Reload this Page >

Decatur, Georgia

Wikiposts

Decatur, Georgia

Old Feb 18th 2008, 9:54 pm
Just Joined

old curly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Decatur, Georgia

Anyone familiar with Decatur or Little Five Points area in Georgia?
If so, what do you think?
(If you do not actually know anything about these places, please do ont respond, thank you).
Old Feb 18th 2008, 11:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Decatur, Georgia

Curly, I have a friend who was born and bred in down town Atlanta, I will ask him today and let you know, all I personally know is Little Five Points is a little 'different' to most other areas of Atlanta.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

I like Little Five Points and Decatur... different and artsy-fartsy (the latter are words of a native and he's right ).

Now what are you going to do with the info? You sound cranky as hell.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 3:06 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: Decatur, Georgia

This actually Mrs. Old Curly, and I'm not cranky!
It just seems whenever a thread is posted people get off the topic and the responses will be totally off the mark. so I figured it's easier to be direct and to the point. Thanks for the responses so far!
Old Feb 19th 2008, 3:14 am
Just Joined

Few more things..
is it fairly safe?
if we rent a flat can we have a car, or is it more of a city where there is no parking?
would you say Decatur or L5P is nicer and why?
Also, any of you get a US drivers license in GA? Can you tell us if you had to go to the DMV & what the process was for a UK driver.

You asked what I am going to do with the information.
I am researching a prospective area we may be moving to & in doing so am seeing what other people who live there and are from the UK have to say about it. I thought that's what lots of people do!
Old Feb 19th 2008, 3:20 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I would strongly suggest that you google for many of the answers to the questions you asked below. Why is renting an apartment indicative of whether or not you can own a car? Cities in most areas of the country have on-street parking. Off street parking might be included with your apartment. That is all individual to the place you choose to rent. Definitely not answerable here.

Google five points and it will give you a breakdown of crime stats.

Check out the DMV for Georgia and that will answer most of your questions. Brits normally cannot swap licenses and often have to take at minimum the written exam.

Originally Posted by old curly
Few more things..
is it fairly safe?
if we rent a flat can we have a car, or is it more of a city where there is no parking?
would you say Decatur or L5P is nicer and why?
Also, any of you get a US drivers license in GA? Can you tell us if you had to go to the DMV & what the process was for a UK driver.

You asked what I am going to do with the information.
I am researching a prospective area we may be moving to & in doing so am seeing what other people who live there and are from the UK have to say about it. I thought that's what lots of people do!
Old Feb 19th 2008, 3:47 am
Just Joined

Okay..

1) I know that I can google information. I already have. However, it seems to be easier when someone who has actually lived there answers you.

2) Most cities I have been to (& I am from NY) are a nightmare to own a car. I am asking if you can easily park outside of your house, or if it is like here in Kingston where you have to park around the corner from your house. I am also not willing to pay for a car park or parking space. Which is why it is a huge factor in living there. Someone who lives there would certainly know if they can park outside of their house!

3) I know I can ask the DMV. That was not my question. I asked if anyone personally had experience with obtaining a US drivers licence.

And this is why I said in the very beginning of this thread, if you do not have relevant information please do not post!

If someone actually knows if they can park outside of their home there or has obtained a license, I would love to hear from you. If not, you need not reply.

Thank you!
Old Feb 19th 2008, 5:51 am
Just Joined

sbailey is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Decatur, Georgia

Hello,

I'm from Atlanta and I've lived in L5P and downtown Decatur. Little 5 is has a great urban vibe and also the Brewhouse if you're into football matches. I wouldn't necessarily recommend living around there because it tends be a bit unsafe in the surrounding neighborhoods. (as anywhere in East Atlanta)

Decatur is a very nice city especially near Agnes Scott College. Avoid Candler Road/Panthersville parts of Decatur! Best case is living near Emory/Briarcliff area. Very safe but can be a bit pricey.

Midtown/Buckhead is a great area if you're into the trendy bar areas.

Good luck with your search!
Old Feb 19th 2008, 6:00 am
Just Joined

carpediem is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Decatur isnt prolly the best of places to head for, and especially not South Decatur Area, The problem is that your in DeKalb County and it has not so good schools, streets and the such like.

Little Five Points has a section in Fulton County which has better schools and has a better standard of Living, however enjoys many "male" couples living there.

A really neat and cool area to live depending on your age is the "Highlands" area of Atlanta.

Decatur and L5P gets all the Air traffic for Hartsfield (The busiest airport in the US) flying overhead.

Anyone living in South Atlanta requires a bullet proof Vest.

Best information to work on is where your trying to get a job and I can tell you some cool places to live.

Anything past Stone Mountain will resemble a scene out of deliverance.

And License wise - be prepared to wait many hours the DMVs have huge queues.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 10:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute

My buddy wasn't at work today unfortunately so you'll have to wait on 5 points info.
As far as driving test in Georgia is concerned it is relatively easy, there is a quick easy 'written' test done on computer, the driving test is a 5 min parking lot basic maneuvering test followed by 5 min spin round the block. They require you to bring your social security ID, your passport showing your legal status in the US, and a proof of residence in Georgia (rental contract or utility bill in your name). The car you take the test in must have proof of insurance and be in roadworthy condition I saw someone refused because of a brake light not working. I went to a Cobb County centre and was in and out within 2 hours without an appointment, just get there early.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 7:59 pm
Just Joined

Wink Re: Decatur, Georgia

Thanks everyone, that was the kind of info I was looking for and I really appreciate your help!
Old Feb 20th 2008, 6:22 am
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old curly
This actually Mrs. Old Curly, and I'm not cranky!
It just seems whenever a thread is posted people get off the topic and the responses will be totally off the mark. so I figured it's easier to be direct and to the point. Thanks for the responses so far!
It wasn't exactly to the point IMO , since I had no idea whether you were asking about a visit there or moving.

I wouldn't want to live especially in Little 5 Points, I did live in Decatur but that was 15 years ago (East Howard Avenue near a crack hotel (sounds worse than it was LOL) and the Dairy Queen). I wouldn't want to live there anymore now but that has more to do with changed family circumstances. I'd like aforementioned Virginia Highlands better (if you're looking for city living that is).
Old Feb 20th 2008, 8:02 am
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HunterGreen
It wasn't exactly to the point IMO , since I had no idea whether you were asking about a visit there or moving.

I wouldn't want to live especially in Little 5 Points, I did live in Decatur but that was 15 years ago (East Howard Avenue near a crack hotel (sounds worse than it was LOL) and the Dairy Queen). I wouldn't want to live there anymore now but that has more to do with changed family circumstances. I'd like aforementioned Virginia Highlands better (if you're looking for city living that is).
I lived in Decatur for a year, and left a few months ago, and I think it is one of the better areas of Atlanta to live. We lived near N Decatur and Clairmont, and the neighbourhood was nice, about 20 min walk to downtown Decatur, which is the best place to go out in Atlanta IMO.

Agree about L5P, it's a nice place to visit now and again, but I wouldn't want to live there. Virginia Highlands is quite nice, and I also like the area around Lindbergh. But if I had to move back, personally I would prefer to live somewhere OTP like Marietta or Roswell (if I could afford it).
Old Feb 20th 2008, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by zargof
I lived in Decatur for a year, and left a few months ago, and I think it is one of the better areas of Atlanta to live. We lived near N Decatur and Clairmont, and the neighbourhood was nice, about 20 min walk to downtown Decatur, which is the best place to go out in Atlanta IMO.
Not saying Decatur isn't nice, but it depends on what you're looking for... like I said, the reason I don't want to live there anymore is mostly because of changed circumstances (read: mom versus single 20-something ). Virginia Highlands is a tiny bit more kid-friendly (at least I knew someone with a kid there ). Of the 'burbs, Dunwoody is okay too, well it was back then, that is a place I haven't been since though.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 12:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Curly,
based on my pals suggestion Little 5 Points is 'kinda OK', while some parts are being upgraded, most others are still a little rough. Other posters are an echo of his comments. I live in NW Atlanta near 75 & 285 so too far away for personal comment.