15th 2007 11:08 pm

Today they are starting a review to see where the new airport should be built as ATL is going to run out of capacity in the next decade.
Hopefully we get a low cost carrier like Southwest who may be attracted by a cheaper alternative, having said that if its going to take 10 years to build a new airport, they should decide it on Dobbins which must be capable and seems under utilized of late, plus its on the growing side of town.

USBound May 15th 2007 11:13 pm

about 8months ago Delta managed to LOSE my mum on a flight from UK->LAX... she's disabled, requires a wheelchair for long distances... we arranged everything with DELTA for her to be taken directly from one plane to the other for her connection at ATL...

she never turned up at LAX... many calls later and we found out they had "forgotten" to pick her up at her from her first flight and she'd missed her connection because no one could understand her (yorkshire + no teeth) she was having trouble getting help.

she ended up being about 5 hours late into LAX.

it gets better - on the return flight, again connecting at ATL they cancelled the flight... no warning, nothing... my mum ended up stuck in ATL for 24 hours with no money.

we'll never use DELTA again.

TouristTrap May 15th 2007 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by USBound (Post 4786348)
about 8months ago Delta managed to LOSE my mum on a flight from UK->LAX... she's disabled, requires a wheelchair for long distances... we arranged everything with DELTA for her to be taken directly from one plane to the other for her connection at ATL...

she never turned up at LAX... many calls later and we found out they had "forgotten" to pick her up at her from her first flight and she'd missed her connection because no one could understand her (yorkshire + no teeth) she was having trouble getting help.

it gets better - on the return flight, again connecting at ATL they cancelled the flight... no warning, nothing... my mum ended up stuck in ATL for 24 hours with no money.

:eek: :eek: I think I'll chance South African Airways back home instead of Delta for my next trip :eek: :eek: :eek:

southern comfort May 15th 2007 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by franc11s (Post 4786153)
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,272416,00.html

Interested in your views. Being in Atlanta mostly have to travel Delta to where I go for work. They suck... My 2 cents :-

Prices have gone up 2 fold in 18 months - service has gone down. Way down. the food was always bad now it's non-existent or a "snack".

I often have to pay full fare which means $700-$1500 return because of my travel schedule. Prices seem to have gone up for direct flights 2-3 fold !!

The seats are so uncomfortable and the plane is not probably cleaned - it's sometimes "horrible". More often there only be 2 people working in a plane full of 200 people.

the staff though are more often than not, quite pleasant. Some staff are just plain rude but that is true everywhere now!

All of this is OK BUT THAT IS WHY DELTA IS ON OR NEAR THE BOTTOM - I'd do anything NOT to have to fly DELTA.

How about Globespan checkit out on the "mapleleaf" Canada site

Toontje May 16th 2007 12:43 am

Originally Posted by USBound (Post 4786348)

Sounds like I should give my MIL a Delta ticket to wherever for her birthday..... :D

Bob May 16th 2007 12:55 am

There utterly shite and so inept, it's amazing :lol:

the in-laws just got back from a 30 yr anniversary cruise, had to fly down to miami, and delta had them flying to another destination, even though they had the ticket to show them and had confirmed the flight...also on the connecting flight, they changed gate about 5 times, and both flights were seriously delayed for various reasons, one was for major mechanical problems with the plane, including an aborted take off because something fell off the wing :D

TouristTrap May 16th 2007 1:14 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 4786555)
There utterly shite and so inept, it's amazing :lol:

the in-laws just got back from a 30 yr anniversary cruise, had to fly down to miami, and delta had them flying to another destination, even though they had the ticket to show them and had confirmed the flight...also on the connecting flight, they changed gate about 5 times, and both flights were seriously delayed for various reasons, one was for major mechanical problems with the plane, including an aborted take off because something fell off the wing :D

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Haggerwood May 16th 2007 2:25 am

Originally Posted by miss scouse atl (Post 4786229)
Why not Airtran?:confused:

I flew with Airtran to Colorado last week and NYC in March and had no probs. I flew with Delta 6 years ago when I came to the US and they were good back then but it was before their probs. BA on the other hand have always been shite.

Mallory May 16th 2007 2:42 am

Originally Posted by TouristTrap (Post 4786377)
:eek: :eek: I think I'll chance South African Airways back home instead of Delta for my next trip :eek: :eek: :eek:

my daughter went on SAA to JHBG, and there was no pre-ordered vegetarian meal for her. someone on the plane told her they had seen the flight crew eating it!

Tegwyn May 16th 2007 4:04 am

Originally Posted by Mallory (Post 4786716)
my daughter went on SAA to JHBG, and there was no pre-ordered vegetarian meal for her. someone on the plane told her they had seen the flight crew eating it!

That doesn't surprise me. My niece's hubby flew back to JHB from London and when he picked up his luggage, he was aware that it was heavier than normal. He opened it to find that they had emptied the contents and filled the case with rocks. :mad: Of course nobody had a clue as to what had happened to his luggage after checking it in. ;) Once upon a time, they were a first class carrier.:(

TouristTrap May 16th 2007 1:58 pm

He's not an Afrikaner by any chance? :rofl: :rofl: :o :o

TouristTrap May 16th 2007 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by Mallory (Post 4786716)

Actually, I'm more worried about the fact that the airplanes are not being maintained than about a meal.

I fly via Europe whenever I fly out there anyway. Get to break my journey by seeing family and ensure that I fly a first class airline.