Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dealing with Negative Equity and Rent Vs. Sell

Dealing with Negative Equity and Rent Vs. Sell

Old Jul 25th 2008, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

austin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dealing with Negative Equity and Rent Vs. Sell

Originally Posted by lochdaz-of-blantyre
Oh...thats not what I thought at all..

I thought I would be able to deduct the total value of my annual interest only mortgage i.e. roughly $20k.

Bummer thats not as good as I thought then. This is very confusing.

D

Yes you can deduct the mortgage payment as part of your costs (800pounds * 12).
But this is basically zeroed out by the profit you make (900pounds * 12).
Your other costs: management fee, insurance, repairs, etc, will probably result in a small overall loss every year.

In other words you deduct the mortgage from your tax, but you also have to pay tax on the rent you are making.