Dellgra

Old Feb 9th 2019, 7:25 pm
Just Joined

dellgra is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dellgra

This my first post on British experts so I hope I am in the right place.
We are currently applying for immigration to Florida and have almost reached the end of the first stage. As part of the preparation, I have been researching health insurance costs by using the Health 'marketplace ' where various policies by Blue X, Ambetter, are displayed according to your personal details entered. Our income includes an Armed Forces, Police and 2 UK State pensions. In the US (Florida) do all of these count as income or just the Armed Forces and Police pensions? Furthermore, do I input the gross figure or net, as all tax shall be deducted automatically in the UK before we receive it.
Old Feb 9th 2019, 7:36 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dellgra

Originally Posted by dellgra
This my first post on British experts so I hope I am in the right place.
We are currently applying for immigration to Florida and have almost reached the end of the first stage. As part of the preparation, I have been researching health insurance costs by using the Health 'marketplace ' where various policies by Blue X, Ambetter, are displayed according to your personal details entered. Our income includes an Armed Forces, Police and 2 UK State pensions. In the US (Florida) do all of these count as income or just the Armed Forces and Police pensions? Furthermore, do I input the gross figure or net, as all tax shall be deducted automatically in the UK before we receive it.
This is your 4th post and this isn't British Experts but British Expats.

Sorry but I've never had to use the healthcare marketplace for insurance. Someone will be along to help you out but it might take awhile as there is nothing in your subject line to indicate what you are posting about.

My thought is that it is gross income, before deductions. Are either of the "we" in your post a US Citizen? What visa have you applied for that you have reached the first end of?
Old Feb 9th 2019, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your prompt reply. Sorry about the 'expert's - predicted text!! I should have proof read before posting. As for the previous posts I don't recall them but I shall check.
​​​​​​As for our immigration type, our daughter, now a US citizen, is "claiming" us. We started last May and it uspually takes 8 months for the first stage and if successful a further 2 months for the medical, interviews etc.
With regard to our pensions I didn't know if our State Pensions were equivalent to the US social security benefits. We have a lot to learn but I'm sure we shall get there.
Old Feb 9th 2019, 8:41 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your prompt reply. Sorry about the 'expert's - predicted text!! I should have proof read before posting. As for the previous posts I don't recall them but I shall check.
​​​​​​As for our immigration type, our daughter, now a US citizen, is "claiming" us. We started last May and it uspually takes 8 months for the first stage and if successful a further 2 months for the medical, interviews etc.
With regard to our pensions I didn't know if our State Pensions were equivalent to the US social security benefits. We have a lot to learn but I'm sure we shall get there.
Your daughter isn't "claiming" you, she has sponsored you for a visa that will lead to permanent residence aka "a green card", upon entry to the US.

​​​​​​​And yes, your British state pensions are equivalent income to US Social Security. All income figures should be given gross because US income tax is an unholy mess and leads to wildly varying net income.
Old Feb 9th 2019, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for that Pulaski. Yes, correct term should have been sponsor. I needed the clarification so that I could get a reasonable accurate quote for health insurance when I used the healthcare.gov website and entered my income details. Thank you once again for your reply.
​​​​​​
Old Feb 9th 2019, 10:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I think government pensions are treated differently in some scenarios. Hopefully iansbury will come along and answer this question.
Old Feb 10th 2019, 1:14 am
Forum Regular

Winston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for that Pulaski. Yes, correct term should have been sponsor. I needed the clarification so that I could get a reasonable accurate quote for health insurance when I used the healthcare.gov website and entered my income details. Thank you once again for your reply.
​​​​​​
A word of warning - be very careful when using the healthcare.gov website to estimate costs. I put in my income details and got a 'reasonable' premium on which I based my calculations. When I entered my details for real, the price was much (X3) higher.

It actually worked out to be more cost effective to take an insurance outside of the marketplace for my family.

Tax and healthcare are complicated.

Edit to add: I'm pretty sure you have to pay the full rate on the healthcare and are not eligible for tax subsidy as a condition of the affidavit of support.

Good luck
Old Feb 10th 2019, 1:44 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
I think government pensions are treated differently in some scenarios. Hopefully iansbury will come along and answer this question.
​​​​​​​Government pensions are usually taxed at source no matter in which country you live, but that doesn't impact the applicable value for health insurance purposes, which is the gross value.
Old Feb 10th 2019, 3:16 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I believe that someone with no tax basis in the UK pays no tax on a state pension there (at least, when it is sent directly to the US), but the pension is then taxable as income in the US.
Old Feb 10th 2019, 5:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I believe that someone with no tax basis in the UK pays no tax on a state pension there (at least, when it is sent directly to the US), but the pension is then taxable as income in the US.

That's correct. However that's not true of military (and maybe police - lansbury will know - pensions) which will be taxed by the UK and not by the US. But I think it's all moot anyway: according to this chart, not only is taxable pension income counted, so is "Excluded (untaxed) foreign income". So I believe the OP will have to include all their income from pensions in the ACA subsidy calculation:

https://www.healthcare.gov/income-an...mation/income/

Edit: otoh, maybe that "Excluded (untaxed) foreign income" is a reference to the foreign earned income exclusion. Hmmm.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Feb 10th 2019 at 5:39 am.
Old Feb 10th 2019, 5:25 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Our income includes an Armed Forces, Police and 2 UK State pensions. In the US (Florida) do all of these count as income or just the Armed Forces and Police pensions? Furthermore, do I input the gross figure or net, as all tax shall be deducted automatically in the UK before we receive it.
If you only have British Citizenship and are living in the USA, your Armed Forces and Police Pensions can only be taxed in the UK. They are Government Service Pensions. If in the future you become US citizens and live in the USA they can only be taxed in the US. The UK/US Tax Treaty is very specific about how Government Service Pensions are taxed.

Your 2 UK State Pensions should be paid to you without income tax being deducted at source, and would then be taxed in the USA. You would need to list them on your US tax return.