Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is This The Death Of America?

Wikiposts

Is This The Death Of America?

Old Oct 8th 2005, 2:03 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is This The Death Of America?

Originally Posted by Bob
least food stamps now come in a pre-paid debit card type thingy....

THAT is a sore subject with me after working as a cashier at a grocery.
Old Oct 8th 2005, 2:06 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
There is a very pessimistic view by a reporter in today's 'Daily Mirror' on the state of the US right now:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/tm_obje...name_page.html

My view is that the US is 'down but not out'. Thank goodness Bush will be out of office when his term ends. I predict that the two main contenders for the White House will be Rudolph Guiliani vs Hillary Clinton and I think that either one of them would show strong leadership skills....something that Dubya just doesn't have.

PS. I didn't realised that infant mortality was so high in the USA...it's appalling and I guess that few of those babies are white. It's astonishing to me that pregnant and nursing mothers and infants don't get free health care in this prosperous country.
I tell you I was shocked to find out how many of my new American friends had lost babies.....and have miscarried.......in all my years in England.......I knew of only one baby die....but when I talked to mums here they think its normal to miscarry.......and more then a few have lost babies soon after birth.......and yes they are all white......but in low paid jobs with no time off to have a baby.....they work while sick .............till they are about to give birth....and wonder why they have underweigh sick babies.....I know the Cape has more than its fair share of poor white people....most homes have 2 or more families living in them........to many people call motel rooms home.........young kids live in tents and in cars in the cold and snow.......I've never seen anything like it..........and I grow up in some of the poorest neighbourhoods in the UK........

Last edited by krizzy; Oct 8th 2005 at 2:21 pm.
Old Oct 8th 2005, 2:06 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Well known righty, me!
And apparently you've also had a sex change operation?
Old Oct 8th 2005, 2:39 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
And apparently you've also had a sex change operation?
Never felt a thing...
Old Oct 8th 2005, 2:44 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by krizzy
I tell you I was shocked to find out how many of my new American friends had lost babies.....and have miscarried.......in all my years in England.......I knew of only one baby die....but when I talked to mums here they think its normal to miscarry.......and more then a few have lost babies soon after birth.......and yes they are all white......but in low paid jobs with no time off to have a baby.....they work while sick .............till they are about to give birth....and wonder why they have underweigh sick babies.....I know the Cape has more than its fair share of poor white people....most homes have 2 or more families living in them........to many people call motel rooms home.........young kids live in tents and in cars in the cold and snow.......I've never seen anything like it..........and I grow up in some of the poorest neighbourhoods in the UK........

Maternity care is very behind here. Its still de rigeur to make the mother lie on her back feet up in stirrups, while the doctor insists he knows best. Natural births any other way (including home births) are a no no. I was shocked when I found this out. Also the post natal care is atrocious in most cases - no health visitors and no midwifes checking on mum and baby as we have back home.
Old Oct 8th 2005, 2:45 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Never felt a thing...
Isn't the NHS wonderful.
Old Oct 8th 2005, 3:24 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Maternity care is very behind here. Its still de rigeur to make the mother lie on her back feet up in stirrups, while the doctor insists he knows best. Natural births any other way (including home births) are a no no. I was shocked when I found this out. Also the post natal care is atrocious in most cases - no health visitors and no midwifes checking on mum and baby as we have back home.

How depressing. Is this still true everywhere?
Old Oct 8th 2005, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Maternity care is very behind here. Its still de rigeur to make the mother lie on her back feet up in stirrups, while the doctor insists he knows best. Natural births any other way (including home births) are a no no.
Maybe this has something to do with the fact that the vast majority of American women have an epidural at the first sign of labour..
Old Oct 8th 2005, 6:14 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodsey
Maybe this has something to do with the fact that the vast majority of American women have an epidural at the first sign of labour..
don't blame 'em...I'd have one if the missus didn't
Old Oct 9th 2005, 1:30 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

There are hospitals now that refuse the woman a natural birth, where C-sections are all scheduled. It saves time and lawsuits, don't you know?
Old Oct 9th 2005, 2:25 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
..... I didn't realised that infant mortality was so high in the USA...it's appalling and I guess that few of those babies are white. It's astonishing to me that pregnant and nursing mothers and infants don't get free health care in this prosperous country.
Isn't it more astonishing that in a country that does have "free" state education, that so many people have children that they cannot, and surely know ahead of time they cannot, afford to feed, clothe, and care for?

What ever happened to personal responsibility?
Old Oct 9th 2005, 3:17 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Isn't it more astonishing that in a country that does have "free" state education, that so many people have children that they cannot, and surely know ahead of time they cannot, afford to feed, clothe, and care for?

What ever happened to personal responsibility?
Is that really the case?

How many engineers, etc...do you know, who lost their jobs after 9/11 for instance, and couldn't find work for years? I can tell you that I know a couple of them.

How many folk are out there, who have lost everything they own, have had to file bankruptcy, due to an illness, for example?

You are making broad-based assumptions. Over 40 million Americans don't have healthcare, many of them small business owners who just can't afford it. Is it their fault, or is it the system's?
Old Oct 9th 2005, 3:27 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Never felt a thing...

You're just showing off because you can afford anaesthetic.
Have you worked out my Thecret yet?
Old Oct 9th 2005, 3:36 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by izibear
How many folk are out there, who have lost everything they own, have had to file bankruptcy, due to an illness, for example?

Not much of an option after tomorrow.
Old Oct 9th 2005, 4:18 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney
You're just showing off because you can afford anaesthetic.
Have you worked out my Thecret yet?

Jawohl. And I never even guessed!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.