British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Delaware? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/delaware-944839/)

abberyd237 Jul 22nd 2022 2:52 pm

Delaware?

This might be a long shot but anyone live in Delaware or nearby in PA? My husband is British and we were living in the Bay Area where there was a large British expat community and lots of ways to connect with people from the UK. Curious if there's anything out here.

Gin54 Aug 4th 2022 10:04 pm

Re: Delaware?

Hello,
Just seen your thread.
I've just moved to delaware from tbe UK.
how are you finding it?
I've not heard one british accent so far.

abberyd237 Aug 5th 2022 3:46 pm

My hubby misses the banter and sense of humor. Luckily by brother in law is in Philly and he's British. And I ran into someone from Bristol (I think) that teaches exercise classes at the local athletics center. But other than that, we haven't run into anyone. What brings you to DE and where from? I grew up here but have been away for over 20 years and we want to be closer flight time from the UK. My hubby is from the North (grew up in Wales with family in Manchester).

Gin54 Aug 5th 2022 5:48 pm

My husband was offered a transfer to work in Delaware and we decided to take the chance and do it.

I'm from London and I met my husband in Glasgow, Scotland.

We've been to Wales about 4 times because we love it there and we use to always get our flights during the summer holiday from Manchester.

The British humor and banter is unique to us. That is good your brother-in-law is near by.

So where did you live in UK?

Has the Delaware changed since you've arrived back?

We are trying to find a house to rent but the inventory is so low here.

abberyd237 Aug 5th 2022 7:27 pm

Love Scotland. My hubby and I met in Australia where he lived for 10 years so I never got a change to live in the UK. But we recently got back from a 5 week visit. His mum still lives in the village he grew up in.

Lots of things are the same here but a lot has changed and gotten better. The mall has improved A LOT. And there's more restaurant choices. There's a lovely pub called The Whip over the state line in PA that we enjoy. It's like a real british style tavern feel to it, not like the ones with flags all over and footy jerseys. But we've been the Stoney's which is like that.

I've heard housing is really difficult around here now. Apartments may be a little bit easier to find but everything is so low right now. We arrived last year so just got here in time.

When did you both arrive? Are you in northern DE?

Gin54 Aug 5th 2022 7:54 pm

I went backpacking in Australia in 2001. I loved it there! I arrived in Perth and travelled around for the year. My favourite place's to visit we're darwin, barrier reef and sydney. I went via thailand before heading back to the UK and it was amazing but a huge culture shock. I had just met my husband (boyfriend at the time) he came over to visit me a couple of times. What did you think of Oz?
That's very romantic you met your husband there.

My husbands been in the states since feb this year and i arrived mid July. We're in Greenville atm and would love to stay in the area but we just can't find a suitable house to rent.

I've not drunk in PA just greenville and i've enjoyed Cromwell's.

I hold a valid UK licence but i'm taking driving lessons as i'm too scared to drive on the roads here. Did you find it scary or was it ok for you?

So how are you settling back in?

abberyd237 Aug 5th 2022 8:18 pm

We're practically neighbors :) We live on the edge of Greenville between Wilmington and Hockessin (I think technically we are in Greenville). Elizabeth's Pizza, BBC Tavern and Buckley's are also placed to check out if you haven't.

Coming from California, driving has been much easier BUT driver's out here are scarier to be honest. My hubby took driving lessons and had to sit the written and driving exam for California since they didn't recognize out of country licenses. He's glad he took lessons.

Love and miss Australia a lot. I lived there for almost 5 years. We were in Sydney and got to do a lot of traveling. Lived in New Zealand before moving there and that was amazing as well.

We have 2 little kids so it's been really good being here, for them and for us. Our commute in California was horrendous so quality of life is good out here.

If you and your husband ever want to meet up, let me know!

Gin54 Aug 5th 2022 9:13 pm

Oh Wow! Delaware's so big so nice to know we are neighbors.
We went to Elizabeth's the other day, and we've been to BBC, but I don't think we have tried Buckley's.
California sounds amazing - the lifestyle, the food, the beaches. I can image everything spaced out.
5 years is a long time in Australia, and you've lived in New Zealand too.
We have two kids too - one teenager and one pre-teenager.
I would love to meet up for a coffee if your free?

abberyd237 Aug 5th 2022 10:15 pm

How are your kids adjusting to the move? Did they start school yet? I still can't get my head around how the UK has GCSEs and A Levels. But the school system in DE is also so different now, so many choices.v

Would be lovely to grab coffee. I don't think this site lets you send private messages. If you try messaging me at I can message you back from my real one.

Gin54 Aug 5th 2022 10:36 pm

I've tried to send an email but it's not working for some reason. I have tried to send a private message so not sure you'll, have it?

The teenager has found it a real challenge, but the pre-teen has been fine. I did GCSEs in London but in Scotland its all-National 5's and higher's which I found hard to get my head round.

abberyd237 Aug 5th 2022 10:44 pm

Got it! Replied back so hopefully it went through.

Gin54 Aug 5th 2022 10:51 pm

I have replied - I hope you can see the message.

jamesg99 Nov 17th 2022 3:30 pm

Just moved here from Wales and spent much time in Manchester. Where in DE are you located?

Gin54 Nov 17th 2022 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by jamesg99 (Post 13155133)
Just moved here from Wales and spent much time in Manchester. Where in DE are you located?

Hi,
Welcome to the states.
I've been to Wales and Manchester a few times.
I'm in Wilmington. Whereabouts are you based?

jamesg99 Nov 17th 2022 4:04 pm

Hi,

My wife and I moved in July and are adjusting to our new life. We are based in the Newark area. Are there many UK expats in this area that you know of?