Wikiposts

Decks

Old Sep 14th 2014, 8:11 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Decks

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Marc Bolan's on the radio tonight...
That's going to make a mess.
Old Sep 14th 2014, 1:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

We have a Trex deck, 16x20 in the back yard. Overall we are very happy with it. Once a year we pressure wash it and that's it! Only issue I have seen is a tendency to scratch rather easily. (from chairs being dragged on it etc.).

It is ideal for our climate (I am in Tigard/Bull Mountain). You are more than welcome to come and see it, or I can post pictures. Our deck builder said Trex was about 20% more than wood, but that he hadn't installed a true wooden deck in ages!

- Tim
Old Sep 15th 2014, 5:48 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimFountain
We have a Trex deck, 16x20 in the back yard. Overall we are very happy with it. Once a year we pressure wash it and that's it! Only issue I have seen is a tendency to scratch rather easily. (from chairs being dragged on it etc.).

It is ideal for our climate (I am in Tigard/Bull Mountain). You are more than welcome to come and see it, or I can post pictures. Our deck builder said Trex was about 20% more than wood, but that he hadn't installed a true wooden deck in ages!

- Tim
Thanks Tim, that is about the size of the one we are replacing. We wanted a maintenance free deck so had really ruled wood out.

I think it is now just a case of if we go with Trex or TimberTech. I'll ask about the scratching and see what information I get, that might decide which we use.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 5:53 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
I think it is now just a case of if we go with Trex or TimberTech. I'll ask about the scratching and see what information I get, that might decide which we use.
Both seem a little prone to it, though I couldn't say if one is better than the other. Being that the colour goes right through the product, it's not as noticeable as it might otherwise be.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 5:59 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
Both seem a little prone to it, though I couldn't say if one is better than the other. Being that the colour goes right through the product, it's not as noticeable as it might otherwise be.
That's good to know. Fairly sure we are going to go with a grey color. Moving the chairs on a painted deck scratches it as well and even more noticeable when the brown of the wood shows through. I end up putting another coat of paint on it every April.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by lansbury
That's good to know. Fairly sure we are going to go with a grey color. Moving the chairs on a painted deck scratches it as well and even more noticeable when the brown of the wood shows through. I end up putting another coat of paint on it every April.
Mine is grey. Scratches show up as a lighter (cleaner maybe?) colour, but quickly weather in.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 6:17 am

Thanks. I can see Mrs L making me put pads on the chair legs.