British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Dell or Gateway or ....? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/dell-gateway-298692/)

Bob Apr 24th 2005 12:39 pm

Re: Dell or Gateway or ....?

Originally Posted by rincewind

As for viruses, sure, there are more for the PC but that's due to their popularity. And as for worrying about viruses? Nah, I have everything in place for that but the main thing is common sense. If you're dumb enough to open an .exe file sent in a spam mail, then it's your own fault :D

Exactly...and in this day and age when there's so much on the news, magazines etc, people should know what to do to protect themselves, especially with all the decent free software for it, there really isn't an excuse these days.

psb182 Apr 24th 2005 12:43 pm

dell for a desktop and toshiba for a laptop ;)

Hammo Apr 24th 2005 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by Minty
Just about to buy a new computer. Want a fairly high spec one? Anyone got any views on which make to go for?

Minty

I would recommend an Emachines - the best bang you can get for your buck IMO.

This model is currently at a cracking price - $579.99

http://www.e4me.com/products/product...Machines_T6212

dbj1000 Apr 24th 2005 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by Hammo

http://www.e4me.com/products/product...Machines_T6212

Mmm. Nice.

I think I'd rather gnaw my own mouse-wielding-hand off, thanks.

How about this little machine, at a cracking price:

Mac Mini

Hammo Apr 24th 2005 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Mmm. Nice.

I think I'd rather gnaw my own mouse-wielding-hand off, thanks.

How about this little machine, at a cracking price:

Mac Mini

You're having a laugh! Where's the multi layer dvd burner, 8-in-1 media reader and 160 gb hard drive in there then?

Macs in my opinion are overrated and overpriced. This is not the first time I have come across an arrogant mac owner who does nothing but slate Windows. Yes it has it's flaws but it serves 95% of the world perfectly fine.

Remember that the poster asked for recommendations for Windows pc's, not macs.

Ray Apr 24th 2005 2:55 pm

l]

I had to put a 13 month old Emachine to sleep ..it was faulty from birth ..
It only took one round of 00 buckshot to exterminate it ...
Get a Dell...........

Bob Apr 24th 2005 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
I had to put a 13 month old Emachine to sleep ..it was faulty from birth ..
It only took one round of 00 buckshot to exterminate it ...
Get a Dell...........

Yup...emachines are generally the budget puter for a reason, there a bit pants and unreliable....fine for a first puter, but nothing more than that, certainly not high end...

peacelover Apr 24th 2005 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
Exactly...and in this day and age when there's so much on the news, magazines etc, people should know what to do to protect themselves, especially with all the decent free software for it, there really isn't an excuse these days.

I agree there, we all have so much on offer to us and a lot of it free. We just have to take the time and make the effort to keep our pc safe from virus/trojans etc. I treasure my pc and really look after it.

dbj1000 Apr 24th 2005 3:15 pm

You're having a laugh! Where's the multi layer dvd burner, 8-in-1 media reader and 160 gb hard drive in there then?

Macs in my opinion are overrated and overpriced. This is not the first time I have come across an arrogant mac owner who does nothing but slate Windows. Yes it has it's flaws but it serves 95% of the world perfectly fine.

Remember that the poster asked for recommendations for Windows pc's, not macs.

You're right Hammo. I was having a laugh. I guess I didn't put enough smileys in there for you. :D :) :D :) :D

Always nice to be called arrogant by some silly bugger with a Windows fetish though :p

Hammo Apr 24th 2005 3:31 pm

Silly bugger, yup that's me to a tee as my good wife will testify to :D

I don't have a Windows fetish mate, far from it but it works for me. I did use an Imac in a previous job and I just didn't like it. Each to their own I guess.

And I'm sorry for calling you arrogant, that was well out of order. Guess I'm still suffering with this wicked hangover and am in a bad mood!

dbj1000 Apr 24th 2005 3:41 pm

Silly bugger, yup that's me to a tee as my good wife will testify to :D

I don't have a Windows fetish mate, far from it but it works for me. I did use an Imac in a previous job and I just didn't like it. Each to their own I guess.

And I'm sorry for calling you arrogant, that was well out of order. Guess I'm still suffering with this wicked hangover and am in a bad mood!

No problem. I am arrogant, but I don't know you well enough for you to call me names :)

I couldn't help but be reminded that back in 1999 eMachines launched themselves into the international computer market with their stylish and innovative eOne computer...

http://www.diarioti.com/noticias/199.../emachines.gif

...only to be sued to hell by Apple for the blatant iMac rip-off, forcing eMachines to retire to the drawing board for another 6 months :)

king.bob Apr 25th 2005 2:07 am

I Just customized my ideal Mac on their web site. It only costs a little over $10,000. Think I will buy a couple later. !!!!!!!!!! :eek:

ukemigrant Apr 25th 2005 2:15 am

Originally Posted by Minty
Just about to buy a new computer. Want a fairly high spec one? Anyone got any views on which make to go for?

Minty

Alienware - 'nuff said. If you've got $5k to spare they do a great one with dual gfx card - gets you 500 frames per sec at 1600x1200. Or you could get a crappy dell....

anotherlimey Apr 25th 2005 2:21 am

Originally Posted by ukemigrant
Alienware - 'nuff said. If you've got $5k to spare they do a great one with dual gfx card - gets you 500 frames per sec at 1600x1200. Or you could get a crappy dell....

That's just what I need to do web browsing and word processing http://www.britishexpats.com/forum/i...s/rolleyes.gif

TRPardoe Apr 25th 2005 2:41 am

Originally Posted by dbj1000
...or you could just cut all that crap and buy a Mac.

That way you would have a really well built machine with an operating system years in advance of WinXP, and wouldn't need to worry about viruses, trojans, spyware and the endless stream of security concerns plaguing PCs today.

I use many high-end PCs running most flavours of Windows from Win 3.1 through WinXP, and I am always relieved to come home to my Mac!

It's funny how the only people who rave about Macs are the 3% of people who have them. Can the other 97% be so wrong ?

I have been a Windows Lan and Mac Lan administrator and I wouldn't touch a Mac with a bargepole unless I was a Pagemaker or Quark user. For those who don't know, the Mac OS is optimised to produce the highest benchmark scores when running Pagemaker.