Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dealing with initial lack of credit history

Dealing with initial lack of credit history

Old Aug 23rd 2010, 3:14 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dealing with initial lack of credit history

Originally Posted by MattHague

Ultimately though, you should consider why you need said credit - are you planning to stay and buy property and require a mortgage? If so that will take several years, and if not then you should be able to survive just fine with crappy credit and a decent paycheck.
Everything is affected by crappy credit though, from being able to get utilities signed up to getting good mobile phone contracts.

You get history and a score in 6 months of starting and if you start a couple lines of credit, such as a car loan and credit card, you start to build up a history quite easily.

Not bothering to do so will cause more hassle in the long run.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 12:08 pm
London-San Fran-Vancouver

BadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud of

We are in the same position we fly out on 23rd September from London to SF.

We are currently with HSBC and I believe we should be able to go into a branch there and open an account with the many years of history we have with them
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 12:35 pm
Spouse of Resident Alien

White-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BadgerNaboo
We are in the same position we fly out on 23rd September from London to SF.

We are currently with HSBC and I believe we should be able to go into a branch there and open an account with the many years of history we have with them
HSBC 'normal' is not so easy - they will expect you to be a 'premier' customer - that is their international section - more expensive but you will be able to get a credit card from them.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 12:54 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

We got our personal Amex card in February 2008 (hubby had a company card for years but that didn't count) - used it once for about £12.00 moved in June 2008 and did the global transfer - $5,000 limit but that was fine for getting a credit score started. Of course they may have amended their rules since then.

I got a Macy's store card about 4 months in (as the trailing spouse) and not even working.

Mortgage came 6 months in from Bank of America.

2 years later the credit card companies are falling over themselves to give us cards - Capital One write to us both at least once a week.

The thing that annoyed me most was having to put down deposits for services - $300 for electric and I think $100 for cable tv.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 12:58 pm

BadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud of

Does anyone know if having a very large bank balance would help. Selling my house in London and I will have that money in the bank.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 1:06 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know if having a very large bank balance would help. Selling my house in London and I will have that money in the bank.
At the very least you could get a secured card with a huge limit. Might be a pain if it didn't go unsecured though, so prob best to stick with BoA.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 1:07 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't seem to in our case - we sold up and put down 65% on the new house over here and still had to jump through hoops to get our mortgage. Chase Bank had the cash sitting in their account for 6 months and the most they would offer us was a $500 limit credit card.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 2:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

No.

It might help with a rental agreement and it'll allow you to put deposits down for everything but that's it.

You don't get the benefits of being a good customer here either, you only get dings on your score for late or none payment, but they don't report that you've been a good customer.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 2:59 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Depends how much. Banking customers are not all equal. If you are going to be special, they'll tell you and assign you your own private banker.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Depends how much. Banking customers are not all equal. If you are going to be special, they'll tell you and assign you your own private banker.
We will have around 450k GBP not sure if that is seen as a lot or not
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 3:44 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

We will have around 450k GBP not sure if that is seen as a lot or not
Doubt it for private banking. If you were generating that sum every year, though, I'm sure they'd take care of you.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Doubt it for private banking. If you were generating that sum every year, though, I'm sure they'd take care of you.
Just want to be able to get utilities, buy a car and be accepted to rent a place..
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 3:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Remember that HSBC UK version and HSBC US version are separate companies. Same for most other businesses too. They may have reciprocal agreements like with their premier international banking but it has limits.

It helped with me. I was opening my account at what was then Wachovia told him how much I was depositing and he suddenly got all friendly and said "no problem sir, let's get you upgraded to a gold account instead".
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Remember that HSBC UK version and HSBC US version are separate companies. Same for most other businesses too. They may have reciprocal agreements like with their premier international banking but it has limits.

It helped with me. I was opening my account at what was then Wachovia told him how much I was depositing and he suddenly got all friendly and said "no problem sir, let's get you upgraded to a gold account instead".
Seems like a bit of a mine field.. I feel like I'm starting from scratch, which, I guess I am!
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 4:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Just want to be able to get utilities, buy a car and be accepted to rent a place..
Utilities, be prepared to have to put down hefty deposits when you sign up for these due to lack of credit history. On the plus side after a year of paying each bill perfectly they will report this to the credit agencies boosting your score and history and may even give you your deposit back (obviously this varies).

Seems like a bit of a mine field.. I feel like I'm starting from scratch, which, I guess I am!
It can seem that way but many people have gone before you and succeeded.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.