Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Delta Airlines - one of the worst?

Delta Airlines - one of the worst?

Old May 16th 2007, 2:32 pm
British New Yorker

veronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Delta Airlines - one of the worst?

I fly to the UK every year for more than 30 years, no probs with either BA or Virgin. I flew Delta ONCE, can't temember where I was going but never used them again! I am flying Jet Blue to Clifornia next week, lol with all their recent problems we will see how that goes.
Old May 16th 2007, 6:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by veronica jayne
I fly to the UK every year for more than 30 years, no probs with either BA or Virgin. I flew Delta ONCE, can't temember where I was going but never used them again! I am flying Jet Blue to Clifornia next week, lol with all their recent problems we will see how that goes.
after many flights with delta NEVER AGAIN!!!! It is one of the dirtiest planes i have ever been on!!! Service i found was ok, but the planes... i was in a seat with the cushion wobbley for 8 hours.. it was disgusting!!!
Old May 17th 2007, 2:23 am
Paul

smeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud of

We flew Delta to Cancun during Hurricane Wilma in 2005. Flight down was perfectly fine, (oh, except it should have been cancelled, as a *****ing hurricane was coming in!), but trying to get us out afterwards was a massive cluster *****.

It took us 4 days before we got a flight back to the states, we were lucky enough our hotel let us stay in our flooded room with no power or drinking water. There were people staying in the park. When we finally got to the airport, they were only putting *one* flight on a day, 190 seats!

You find out how they really are during an emergency case like that. Never again. And don't get me started on Expedia
Old May 17th 2007, 11:38 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

They are useless. They left my daughters friend utterly stranded at JFK. She was flying to see us (from the UK) and was an unaccompanied minor but that counted for nothing with Delta.
They thought that an 18 hour wait ...over night and alone in the airport was fine. She couldn't leave the airport because she was an UM but no-one was able to stay with her...but never mind, Delta felt she would be safe within the confines of the airport.

We found another flight for her with Jet Blue, raised utter hell with Delta, all to no avail. In the end the rep from Jet Blue went and found her and took charge of everything.

US Airways are strong contenders for the title of most useless airline and may knock Delta off the top spot...watch this space.
Old May 17th 2007, 11:56 am
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tegwyn
He opened it to find that they had emptied the contents and filled the case with rocks. (
ROcks of what - Crack ?
Old May 17th 2007, 1:30 pm
TKO
Sweatin' it up in Bama

TKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really nice

Flown Delta to Atlanta from Edinburgh and back twice in the last 3 months, once with a return to Birmingham, AL added in too, and it has been fine each time. Better than fine actually, the four transatlantic flights all came in early, food was good and the attendents friendly.

The above stories are all horrible though.

Lucky so far I guess, but its a great route - saves changing in London or further North in America to get to the South. Long may my luck continue.

However, Virgin were crap in every way, especially the seats on my trip to Australia so they are on my "NEVER AGAIN" list.
Old May 17th 2007, 2:03 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TKO

However, Virgin were crap in every way, especially the seats on my trip to Australia so they are on my "NEVER AGAIN" list.
funny that, because everytime I've flown Virgin, they were top notch, to the US, to Japan etc
Old May 17th 2007, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

Leeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I love Delta, used them every trip to the UK and back. Planes are always clean, staff polite and helpful. I've had worse experiences with US Airways and American Airlines than Delta. I always fly ATL > Manchester.

I'd love to fly BA or Virgin but have always found them to be expensive to the point of silliness and they don't seem to do routes from ATL > Manchester, it's always to Gatwich or London Heathrow and given I'm visiting Leeds on trips, those destinations aren't the best. No, Delta is great for me, always has been and I'll continue to use them until a cheaper/better option that gets me from Huntsville to Leeds comes along.
Old May 17th 2007, 3:33 pm
TKO
Sweatin' it up in Bama

TKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bob
funny that, because everytime I've flown Virgin, they were top notch, to the US, to Japan etc
Yeah, funny how it goes. This plane was awful - the seat stands had large boxes round them where the seats went into the floor with a massive negative effect on foot room. Flew Virgin Blue in Australia from Sydney to Melbourne - far more space.
Old May 17th 2007, 4:03 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TKO
Yeah, funny how it goes. This plane was awful - the seat stands had large boxes round them where the seats went into the floor with a massive negative effect on foot room. Flew Virgin Blue in Australia from Sydney to Melbourne - far more space.
I think a lot of it depends on which route you go, BA generally are really good, but there are some routes I wouldn't want to take, because they dump all the shite planes on the routes they don't fly often or don't make the money...that said, they make all their money on the 20 odd first class flights, that and cargo, so they aren't to worried about the cattle class
Old May 17th 2007, 4:08 pm
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute

I've always flown BA, mainly because they're one of only 2 airlines that fly daily from Detroit to London, and they're usually cheaper than Northwest. Plus, my family members who've flown with both seem to prefer BA. The last trip with them was especially nice, as they're upgrading the entertainment in all the cabins to VOD (Video On Demand), Starting with their fleet of Boeing 767's, which just happen to be what they use on the DTW-LHR route.
The food was pretty good as well, although it seems that with BA you either get a fantastic meal, or a bloody awful meal.
Old May 17th 2007, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

commoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud of

My family is also forced to use Delta, and for an airline that flies internationally, I was amazed how inept they were. Granted, I flew with them for years without too much hassle, but then the kid came:-

(Flying from Gatwick to Atlanta with no husband and an 8-month old)

Delta: Car seats must be FAA approved.

Me: But I live in England. The FAA doesn't exist here. Can you give me the guidelines I need to follow when using a foreign car seat?

Delta (Irish woman in Delta's London office): The car seat must be FAA approved. If you have any questions contact the TSA.

Me: So what are non-Americans expected to use when flying out with infants? Are they all expected to call the TSA?

Delta: At worst you'll have to hold your daughter for 13 hours.

=====================

Me: I need a miniscule amount of hot water to add to my baby's bottle so her milk won't be ice cold. Can you assure me hot water will be provided?

(Me knowing providing hot water could raise issues of liability.)

Delta: Uh....

Delta: Uhh........ we will leave that to the crew's discretion.

In the end I brought a ridiculous amount of food for my kid because I couldn't get a straight answer from Delta, over the phone or in person from the Gatwick personnel. I brought hot water in a thermos also, because I had no idea how daughter would react to being on a plane. Figured warmer milk would soothe her.

The bag I had to bring was so heavy, it left a deep purple groove in my shoulder that took days to go away.

=====================

(Flying back into Gatwick)

Oldies on plane: Mr Steward, will you please arrange passage on one of those motorized thingamagigs so we don't have to schlep all the way to immigration?

Mr Steward: Oh certainly. Just stay on the plane after everyone else gets off, and there will be a cart waiting for you.

Me: I have a small baby, a heavy ass bag and a heavy car seat. Can I get a ride too?

Mr Steward: Yes, just depart the plane last and you'll be fine.

Us: We walk off the plane and attempt to get on the carts.

Cart driver: No babies allowed on my wheelie cart, lady.

=====================

I put kid in car seat and dragged the car seat on the floor while carrying the heavy bag. Took us 45 minutes to get to immigration. No one stopped and offered to help.

=====================

This happened in June 2006. I was initially excited about flying home. I was naive into thinking I could be armed with the proper information needed to fly with an infant. With proper planning everything should have been ok. Unfortunately no Delta employee on either side of the pond was willing and able to give me definitive information on what to expect and what (services) they were willing to provide.

Every time I think of it it still makes my blood boil. :curse:
Old May 17th 2007, 9:23 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

You poor thing. From experience with my little ones, now mind, this was a few years ago, BA are the best and well worth the price when it comes to small children/babies. They really used to go out of their way to help the parents.

Originally Posted by commoner
My family is also forced to use Delta, and for an airline that flies internationally, I was amazed how inept they were. Granted, I flew with them for years without too much hassle, but then the kid came:-

(Flying from Gatwick to Atlanta with no husband and an 8-month old)

Delta: Car seats must be FAA approved.

Me: But I live in England. The FAA doesn't exist here. Can you give me the guidelines I need to follow when using a foreign car seat?

Delta (Irish woman in Delta's London office): The car seat must be FAA approved. If you have any questions contact the TSA.

Me: So what are non-Americans expected to use when flying out with infants? Are they all expected to call the TSA?

Delta: At worst you'll have to hold your daughter for 13 hours.

=====================

Me: I need a miniscule amount of hot water to add to my baby's bottle so her milk won't be ice cold. Can you assure me hot water will be provided?

(Me knowing providing hot water could raise issues of liability.)

Delta: Uh....

Delta: Uhh........ we will leave that to the crew's discretion.

In the end I brought a ridiculous amount of food for my kid because I couldn't get a straight answer from Delta, over the phone or in person from the Gatwick personnel. I brought hot water in a thermos also, because I had no idea how daughter would react to being on a plane. Figured warmer milk would soothe her.

The bag I had to bring was so heavy, it left a deep purple groove in my shoulder that took days to go away.

=====================

(Flying back into Gatwick)

Oldies on plane: Mr Steward, will you please arrange passage on one of those motorized thingamagigs so we don't have to schlep all the way to immigration?

Mr Steward: Oh certainly. Just stay on the plane after everyone else gets off, and there will be a cart waiting for you.

Me: I have a small baby, a heavy ass bag and a heavy car seat. Can I get a ride too?

Mr Steward: Yes, just depart the plane last and you'll be fine.

Us: We walk off the plane and attempt to get on the carts.

Cart driver: No babies allowed on my wheelie cart, lady.

=====================

I put kid in car seat and dragged the car seat on the floor while carrying the heavy bag. Took us 45 minutes to get to immigration. No one stopped and offered to help.

=====================

This happened in June 2006. I was initially excited about flying home. I was naive into thinking I could be armed with the proper information needed to fly with an infant. With proper planning everything should have been ok. Unfortunately no Delta employee on either side of the pond was willing and able to give me definitive information on what to expect and what (services) they were willing to provide.

Every time I think of it it still makes my blood boil. :curse:
Old May 17th 2007, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

commoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
You poor thing. From experience with my little ones, now mind, this was a few years ago, BA are the best and well worth the price when it comes to small children/babies. They really used to go out of their way to help the parents.
My frustration really lies with not being able to get a concise answer from any Delta employee. It's fine if they don't want to provide hot water, and it's ok if they can't guarantee me a fruit plate on the journey (ordered to and fro but not delivered or acknowledged each time). But tell me clearly what's going to be provided so I can bring along my own bag 'o tricks.

Honestly, I couldn't have done anymore than I did to adequately prepare for that trip.

But hey, I'm having a strong whiskey and coke now so all is right with the world!
Old May 17th 2007, 9:43 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smeg
You find out how they really are during an emergency case like that. Never again. And don't get me started on Expedia
What are expedia meant to do - they are basically a booking agent - they don't own any planes of their own