British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   DeLay Site Attacks Prosecutor (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/delay-site-attacks-prosecutor-332013/)

Bob Oct 18th 2005 1:45 am

DeLay Site Attacks Prosecutor

http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,69226,00.html

"Stung by his recent indictment in Texas, Tom Delay is trying to turn his legal woes into a financial boon for his re-election. The former House majority leader is using his congressional campaign to distribute to voters derogatory information about the prosecutor who brought the charges against him and to solicit donations for his re-election."

So what does anyone think of that then?

havent' been following it all that much lately, but came across this and wondered what people thought about it all...asking for donations at the same time, cheeky git...

fatbrit Oct 18th 2005 1:56 am

Re: DeLay Site Attacks Prosecutor

Originally Posted by Bob

Current Republican morality is perverse. But, I think the way it's going they're all finished anyway. America seems to need to step very close to the precipice before she reverses. Luckily, the reverse has been visible ever since the Schaivo shenanigans, and it seems to increase with a new story about their morality or cock-ups every couple of months or so. If the shift isn't noticeable in the mid-term elections next year, it may be time to leave them all to it and look for a rising rather than a falling empire.

Angry White Pyjamas Oct 18th 2005 3:14 am

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Current Republican morality is perverse. But, I think the way it's going they're all finished anyway. America seems to need to step very close to the precipice before she reverses. Luckily, the reverse has been visible ever since the Schaivo shenanigans, and it seems to increase with a new story about their morality or cock-ups every couple of months or so. If the shift isn't noticeable in the mid-term elections next year, it may be time to leave them all to it and look for a rising rather than a falling empire.

If they havent nuked them all first.

fatbrit Oct 18th 2005 3:18 am

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
If they havent nuked them all first.

They start nuking, got a feeling they'll be nuked back these days. Also, their military's falling to bits, too, if you hadn't noticed.

Angry White Pyjamas Oct 18th 2005 3:32 am

They start nuking, got a feeling they'll be nuked back these days. Also, their military's falling to bits, too, if you hadn't noticed.

And thats my worry. Im sitting in prime target land. And anything coming from cuba is coming here too. Somehow I dont think the coastguard can stop a full on invasion

fatbrit Oct 18th 2005 3:35 am

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
And thats my worry. Im sitting in prime target land. And anything coming from cuba is coming here too. Somehow I dont think the coastguard can stop a full on invasion

Judging by the excellent workings of the command and control structures demonstrated during Katarina, think an invader starting at the Florida coast would probably make the Rockies before the home resistance started.

Bob Oct 18th 2005 3:36 am

Judging by the excellent workings of the command and control structures demonstrated during Katarina, think an invader starting at the Florida coast would probably make the Rockies before the home resistance started.

unless they got flooded...

Angry White Pyjamas Oct 18th 2005 3:38 am

At least. Lets be honest no one in Florida is going to stop them...then what..Georgia..Alabama...Louisiana...Kansas...nope . Not much to stop them. And we'd have to wait for God to give GW the go ahead to mount some kind of counter-offensive.

Although, life down here wouldnt change much afterwards to be honest.

snowbunny Oct 18th 2005 5:09 am

Originally Posted by Bob

"Stung by his recent indictment in Texas, Tom Delay is trying to turn his legal woes into a financial boon for his re-election. The former House majority leader is using his congressional campaign to distribute to voters derogatory information about the prosecutor who brought the charges against him and to solicit donations for his re-election."

Bad and wrong. :(

Tom DeLay is an evil, evil bastard.

Bob Oct 18th 2005 5:12 am

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Bad and wrong. :(

Tom DeLay is an evil, evil bastard.

no mincing your words there then :D

snowbunny Oct 18th 2005 5:18 am

Originally Posted by Bob
no mincing your words there then :D

No.

This is the guy who forced legislation through the *Texas* legislature to gerrymander Texas federal congressional districts to ensure Republicans will be amply represented at the federal level. He did this because he stated that Texas is overwhelmingly Republican but somehow was electing disproportionate numbers of Democrats to Congress. He believes it only fair to ensure proper Republican representation for more than two decades to come.

Of course, such a sweeping change didn't go through smoothly, even in "overwhelmingly Republican" Texas. He called in favours and did some for others, and in the meantime he broke the laws. Now he's saying he shouldn't be charged under a stricter newer law cos some of his politicking rackets took place a year or two before the newer laws came into effect.

The bastard has the bollocks to say "I'm being indicted because of partisan politics." Even were that true, and it is not, it's a bit rich coming from someone who connived to have his party's politics represented well into the future, isn't it?

Bob Oct 18th 2005 5:46 am

The bastard has the bollocks to say "I'm being indicted because of partisan politics." Even were that true, and it is not, it's a bit rich coming from someone who connived to have his party's politics represented well into the future, isn't it?

Is a bit...whatever happened to politicians resigning and then blowing their head off?

Hiro11 Oct 18th 2005 11:12 am

I personally hate DeLay as well, but this story is hardly one of a virtuous prosecutor striving to right an egregious wrong.

No.

This is the guy who forced legislation through the *Texas* legislature to gerrymander Texas federal congressional districts to ensure Republicans will be amply represented at the federal level.

True, but since DeLay's political action committee was named Texans for a Republican Majority, this goal was hardly kept secret. It's a legitimate (if somewhat shameless) political gambit. Also, the Democrats of Texas didn't really distinguish themselves by fleeing to motels in Oklahoma during the ensuing redistricting vote. They knew they'd loose, so they leave the state: democracy in action.

Of course, such a sweeping change didn't go through smoothly, even in "overwhelmingly Republican" Texas. He called in favours and did some for others, and in the meantime he broke the laws.
Sez you, we'll see if he actually gets convicted.

Jesus Christ, that's pretty strong.

Before you dismiss DeLay's charges of partisanship, I would check out Ronnie Earle's record (the failed Kay Bailey Hutchinson prosecution, the failed Jim Mattox prosecution etc.). He's probably not a Democratic partisan (although he is most definitely a liberal Democrat), but the man does have quite a history of prosecuting enemies on less-than-convincing evidence.

So, to sum up, DeLay is most likely a Machiavellian scumbag who's more interested in political machinations than any real principles, but Ronnie Earle is probably an arrogant zealot who cares more about damning foes than any real principles. Choose the horse you back carefully.

snowbunny Oct 18th 2005 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by Hiro11
So, to sum up, DeLay is most likely a Machiavellian scumbag who's more interested in political machinations than any real principles, but Ronnie Earle is probably an arrogant zealot who cares more about damning foes than any real principles. Choose the horse you back carefully.

Since I actually live in the district that elected Ronnie Earle, I think my opinion carries a bit of weight. He is not an arrogant zealot, and has prosecuted more Democrats than Republicans, which took some doing given that Democrats are in the minority in this state.

Campaign reform laws *and enforcement* are dearly needed and yet the wimpy laws that the legislatures churn out are designed to be intentionally vague and hard to enforce. I'd rather someone try to enforce what we have, cos I don't think we are going to get stronger laws. I have no doubt that DeLay broke the spirit of the law and if a grand jury indicted him, then how is that the single-mindedness of a zealot? Perhaps it's a community absolutely revulsed by the actions of DeLay and his cronies. We want to send a message that we do not tolerate this obscenity masquerading as a politician and that others who act similarly will be similarly scrutinised.

My congressional district, a city with a metro population of 1 million+, was deliberately carved into *seven* districts that radiate like pie pieces out into the rural areas of Texas, to try to ensure that liberal Austin does not get a single liberal elected to represent them in Washington. Now, given that, how sympathetic do you think this community will be towards DeLay? If he has broken even one little subsection of any law, he's going down.

From the Washington Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp...nguage=printer

""This is the most aggressive map I have ever seen," Joby Fortson wrote in the analysis, which he e-mailed to congressional aides. "This has a real national impact that should assure that Republicans keep the House no matter the national mood."

NO MATTER THE *NATIONAL* MOOD.

ironporer Oct 18th 2005 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by Bob

havent' been following it all that much lately, but came across this and wondered what people thought about it all...asking for donations at the same time, cheeky git...

Though I despise DeLay and his thugs and the way they are running the Congress/Party lately... my guess is that Ronnie Earle has a weak case and Delay will not be convicted of this. Another of his witch hunts I am afraid (ala Kay Baily Hutchinson 10 years ago). Earle seems to be a bit out there...as is DeLay...just on opposite sides. It appears that he was offered to plead to a misdemeanor count and avoid having to step down...which tells me the Persecutor has shit for a case. Grand Jury Indictment? Hell, you can get a ham sandwich indited by a GJ.