Delaware and Hoboken (NJ)

Wikiposts

Delaware and Hoboken (NJ)

Old Nov 23rd 2011, 10:48 am
Just Joined

HotCoffee is on a distinguished road
Default Delaware and Hoboken (NJ)

Hi!

My company is UK based (I'm a UK citizen but have gone back and forth between NJ and the UK via the VWS for extended periods as my position is as flexible as I want it to be) but is setting up an office in Delaware.

As 50-60% of our US business in in NY and the other 40-50% in states that require plane rides to get to, if I'm given the option I think living in Hoboken would be a good idea as up to 90% of my time will be in meetings/networking and not office-based (I could work from my apartment if need be or find somewhere in NY to occasionally hot desk) and being in Hoboken (or nice places around it) means I can easily get to three well connected airports and Manhattan is a short hop over the river.

So, can anyone recommend a Jersey area like Hoboken or Union City to live in? And where might be a good website or two for me to look at to find an apartment to rent?

Also, in case I'm not given the option...has anyone any experience of Delaware - Wilmington in particular? I know nothing about it so anything you have to share will be appreciated

Happy Thanksgiving!

P.S. We still have to sort out the visa etc but I'm not too concerned about that for the moment because I'm sure there will be a way to make it work.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 4:11 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Delaware and Hoboken (NJ)

I know Delaware. Newark is a great town, University of DE is there so it has all the advantages of a small college town. Wilmington is bigger, but not a nice and is definitely a DuPont town. DE has a big divide at the DE canal. North of it you are on the I95 corridor and it's dominated by Dupont, south of it you are definitely in "The South" and it's really quite and rural.

So if you like a fun time Newark is a good palace, and give my regards to "Deer Park" and excellent bar. If you want cheap living in a quiet rural setting DE south of the canal is good.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 2:48 am
Forum Regular

njmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nice
Default Re: Delaware and Hoboken (NJ)

Hoboken is a great area to live but not to own a car (if its an option). Parking is a nightmare to say the least.

My recommendation would be to utilise the train lines out of NYC either Morris and Essex (which would give you nice areas like South Orange and Montclair). This way it gives you direct access into NYC in a short journey but also gets you out of the city (Hoboken although smaller still has that City vibe to it).