Reload this Page >

Delays in getting residency

Delays in getting residency

Old Apr 6th 2004, 1:23 pm
Just Joined

dawnrazor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Delays in getting residency

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/06/ny...06VISA.html?hp

Has anyone here been a victim of these delays?
Old Apr 6th 2004, 2:44 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Delays in getting residency

Originally posted by dawnrazor
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/06/ny...06VISA.html?hp

Has anyone here been a victim of these delays?
Need registration to read article so I don't know what you're referring to. Can you summarize?

Also, are you a "victim" of the delays?

NC Penguin
Old Apr 6th 2004, 5:47 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

Originally posted by NC Penguin
Need registration to read article so I don't know what you're referring to. Can you summarize?

Also, are you a "victim" of the delays?

NC Penguin
The story is that the Vermont BCIS service center is swamped and wait times have quadroupled since new 9/11 background checks came in. Lots of new tasks no new staff = delay. For replacement green cards gone from 6 months to 19 months etc.

Whats happens if your card expires before you get a new one? i have a conditional as we were under 2 years married at POE. I have to send in the relevant form not more than 90 days before the 2 year anniversary of date of entry. So what happens if i do that but with all the delays they dont send me a new card before the other one expires?
Old Apr 7th 2004, 2:13 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Duncs
.....Whats happens if your card expires before you get a new one? i have a conditional as we were under 2 years married at POE. I have to send in the relevant form not more than 90 days before the 2 year anniversary of date of entry. So what happens if i do that but with all the delays they dont send me a new card before the other one expires?
Don't worry, I am in the same boat but a year or so ahead of you.

I submitted my papers early in the 90 day window approaching the second anniversary of my arrival in the US, and a month or so later received a receipt and advice that my I551 visa has been extended for 12 months, so the INS has given themselves a year to get their @rse into gear.

Of course if they don't hurry up I will be applying for citizenship before my greencard has been replaced!
Old Apr 7th 2004, 3:14 am
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Pulaski
Don't worry, I am in the same boat but a year or so ahead of you.

I submitted my papers early in the 90 day window approaching the second anniversary of my arrival in the US, and a month or so later received a receipt and advice that my I551 visa has been extended for 12 months, so the INS has given themselves a year to get their @rse into gear.

Of course if they don't hurry up I will be applying for citizenship before my greencard has been replaced!
How long is the naturalisation process taking now though!
Old Apr 7th 2004, 6:58 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

How long is the naturalisation process taking now though!
Mine took two years through the famous Chicago office. They also serve, who only stand and wait....... At the "exam", they asked me against which country had the colonies rebelled to get their independence as a nation.
Old Apr 7th 2004, 7:15 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Originally posted by Lion in Winter
Mine took two years through the famous Chicago office. They also serve, who only stand and wait....... At the "exam", they asked me against which country had the colonies rebelled to get their independence as a nation.
If only they understood irony!

2 years thats a long time i was anticipating 6-9 months, why so slow?
Old Apr 8th 2004, 4:25 am
Forum Regular

suzieque is an unknown quantity at this point

[i]Originally posted by Duncs [/i
Whats happens if your card expires before you get a new one? i have a conditional as we were under 2 years married at POE. I have to send in the relevant form not more than 90 days before the 2 year anniversary of date of entry. So what happens if i do that but with all the delays they dont send me a new card before the other one expires?

I had a conditional one too and only realised it had expired when I want to make a trip to UK, it had been expired about 3 months and I'd been working the whole time!!!

I am sure if your paperwork is already sent then it's OK.
Suzie
Old Apr 8th 2004, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

The story is that the Vermont BCIS service center is swamped and wait times have quadroupled since new 9/11 background checks came in. Lots of new tasks no new staff = delay.

This made me laugh. And what was their excuse for the appalling delays BEFORE 9/11 LOL. Well we were given excuses during our 8 year wait... Hurricane Andrew flattening the INS in Miami, Computer error in Texas (throwing all applications out of order), FBI inadequacy (losing our fingerprints etc)..... the only thing that changes with immigration is the excuses for delays.
Old Apr 8th 2004, 8:52 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

If only they understood irony!

2 years thats a long time i was anticipating 6-9 months, why so slow?
Nobody could tell me why it took so long, or, before the process was finished, how much longer I would have to wait. The Chicago office is notoriously swamped and slow on everything. One theory I heard from my Congresswoman's office was that the IRS (as it still was) did get some more people on board to speed up the process, but decided to concentrate on new applications, thus making the new applicants happier and those already in line had to wait even longer, on the theory that those who had already been waiting a long time were in any case already pissed off. It may be better now, who knows. This was two years ago. They then took another two years to process my husband's Permanent Residency application.

On the irony thing, I looked at the officer to see if she was joking, or even smiling. She wasn't.