Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dealing with the US Embassy.

Dealing with the US Embassy.

Old May 29th 2013, 3:30 pm
Just Joined

Wiggy91 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dealing with the US Embassy.

Originally Posted by kimilseung
I mean you deal with the consulate not the embassy, many places these are in the same building, but that is not always the case.
Oh right, I'll check that out. Thank you.
Old May 29th 2013, 3:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

zerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond repute

There are currently 66,000 non citizens in the US Armed Forces, many travelled to the US with enlistment as their goal so there's obviously a way somewhere!
Green card holders (LPRs) are non-citizens.

You can only get a green card if you live in the United States for 5 years or marry a U.S. citizen.
I don't know why I'd expect the Army to be dispensing accurate information about immigration, but that's still pretty bad.

A quick Google turns up a few programs from the past that allowed some non-residents to serve in some capacity (specifically, as health care professionals) but even these appear to have been targeted at people who were already physically present in the US, which the OP is not. There's no visa I know of that would allow him to do what he wants to do. However...

Originally Posted by Wiggy91
and lastly there is a girl I met in the UK who's from Edisto in South Carolina who I've been in correspondence with since 2008; she really likes me as I do here,
That's a bingo.
Old May 29th 2013, 4:01 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

As in the Clemson University Football Team Clemson? In SC? That team is the bane of my life
Old May 29th 2013, 4:04 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zerlesen
I don't know why I'd expect the Army to be dispensing accurate information about immigration, but that's still pretty bad.
Good catch, that is bad. Seems they think a US passport is green.
Old May 29th 2013, 4:22 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by civilservant
As in the Clemson University Football Team Clemson? In SC? That team is the bane of my life
Their team is called the Clemson Tigers. I am not a fan though, I was made an honorary member of the "Crimson Tide" back in 2009. Made in 'Bama; ROOOOLLLLLL TIIIIIIDE!!!
Old May 29th 2013, 4:37 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
I mean you deal with the consulate not the embassy, many places these are in the same building, but that is not always the case.
Originally Posted by Wiggy91
Oh right, I'll check that out. Thank you.
There's nothing to check out. The embassy is where you'll have a visa interview, if you find a visa you qualify for.

Rene
Old May 29th 2013, 4:46 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Wiggy,

I have a military story for you. My first husband was an immigrant. He was in the USA on an F-1 student visa when we met. We married and did his Adjustment of Status, and he got his green card. He had a Bachelor of Science in Engineering Physics. He wanted to join the US Navy, but he wanted to be an Officer. When he talked to a recruiter, he was told that he had to go through the 6 or 8 week basic training, and when that was finished the Navy would "grant him US Citizenship". Not knowing any better, we went ahead with that plan. Of course at the end of basic training, the Navy then said they couldn't do anything for him because he hadn't been a US PR long enough to apply for citizenship, and they couldn't expedite it for him. He didn't want to stay in if they weren't going to honor what the recruiter told him, so he got a dishonorable discharge. It was not a good experience. This was about 30 years ago, and I know times have changed....but my point is just to be careful when dealing with the US military, even if you do get to the USA and become a PR.

Rene
Old May 29th 2013, 4:52 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
There's nothing to check out. The embassy is where you'll have a visa interview, if you find a visa you qualify for.

Rene
The consulate is, around the corner.
Old May 29th 2013, 4:54 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Rene
That is not necessarily always true. Belfast being one of many examples.
Old May 29th 2013, 5:36 pm
Just Joined

Wiggy,

I have a military story for you. My first husband was an immigrant. He was in the USA on an F-1 student visa when we met. We married and did his Adjustment of Status, and he got his green card. He had a Bachelor of Science in Engineering Physics. He wanted to join the US Navy, but he wanted to be an Officer. When he talked to a recruiter, he was told that he had to go through the 6 or 8 week basic training, and when that was finished the Navy would "grant him US Citizenship". Not knowing any better, we went ahead with that plan. Of course at the end of basic training, the Navy then said they couldn't do anything for him because he hadn't been a US PR long enough to apply for citizenship, and they couldn't expedite it for him. He didn't want to stay in if they weren't going to honor what the recruiter told him, so he got a dishonorable discharge. It was not a good experience. This was about 30 years ago, and I know times have changed....but my point is just to be careful when dealing with the US military, even if you do get to the USA and become a PR.

Rene
I appreciate what you are saying, since 9/11 the government has signed a bill which allows non-citizens to the right to citizenship immediately if they are deployed or after a period of time if they are not deployed, but on active duty.

The thing is, I am not asking for fast track US citizenship or special treatment in return for serving in the Armed Forces, I would like to escape the UK, I would like to reside in the US and I am genuinely interested in a career with the Armed Forces, more specifically with Armor both heavy and light and the US Army has the most outstanding Armor school of any nation on the face of the earth; even better now it has moved from Fort Knox to Fort Benning to make the Maneuver Centre of Excellence.

I'm sorry to hear your husband's plan didn't work out, I respect his decision to not proceed based on principles but I'm sure he'd have enjoyed the experience of serving in the US Navy had he done so.
Old May 29th 2013, 5:40 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

We all get what you're saying, but you have to appreciate what we're saying too. You need to get a Green Card by alternate methods before even thinking about enlisting, and at present you have no route to a Green Card - so it's best to forget about the Army in the medium term and focus on getting there first.
Old May 29th 2013, 5:40 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Marriage is your route.
Old May 29th 2013, 6:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by civilservant
We all get what you're saying, but you have to appreciate what we're saying too. You need to get a Green Card by alternate methods before even thinking about enlisting, and at present you have no route to a Green Card - so it's best to forget about the Army in the medium term and focus on getting there first.
I do appreciate what you are saying, I am merely explaining myself to new people as they comment.

Cheers
Old May 29th 2013, 6:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

jxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond repute

This is probably not relevant to the OP's scenario, but the US Army (not the other branches of the military) re-opened the MAVNI program. The MAVNI program allows health care professionals and translators who have certain valid non-immigrant status and have been present in the US for 2 years to join the Army. Those that join become US Citizens (without ever having to become permanent residents) once they complete basic training (this is a Naturalization under INA Section 329 - Service during war time).

http://www.defense.gov/news/mavni-fact-sheet.pdf

This allows the Army to recruit non-citizens without having to bother with sponsoring them for green cards or non-immigrant visas. The army will NOT sponsor you for the non-immigrant visa, you have to have that first.
Old May 30th 2013, 4:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

With respect I don't think you are fully understanding the replies you are receiving.

Congratulations on your forthcoming nuptials.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.