British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Decent-priced vitamins/supplements? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/decent-priced-vitamins-supplements-753721/)

WEBlue Apr 3rd 2012 4:32 pm

Decent-priced vitamins/supplements?

If you take them, where do you get yours?

Since we arrived, I've been looking for random 2-for-1 sales at CVS (have a card) or the Target near me. But I still feel like I'm paying too much. We don't take a boatload of pills, just a good multivit & glucosamine/chondroitin for joints, so I'm not sure ordering makes sense . . . .

Leslie Apr 3rd 2012 4:35 pm

Re: Decent-priced vitamins/supplements?

Originally Posted by WEBlue (Post 9987248)

Since we arrived, I've been looking for random 2-for-1 sales at CVS (have a card) or the Target near me. But I still feel like I'm paying too much. We don't take a boatload of pills, just a good multivit & glucosamine/chondroitin for joints, so I'm not sure ordering makes sense . . . .

I order online from Swanson. Even with the shipping sometimes it's still less. Worth checking out.

joto Apr 3rd 2012 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by WEBlue (Post 9987248)

Is there a BJ's or Costco nearby? The bottles of vitamins and other supplements are large, but could work out cheaper in the long run.

Bob Apr 3rd 2012 5:01 pm

Trader Joes have some pretty decent ones that are reasonably priced.

Whole Foods tend to have a good variety as well, with a range of prices, but they often have sample packs you could try out...then get the ones you like online :D

Mummy in the foothills Apr 3rd 2012 7:10 pm

Costco we buy the Kirkland brand.

Guindalf Apr 3rd 2012 8:00 pm

Sam's Club has their own brand and the Equate brand from Walmart tends to be reasonable.

WEBlue Apr 3rd 2012 10:08 pm

Thank you, everyone! These are some good ideas.

We do have a Wal-Mart somewhat nearby, & I keep forgetting that they do have a pharmacy section. The husband hates W-M with a passion, so I'll have to check it out by myself.

Somehow I've not had experience of these so-called 'buyers' clubs' like Costco, BJ's, Sam's Club. Our family left the USA 20 years ago, and I never quite understood how they work. I remember that before we left a friend who owned her own business was raving about just having joined Sam's Club. Is membership still limited to business-owners, or to certain businesses only?

Jerseygirl Apr 3rd 2012 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by WEBlue (Post 9987822)
Thank you, everyone! These are some good ideas.

We do have a Wal-Mart somewhat nearby, & I keep forgetting that they do have a pharmacy section. The husband hates W-M with a passion, so I'll have to check it out by myself.

Somehow I've not had experience of these so-called 'buyers' clubs' like Costco, BJ's, Sam's Club. Our family left the USA 20 years ago, and I never quite understood how they work. I remember that before we left a friend who owned her own business was raving about just having joined Sam's Club. Is membership still limited to business-owners, or to certain businesses only?

Another vote for my fave US store...Costco. :thumbsup:

Anyone can join...you pay a annual membership fee. Took me a couple of years to come to terms with having to pay to shop somewhere...but it's well worth it. :thumbsup:

joto Apr 3rd 2012 10:22 pm

Costco, BJ's and Sam's Club are membership clubs open to everyone that pay a yearly membership fee, usually around $50. It is usually worth it, if you have enough storage room for large size packs of toilet rolls, paper towels, etc, but also sell groceries in packs that are not too large. Sometimes membership gets you discounts on car insurance, holidays and stuff like that.

WEBlue Apr 3rd 2012 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9987831)
Another vote for my fave US store...Costco. :thumbsup:
Anyone can join...you pay a annual membership fee. Took me a couple of years to come to terms with having to pay to shop somewhere...but it's well worth it. :thumbsup:

Originally Posted by joto (Post 9987851)
Costco, BJ's and Sam's Club are membership clubs open to everyone that pay a yearly membership fee, usually around $50. It is usually worth it, if you have enough storage room for large size packs of toilet rolls, paper towels, etc, but also sell groceries in packs that are not too large. Sometimes membership gets you discounts on car insurance, holidays and stuff like that.

Hmmm . . . $50 yearly. I'll have to crunch some numbers & see if it's worth it.

Back in the day when the kids were living at home & inhaled food like famine was imminent, it would have likely been well worth it. But . . . now it's just the husband & me for the most part, with occasional weekend visits from our youngest adult child, who has definitely moderated his eating habits since he reached his 20s.

In fact we ALL eat oddly less than we once did, adults as well as children. I used to make giant pots of food & they'd barely do for two meals. Yes, the ravening horde lived at our house back then, but has now moved away haha! I don't understand it, b/c we're none of us thinner than we were in those days, but we sure do eat less. :blink:

Bob Apr 3rd 2012 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by WEBlue (Post 9987822)

Anyone can join, $50 usually for a basic family plan, maybe $100 if you want cash back type membership.

BJ's there's no difference between business and family members, Sam's Club let members enter earlier by a couple of hours, but that's about the only difference.

BJ's membership gets you 5% off Liberty Mutual car insurance as well as some other discounts.

Where they win is petrol, if you've got one that has their own pumps, our BJ's is about 20c cheaper per gallon than the regular petrol station across the street.

When you join up, google out any coupon sign on bonuses because sometimes you get extra months free or other bits and pieces....and check to see if where you work has a affinity program with them as that'll get you a big discount and extra months for membership.

Duncan Roberts Apr 3rd 2012 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by WEBlue (Post 9987890)

Back in the day when the kids were living at home & inhaled food like famine was imminent, it would have likely been well worth it. But . . . now it's just the husband & me for the most part, with occasional weekend visits from our youngest adult child, who has definitely moderated his eating habits since he reached his 20s.

In fact we ALL eat oddly less than we once did, adults as well as children. I used to make giant pots of food & they'd barely do for two meals. Yes, the ravening horde lived at our house back then, but has now moved away haha! I don't understand it, b/c we're none of us thinner than we were in those days, but we sure do eat less. :blink:

It's not just food. Cars, vacations, electronics, clothes, furniture, kitchen stuff, etc. Basically everything you might ever want. If you don't save $50 in a couple of trips then you're doing something wrong!

digbydog Apr 3rd 2012 11:52 pm

We buy vitamins etc at Costco and they seem like good value.

However I was told last week by someone who apparently knows about such things that not all vitamins are created equal and that the ones at Costco are not as beneficial as other more expensive brands. In particular Omega 3.

Anyone else heard this??

Mummy in the foothills Apr 4th 2012 12:01 am

Originally Posted by WEBlue (Post 9987890)

For us it was worth it just for the over the counter allergy meds for Ds. He takes one zyrtec a day (store brand) a years supply from Costco is $15, I was paying more than that every month when I got him the ones from WalMart and CVS. Now as a side I now get all kinds of other goodies when I go there to get gas occasionally.

Originally Posted by digbydog (Post 9987963)
We buy vitamins etc at Costco and they seem like good value.

However I was told last week by someone who apparently knows about such things that not all vitamins are created equal and that the ones at Costco are not as beneficial as other more expensive brands. In particular Omega 3.

Anyone else heard this??

I have heard this too, but Costco is known to have their store brands of foods made by the big brand name companies, I can't see why they wouldn't be doing the same with the supplements.

Poppy girl Apr 4th 2012 1:32 am

Remember when buying vitamins the mg is high enough, so many people buy vitamins and the dose is to low or not high enough for their needs, so you might think you are getting a bargin but in reality the amount of mg you are taking is useless.