British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Debt from the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/debt-uk-386893/)

Dessert dweller Jul 25th 2006 11:33 pm

Debt from the UK

I live in Arizona now, but I have some credit card debt from the UK, with a UK bank. It became a real problem paying it about a year ago as everytime I got near the limit they increased the limit, but all my money was going to pay the Credit card each month, so I used the credit card to live on. I'm not entirely blaming the bank, I was stupid to get caught in the trap. Anyway now the bank has passed this to a firm of Lawyers in the US (they are debt collectors). Does anyone know if a UK debt can be collected through the courts in the US? Thanks...

BigDavyG Jul 25th 2006 11:35 pm

Re: Debt from the UK

Originally Posted by Dessert dweller
I live in Arizona now, but I have some credit card debt from the UK, with a UK bank. It became a real problem paying it about a year ago as everytime I got near the limit they increased the limit, but all my money was going to pay the Credit card each month, so I used the credit card to live on. I'm not entirely blaming the bank, I was stupid to get caught in the trap. Anyway now the bank has passed this to a firm of Lawyers in the US (they are debt collectors). Does anyone know if a UK debt can be collected through the courts in the US? Thanks...

I know this isn't going to help much, but how do they know you are in the US ??

Dessert dweller Jul 25th 2006 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
I know this isn't going to help much, but how do they know you are in the US ??

I told them, I was using the card when I was living in the US.....

BigDavyG Jul 25th 2006 11:43 pm

I told them, I was using the card when I was living in the US.....

Well, not that it helps much, but you'll know next time - though here is one interesting thing.
Most UK credit cards are available to UK residents only, so if they know you had left they really should have put a ban on the card - it might be worth reading the small print to find out about that.
I have no idea if the debt is enforceable - at a guess I'd say yes, but there are others on here who should know. I would imagine though that they could sell the debt to an american firm for collection.

Good luck

Bob Jul 25th 2006 11:45 pm

It's come up in the past, so you might get lucky and find it doing a search...

technically, I don't think they can do much, but it'll wreck your credit history if you ever go back to the UK and not a great start in the US...

Kate2112 Jul 25th 2006 11:48 pm

Write to them and ask them to stop interest payments. Make an agreement to pay them back at instalments you can afford. Just in case you need to go back to the UK at some point.

Dessert dweller Jul 25th 2006 11:50 pm

[QUOTE=BigDavyG]Well, not that it helps much, but you'll know next time - though here is one interesting thing.
Most UK credit cards are available to UK residents only, so if they know you had left they really should have put a ban on the card - it might be worth reading the small print to find out about that.
I have no idea if the debt is enforceable - at a guess I'd say yes, but there are others on here who should know. I would imagine though that they could sell the debt to an american firm for collection.

Good luck[/QUY

Thanks, yes I was a Uk resident when I first had the card, but moved overseas, I told the bank my new address and they sent statements ect to my US address. I'm not trying to avoid payment I just cant afford the whole amount, and if I find out its difficult or impossible for them to collect from me in the US I will have strong bargaining power. They have not sold the debt as yet....

Dessert dweller Jul 25th 2006 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
It's come up in the past, so you might get lucky and find it doing a search...

technically, I don't think they can do much, but it'll wreck your credit history if you ever go back to the UK and not a great start in the US...

OK I'll try the search. I cant imagine I'll ever go back to the UK, but do you think it could effect my credit here?

Rompers Jul 25th 2006 11:53 pm

Like Kate said, I'd write to them and offer to repay them, but at a rate you can afford, and with an interest holiday.

They are in the business of making money. If you can convince them that they have a better chance of getting their money back by dealing with you than with a collections agency then you might have a chance.

gruffbrown Jul 25th 2006 11:55 pm

No relation to Desert Dweller then? :rolleyes:

Jerseygirl Jul 25th 2006 11:59 pm

Well, not that it helps much, but you'll know next time - though here is one interesting thing.

Good luck

I have a Nat West Visacard and they know I am resident in the US....they send my statements/new cards here.

According to posters on a thread a few months ago....yes they can come after you in the US. So becareful who you answer the door too.

Jerseygirl Jul 26th 2006 12:00 am

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
No relation to Desert Dweller then? :rolleyes:

My thoughts exactly. :D

BigDavyG Jul 26th 2006 12:05 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I have a Nat West Visacard and they know I am resident in the US....they send my statements/new cards here.

I have an Egg card. After being here for about 9 months with no problems re payments they wrote to me and called my old UK number wanting to know why all transactions were US based.
I told them I had moved here temporarily for work and would be here for another year. They put a stop on the card and I immediately paid it all off bar £1.37. I make the minimum payment per month and I'm pretty sure that maintaining it is costing them more than me.
I have no intention of ever asking for the bar to be lifted or fully paying off the balance.

Jerseygirl Jul 26th 2006 12:10 am

I have an Egg card. After being here for about 9 months with no problems re payments they wrote to me and called my old UK number wanting to know why all transactions were US based.
I told them I had moved here temporarily for work and would be here for another year. They put a stop on the card and I immediately paid it all off bar £1.37. I make the minimum payment per month and I'm pretty sure that maintaining it is costing them more than me.
I have no intention of ever asking for the bar to be lifted or fully paying off the balance.

They've been sending all correspondence to the US for 10 yrs. I only use it when I am in the UK.

I have UK building society accounts too...in their terms and conditions it states accounts are for UK residents only. Again they have been sending correspondence here for 10 years.

BigDavyG Jul 26th 2006 12:11 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
They've been sending all correspondence to the US for 10 yrs. I only use it when I am in the UK.

I have UK building society accounts too...in their terms and conditions it states accounts are for UK residents only. Again they have been sending correspondence here for 10 years.

Mustn't like me i suppose :(