Delaware?

Old Nov 17th 2022, 4:10 pm
Just Joined

Gin54 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Delaware?

You're not too far from me as I'm in Pike Creek.
I arrived here in July too. Yes, same here, some adjusting.
I know some ex-pats now via friends and via the kid's school. it nice to meet people from the UK.

What brings you to Newark? - nice place.
How are you both finding everything?
Old Nov 17th 2022, 4:15 pm
Just Joined

jamesg99 is an unknown quantity at this point

I actually work in Maryland but some work colleagues live in the Newark area and they informed me of the tax benefits. So we picked here to start with. My wife seems to be adjusting better than I am at the moment. We think this is due to our different upbringings in the UK.

How about yourself? What brings you to Delaware?
Old Nov 17th 2022, 4:19 pm
Just Joined

abberyd237 is an unknown quantity at this point

Which part of Wales are you from? My hubby is from North Wales. We became friends with Gin54 and her hubby There isn't an organized expat community like what we've seen in California but there are definitely Brits here and you'll find them in the most surprising places. We live in Wilmington, near Greenville so not far from Newark. And there's a Welsh Society in Delaware but things don't pick up until spring time (most people are Welsh descendants).
Old Nov 17th 2022, 4:22 pm
Just Joined

We are from Wrexham in North Wales. I was born there but my wife is from Shrewsbury. It's good to hear there are UK expats around. Do you meet up at all?
Old Nov 17th 2022, 4:22 pm
Just Joined

My hubby had a difficult first year when we moved to the US. We had lived in Australia and then moved to the Bay Area. It was a bit of a culture shock for him but now that he's been here for 5 years, he's feeling a lot more comfortable and enjoys Delaware a lot more than California. I have family here so we moved during COVID and it was easier for him to get to the UK.
Old Nov 17th 2022, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

Oh no way! We know Wrexham very well! My hubby is from Llanfechain which is between Wrexham and Shrewsbury.
Old Nov 17th 2022, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

Glad your husband is settled now. I am certainly feeling the strain. Where in Wales is he from?
Old Nov 17th 2022, 4:26 pm
Just Joined

Sorry missed your first reply! Yeah Wrexham, home of the club purchased by Ryan Reynolds! I have been to Llanfechain but a very long time ago. Would you guys be open to meeting for a drink at some point with my wife and me? We would really like some advice and experiences from other expats.
Old Nov 17th 2022, 5:16 pm
Just Joined

We watched the Welcome to Wrexham docuseries which was actually good. Just talked to the hubby and happy to meet up with you and your wife.
Old Nov 17th 2022, 5:19 pm
Just Joined

Glad you enjoyed the documentary. We were at the Turf pub next to stadium several times during the filming. We know the landlord quite well and he has had several meetings with Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney. I appreciate your willing to take the time to meet us. I will talk to my wife tonight and hopefully we can get a day and time arranged in the not too distant future.
Old Apr 29th 2023, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

mgorton01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Where in the bay area did you find British? The owner of my lawn and grounds maintenance company is British and would like to meet British people. He is located in New Castle County DE.
Old Apr 30th 2023, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

We are located in Bear south of Newark. There are. Rita that we know from Wilmington, Pike Creek and Hockessin. Where about is he located?
Old Apr 30th 2023, 6:30 pm
Just Joined

mgorton01 is an unknown quantity at this point

He is located midway between Wilmington and Newark.