Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

debt problem urgent

debt problem urgent

Old Oct 11th 2001, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

Dianag is an unknown quantity at this point

I have debts here in the uk which amount to about £8000. I have an agreement with the CAB that these are paid each month by postal order(they handled the companies for me) when i move to the us they wont be able to handle the companies for me. I will be writing to the companies in turn explaining change of address etc and i have someone on this side who is willing to get them paid for me each month if i wire the money over.

What can these companies do? Can they do anything about this and ruin my chances with my fiance?

Advice needed please

Thanks
Old Oct 11th 2001, 4:33 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Your credit history, good, bad or indifferent will have no bearing whatsoever on your approval for a Fiancee visa.

Rita
Old Oct 11th 2001, 5:24 pm
Just Joined

Dianag is an unknown quantity at this point

I already have the fiancee visa i am just worried about the debt companies may do once i get to the united states. Can they order the ins to send me back or anything? In the past they have chased my ex husband for them, but as i will have a new US husband are they likely to target him for payment instead?

Thanks
Old Oct 11th 2001, 6:09 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

INS has other things to do and the "companies" as you call them can holler and bellow to the cows come home and INS wouldn't give a damn.

As for them chasing your exhusband, if the debt was owed by him of course they would go after him.

Your new husband is not liable for any debt incurred prior to your marriage to him. So he is safe from that worry.

Make your arrangements to repay your debt if you want and just continue with your life.

Rita
Old Oct 12th 2001, 12:57 pm
Forcefulljack10

Dianag <[email protected]>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

You should not concern yourself with this issue, You are covered by the data
protection act for one,It is ILLEGAL for any credit agency within the U.K to diclose
any details of a UKC to a foreign credit agency or body,Regardless of what your
credit rating is or was within the U.K,You will start off here with no credit rating
within the U.S,IE,You could have the best credit rating on the planet within the
U.K,thing is,It means Jack here. Are likely to chase your future husband???? Nope -
Whats the debt to do with him??? How they gonna know where he(you)live? You gonna
tell em that? Do they need to know??? All your lenders need to know is that your
gonna pay the monthly fee and thats that.

FJ10

Old Oct 12th 2001, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ameriscot is an unknown quantity at this point

You don't have to worry about your credit history moving overseas.

You should make arrangements with each of your creditors on your own terms as to how you will pay them off. Don't let the creditors dictate to you, as it may not be the most cost effective to you given that moving money overseas isn't free. I would imagine that the easiest way to settle your affairs is to set up standing orders from a UK bank account. You then can send a regular amount from your US bank to the UK bank to cover these.

Old Oct 16th 2001, 8:54 am
Smith

Ameriscot <[email protected]>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

I have resently moved to the US from the UK, and have told everyone that I owe money
to my new address, if I move again to another address in the USA and do not inform
them of my new address, would I get away with not paying any of my UK debts I still
have, they are for Electric, Debt Collection agency acting on behalf of BT, Lloyds
TSB, any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated as most of these debts
were created by my X-wife, and I am so pi$$ed-off having to pay them and the charges
in transfering money over seas.

Old Oct 16th 2001, 11:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Ameriscot is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know if you'll get away with it, nor would I recommend this course of action, but one thing to make absolutely certain of is that you don't actually owe any money to any branch of the UK government.