Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Deferring UK Pension

Deferring UK Pension

Old Mar 30th 2016, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

Disenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond repute
Default Deferring UK Pension

Just a quick question of those who have done this or are planning on doing it and have the answer I seek.

I will turn 65 in July and intend on deferring my UK OAP. Will the DWP contact me prior to my retirement date or do I need to contact them and tell them I wish to defer my pension, if so which office should I be contacting, the International Caseworkers Office or the regular DWP office? Presumably I should also be using snail mail rather than telephone?

They have my address in the USA and my UK bank details (because I pay class II NIC's via DD from my UK bank account) so feasibly they may just start depositing it to my UK bank in the absence of any direct instruction from me if they don't contact me via mail.

Thanks.
Old Mar 30th 2016, 6:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Deferring UK Pension

Originally Posted by Disenchanted
Just a quick question of those who have done this or are planning on doing it and have the answer I seek.

I will turn 65 in July and intend on deferring my UK OAP. Will the DWP contact me prior to my retirement date or do I need to contact them and tell them I wish to defer my pension, if so which office should I be contacting, the International Caseworkers Office or the regular DWP office? Presumably I should also be using snail mail rather than telephone?

They have my address in the USA and my UK bank details (because I pay class II NIC's via DD from my UK bank account) so feasibly they may just start depositing it to my UK bank in the absence of any direct instruction from me if they don't contact me via mail.

Thanks.
They contacted me several months in advance of my official retirement date. If I remember correctly I had to do nothing for it to be deferred. If I wanted it paid at my retirement date I had to fill out the claim forms they sent and return them.

Last edited by MidAtlantic; Mar 30th 2016 at 6:41 pm.
Old Mar 30th 2016, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

Disenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
They contacted me several months in advance of my official retirement date. If I remember correctly I had to do nothing for it to be deferred. If I wanted it paid at my retirement date I had to fill out the claim forms they sent and return them.
Brilliant, that certainly makes it a lot easier. Did they also send you a forecast with details of your contributions as I think they may have it wrong based on my last accounting of contribution years?

Thanks for the quick reply.
Old Mar 30th 2016, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Disenchanted
Brilliant, that certainly makes it a lot easier. Did they also send you a forecast with details of your contributions as I think they may have it wrong based on my last accounting of contribution years?

Thanks for the quick reply.
No. I think you have to apply for that. It looks like you may now be able to do that on-line:

https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension