Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

DEAR Citii-bannk Card-holders

DEAR Citii-bannk Card-holders

Old May 16th 2004, 10:46 am
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute
Default DEAR Citii-bannk Card-holders

I got this email today. You would think that if they were going to go to the trouble of trying to con you out of your money, they would at least use spell-check.

DEAR Citii-bannk Card-holders,

_This letter was seent by the_ citi_bank sevrer to veerify _your E_Mail adderss.

You must complete this process by clicking on _the link beelow and enteering in the smmall window your _Citibank_ _ATM_ Card number and pin that _you use on the ATM. That is done for_your protection -i- because some of our membres _no longer have access to their e_mail _address_es and we must verify it.

http://bco9z84hf.com*3241.%64%61.%52...u=cDj08AdmcwOt

To verify _your E_MAIL _address_ and _access_ _your_ Online-Citibank account, click on the_ link bellow.
Old May 16th 2004, 1:13 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Its a scam, I hope to god you didn't fall for it.
Forwards the email to citi bank, I'm sure they have a spoof email/ scam address.

That URL takes you to a Russian site that they have made to look just like a Citi bank site.
No doubt they will take the pin number ect and make new atm cards so that they can drain the acct.
I would guess being Russian, they are having a problem with the English language, fools..

Last edited by excpomea; May 16th 2004 at 1:16 pm.
Old May 16th 2004, 1:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I've had at least 4 of these emails in the last month or so. Trouble is, I don't have a Citi card!
Old May 16th 2004, 5:18 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DEAR Citii-bannk Card-holders

Tricky one this -- spelin misteaks allmost mayk it fele genyouine american.
Old May 16th 2004, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

edwords is on a distinguished road

It's called "phishing." It's a scam.
Old May 16th 2004, 7:40 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by edwords
It's called "phishing." It's a scam.
Originally posted by excpomea
Its a scam, I hope to god you didn't fall for it.
Of course it is a scam.

My point was that it contained some of the worst spelling and grammatical errors it was funny. Anyone who read it, thought it was real and was reaching for their wallet, deserves to be taken to the cleaners.
Old May 17th 2004, 5:44 pm
Carrot Cruncher

pilgrim22 is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe the spelling mistakes are to fool spam filters. This Citibank one is common, and has been going around for a while (I get them all the time, without being a card holder), so spam filters have gotten wise to these emails. Misspelled (? ) versions may fool spam filters so that they get through to your Inbox. Spammers/phishers will try ANY and EVERY trick to get the email to your Inbox.