Reload this Page >

Declaring dual citizenship at the US/Canada border

Wikiposts

Declaring dual citizenship at the US/Canada border

Old Jan 13th 2010, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

Wooglin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Declaring dual citizenship at the US/Canada border

Quick question. I am a Canadian who holds UK citizenship as well. I have both Canadian and UK passports. I am flying out of Buffalo to travel to Gatwick in March. When I drive to Buffalo, at the border, do I have to declare my UK citizenship or just mention my Canadian one. I am bringing both passports, but likely will be using my NEXUS card to cross the border. If I declare my UK citizenship along with my Canadian, will that bring me any hassles?
Old Jan 13th 2010, 6:39 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Declaring dual citizenship at the US/Canada border

Originally Posted by Wooglin
Quick question. I am a Canadian who holds UK citizenship as well. I have both Canadian and UK passports. I am flying out of Buffalo to travel to Gatwick in March. When I drive to Buffalo, at the border, do I have to declare my UK citizenship or just mention my Canadian one. I am bringing both passports, but likely will be using my NEXUS card to cross the border. If I declare my UK citizenship along with my Canadian, will that bring me any hassles?
No it doesn't matter. If you're entering Canada of coruse you have to use your Canadian passport and NEXUS is only a US/Canadian program so you have to use your Canadian passport anyway.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 6:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Your NEXUS card is linked to your Canadian passport, so if asked, you should identify yourself as a Canadian citizen. But I've never been asked about citizenship when using NEXUS. I wouldn't say anything about UK citizenship unless you are asked about additional citizenships. To be admitted to the US as a UK citizen they would want you to use the Visa Waiver Program. Canadians don't need to do that, so identifying as Canadian will make your trip simpler.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bill_S
Your NEXUS card is linked to your Canadian passport, so if asked, you should identify yourself as a Canadian citizen. But I've never been asked about citizenship when using NEXUS. I wouldn't say anything about UK citizenship unless you are asked about additional citizenships. To be admitted to the US as a UK citizen they would want you to use the Visa Waiver Program. Canadians don't need to do that, so identifying as Canadian will make your trip simpler.
Actually it is linked to both. Any new citizenship has to be declared. I contacted NEXUS and they told me I had to submit the UK passport details. I went to Pearson Airport NEXUS office in Toronto and they entered the details on my account. D'oh!!
Old Jan 13th 2010, 7:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Actually it is linked to both. Any new citizenship has to be declared. I contacted NEXUS and they told me I had to submit the UK passport details. I went to Pearson Airport NEXUS office in Toronto and they entered the details on my account. D'oh!!
Interesting... I didn't know they did that. I'm a dual US/Canadian citizen (born in Canada, naturalized American, live in US). When I registered for NEXUS I did so with my American passport. At the interview I told them I was also a Canadian but they didn't seem to care... they certainly didn't enter any details from my Canadian passport. The Canadian passport had expired and in any event I didn't have it with me.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 7:12 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bill_S
Interesting... I didn't know they did that. I'm a dual US/Canadian citizen (born in Canada, naturalized American, live in US). When I registered for NEXUS I did so with my American passport. At the interview I told them I was also a Canadian but they didn't seem to care... they certainly didn't enter any details from my Canadian passport. The Canadian passport had expired and in any event I didn't have it with me.
I guess I should not have volunteered the information!! I think I will contact NEXUS or the CBP to ensure that I won't have a hassle at the border.