British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Dealing with the US Embassy. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/dealing-us-embassy-798389/)

Wiggy91 May 29th 2013 3:11 am

Dealing with the US Embassy.

Hello,
I am new to the site and was wondering if any of you could explain to me the process of dealing with the US Embassy and what kind of things I would need for an interview and what kind of questions they asked you etc.

I am a 21 year old male and at the moment would be looking to move to the US with the aim of joining the US Army as a 19K (Tank crewman), I would ask that people not launch a salvo in my direction about this decision, yes I appreciate the UK has a fantastically trained armed forces, I am from a military family and have cousins who are still serving; however they are all Officers and at the moment I'm not sure if I am going to be able to amount the UCAS points required for the AOSB (Army Officer Selection Board).

In any case, I have long thought about emigration to the US, having alot of friends there I've always felt like I'm on the same page as them whereas I feel like an outsider here in the UK, a country were I'm supposed to feel like I fit right in. I agree with the US's overall more conservative outlook on the world and believe that I would benefit enormously from a move.

Anyway, I am going to write to the embassy, but I must admit I am a bit nervous as I'm not sure whether they're going to be fairly easy to talk to or whether I'm going to come face to face with a steely eyed agent who is not only going to try and trip me up in an interview, but will make no secret of doing so.

Thank you,
Ollie

kimilseung May 29th 2013 3:22 am

Re: Dealing with the US Embassy.

Might be better contacting the army before contacting the consulate. There will be no interview without a visa application, and that will probably require an offer of a job from the army.

To the best of my knowledge you need to be a resident to join the army. I also think you do need to be a citizen to be an officer.

Wiggy91 May 29th 2013 3:26 am

I think I'll give that a go, but they make clear that they cannot help me get a resident visa, only that they accept non-citizens into the enlisted ranks for most MOS's and that once in the US they can help fastrack citizenship once you're in the Armed Services.

There are currently 66,000 non citizens in the US Armed Forces, many travelled to the US with enlistment as their goal so there's obviously a way somewhere!

I'll see what the Army say.

Cheers,
Oilie

sir_eccles May 29th 2013 3:56 am

A quick Google suggests you need to be a legal resident before joining.

Have you considered online dating?

md95065 May 29th 2013 4:02 am

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 10729793)
Have you considered online dating?

Yes - based on the information given so far your only hope of getting to the US would appear to be through marriage to a US citizen ...

Also, you really should read the thread entitled REALLY, READ ME: Want to Live & Work in the US?

RICH May 29th 2013 4:51 am

Do you speak any foreign languages? I see a future for you in the CIA.

Noorah101 May 29th 2013 5:25 am

Originally Posted by Wiggy91 (Post 10729768)
I am new to the site and was wondering if any of you could explain to me the process of dealing with the US Embassy and what kind of things I would need for an interview and what kind of questions they asked you etc.

Interview for what visa?

I am a 21 year old male and at the moment would be looking to move to the US with the aim of joining the US Army as a 19K (Tank crewman)
Is the US military prepared to sponsor you for a visa to the USA? If not, then that's the end of the road for you, unless you find another way into the USA....for example, marry a USC, or study in the USA with the hope of finding a job after you graduate, with a company that will sponsor your work visa and then sponsor you for a green card, and then once you have a green card in hand, THEN you can join the military.

The military might make an exception if you have something very special to bring to the table. Do you speak Arabic, Farsi, Dari or Urdu?

Rene

civilservant May 29th 2013 5:56 am

With respect, your goal as the state it is impossible, since the Army is very very unlikely to sponsor a potential immigrant for a GC (with the associated $) when they are cutting budgets and potentially drawing down on the enlisted personnel they already have.

customsquestion May 29th 2013 8:23 am

Why can you not be a tank gunner in the english army? You will probably have to have at least a green card which involves marriage to a USC mostly likely so forget about the army. There might be ways into america for you, student visas etc but forget about the army it's not going to happen so drop your boyhood fantasy. And don't write to the embassy they will think your a nutcase! And your details will be recorded in their system.

scrubbedexpat099 May 29th 2013 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by customsquestion (Post 10730013)
Why can you not be a tank gunner in the english army? You will probably have to have at least a green card which involves marriage to a USC mostly likely so forget about the army. There might be ways into america for you, student visas etc but forget about the army it's not going to happen so drop your boyhood fantasy. And don't write to the embassy they will think your a nutcase! And your details will be recorded in their system.

Because England has not had an Army for over 300 years?

customsquestion May 29th 2013 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 10730534)
Because England has not had an Army for over 300 years?

We have an army mate! We are just waiting for the french to try something! :rofl:

airbusfan May 29th 2013 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by Wiggy91 (Post 10729768)
Hello,

I am a 21 year old male and at the moment would be looking to move to the US with the aim of joining the US Army as a 19K (Tank crewman), I would ask that people not launch a salvo in my direction about this decision, yes I appreciate the UK has a fantastically trained armed forces, I am from a military family and have cousins who are still serving; however they are all Officers and at the moment I'm not sure if I am going to be able to amount the UCAS points required for the AOSB (Army Officer Selection Board).

In any case, I have long thought about emigration to the US, having alot of friends there I've always felt like I'm on the same page as them whereas I feel like an outsider here in the UK, a country were I'm supposed to feel like I fit right in. I agree with the US's overall more conservative outlook on the world and believe that I would benefit enormously from a move.

Anyway, I am going to write to the embassy, but I must admit I am a bit nervous as I'm not sure whether they're going to be fairly easy to talk to or whether I'm going to come face to face with a steely eyed agent who is not only going to try and trip me up in an interview, but will make no secret of doing so.

Thank you,
Ollie

Before writing to the embassy, go to www.goarmy.com and see if you can contact a recruiter in the army who can help you.

scrubbedexpat099 May 29th 2013 2:04 pm

Better to start with a dating site.

scrubbedexpat099 May 29th 2013 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by customsquestion (Post 10730539)
We have an army mate! We are just waiting for the french to try something! :rofl:

Ohhh dear

DavidLemon May 29th 2013 2:17 pm

This is according to the US Army itself.

You cannot join the U.S. Army unless you are a U.S. citizen, U.S. National, or have a green card. You can only get a green card if you live in the United States for 5 years or marry a U.S. citizen. In order to move to the United States you have to get a resident card. You can obtain a resident card by first getting a job in the U.S. US Citizenship and Immigration Services