Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Degree or not degree, a tale of chilly woe....

Degree or not degree, a tale of chilly woe....

Old Nov 3rd 2006, 4:10 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute
Default Degree or not degree, a tale of chilly woe....

It is currently 27F in the LP.

We (the wife and I) went to see Borat at the local cinema tonight but it was sold out. My wife said I should wear my silly floppy hat as my head is shaved to the wood today. I declined.
I misunderstood what what 27F meant and, hatless and wearing only a t-shirt beneath my warm jacket with the broken zip, I pretended to be entirely unfazed. "We Brits are a hardy bunch" I said, unconvincingly, "we did father your whole nation wearing only rabbit skins and shoes made of leaves" I remarked. She smirked and offered to lend me her woolly gloves. Again I declined.
You don't wear yer birds mams gloves in Manchester, no matter how rather chilly it might get! Anyway............

It was a short walk to the cinema on the strip mall. Though not short enough it turned out.
After being told to sod off (in typically polite American fashion) from the cinema as gangs of Americans who won't get it anyway que'd to see the film, we decided to get ripped off at Steak and Shake (I thought it should be called Steak And Rape, or at least Steak and And Shake Down ha ha).

The fries were thinner than the characters in a lowry painting and the chili was entirely misrepresented, but hey ho. You live you learn. My bad (I just learned what that meant from my missus he he).

The upshot is that it's actually, in Mickey Mouse World, 3 below zero and five below with the 'wind chill'. Lying Bastids!!!
Land of the free? Home of the brave? Land of the brass monkeys more like. I will never whinge about sleet again and, if I keep all of my toes...........I may even go to her mums crazy church for the laying on of hands!!!!
Oh say can you see, by the dawns early................

Thank the pagan gods of Britain that we don't pay for heat!!!
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 11:56 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Degree or not degree, a tale of chilly woe....

It's a tad parky here too! Poor squirrels are freezing their acorns off, bless 'em.
Old Nov 4th 2006, 12:13 am
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Silly Sod

We (the wife and I) went to see Borat at the local cinema tonight but it was church for the laying................pagan gods of Britain that we don't pay for heat!!!

Sympathies to you with karma. We abandoned the frigid north for warmer southern climes. Allthough, we did get our first frost last night.....
Old Nov 4th 2006, 2:28 am
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gardnma
Allthough, we did get our first frost last night.....

That's because you didn't go far enough south!

We had a light sprinkling of the white stuff yesterday which didn't settle. Today is lovely and sunny (if not a tad parky!)
Old Nov 4th 2006, 2:48 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

That's warm. You've got a long, long, long winter ahead of you.
Old Nov 4th 2006, 2:51 am
medusas peligrosas

mozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond repute

Yeh but no but yeh but ... it is rumoured that we shall be hitting 60F-ish later in the week so stop mithering

Have told hubby not to put the pool away just yet
Old Nov 4th 2006, 3:05 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

"When the temperature gets much below freezing, start to wear layers of clothing. A set of thermal underwear under shirt and pants will keep you warm and won't be too stiff. On your feet as long as the temp is above 0F I wear regular walking shoes with heavy socks. When the temp falls below zero I find a pair of insulated hiking boots are very effective For outerwear, a parka type coat with removable hood is very effective. Just wear the coat when the temp is warmer and add the hood when you feel it is necessary. Add to this a good fur lined pair of gloves A head covering of some kind is essential. I suggest a knit cap that will pull down over your face. If the temp isn't too extreme wear it on top of your head and pull it down when needed (If it's too cold to walk you can always rob banks)" (Anon.)

Alternatively, just stay indoors
Old Nov 4th 2006, 3:18 am
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

I had bought thermal boots and thermal long coat etc, for the Indy & VA winters. And last winter of course I didn't need to wear them once, so maybe you're not far enough NW yet
Old Nov 4th 2006, 9:22 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

We (the wife and I) went to see Borat at the local cinema tonight but it was sold out. My wife said I should wear my silly floppy hat as my head is shaved to the wood today. I declined.
I misunderstood what what 27F meant and, hatless and wearing only a t-shirt beneath my warm jacket with the broken zip, I pretended to be entirely unfazed. "We Brits are a hardy bunch" I said, unconvincingly, "we did father your whole nation wearing only rabbit skins and shoes made of leaves" I remarked. She smirked and offered to lend me her woolly gloves. Again I declined.
You don't wear yer birds mams gloves in Manchester, no matter how rather chilly it might get! Anyway............

It was a short walk to the cinema on the strip mall. Though not short enough it turned out.
After being told to sod off (in typically polite American fashion) from the cinema as gangs of Americans who won't get it anyway que'd to see the film, we decided to get ripped off at Steak and Shake (I thought it should be called Steak And Rape, or at least Steak and And Shake Down ha ha).

The fries were thinner than the characters in a lowry painting and the chili was entirely misrepresented, but hey ho. You live you learn. My bad (I just learned what that meant from my missus he he).

The upshot is that it's actually, in Mickey Mouse World, 3 below zero and five below with the 'wind chill'. Lying Bastids!!!
Land of the free? Home of the brave? Land of the brass monkeys more like. I will never whinge about sleet again and, if I keep all of my toes...........I may even go to her mums crazy church for the laying on of hands!!!!
Oh say can you see, by the dawns early................

Don't you EVER...EVER....say "My bad" EVER again in any post I might read. It has to be the single most irritating verbal shite I ever have the misfortune to hear.
Old Nov 4th 2006, 9:25 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
"When the temperature gets much below freezing, start to wear layers of clothing. A set of thermal underwear under shirt and pants will keep you warm and won't be too stiff. On your feet as long as the temp is above 0F I wear regular walking shoes with heavy socks. When the temp falls below zero I find a pair of insulated hiking boots are very effective For outerwear, a parka type coat with removable hood is very effective. Just wear the coat when the temp is warmer and add the hood when you feel it is necessary. Add to this a good fur lined pair of gloves A head covering of some kind is essential. I suggest a knit cap that will pull down over your face. If the temp isn't too extreme wear it on top of your head and pull it down when needed (If it's too cold to walk you can always rob banks)" (Anon.)
Or come to Florida and wear a Tshirt and shorts 99% of the year ...
Old Nov 4th 2006, 11:06 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

27F...that's not that bad, it's when it's sub 0 F that it gets a tad nippy to go out without a hat
Old Nov 4th 2006, 11:24 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bob
27F...that's not that bad, it's when it's sub 0 F that it gets a tad nippy to go out without a hat
Its not cold until you go outside and your nose hairs freeze.
It'd be pretty boring living in a climate like Califorinia again after realising that there are actually seasons in the US.
Old Nov 4th 2006, 11:59 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It'd be pretty boring living in a climate like Califorinia again after realising that there are actually seasons in the US.
Aye, seasons....all good except mud season

but frozen snot is a weird feeling ain't it..
Old Nov 4th 2006, 12:11 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bob
Aye, seasons....all good except mud season

but frozen snot is a weird feeling ain't it..

A bit like having ice cold cotton wool shoved into your nostrils.
You are brave to stay in that climate, it was too much for us.
Old Nov 4th 2006, 12:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Nah, its not cold till your tongue sticks to a metal post in the middle of winter!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.