Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

DC road trip to Gettysburg, worth it?

DC road trip to Gettysburg, worth it?

Old Feb 7th 2012, 11:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond repute
Default DC road trip to Gettysburg, worth it?

Just back from hectic business and I will be getting a full day off before flying home.

I am staying near Dulles airport and I am considering hiring a car and driving to Gettysburg. I am afraid I know nothing about the Civil war and so I thought this would be interesting and informative.

What suggestions do yo have, any alternatives or should I spend my day elsewhere?

Thanks for any advice.
Old Feb 8th 2012, 12:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DC road trip to Gettysburg, worth it?

Dulles to Gettysburg, PA is a bit of a hike (about 70 miles each way). Another Civil War battlefield, Bull Run (Manassas, VA), is much closer (15 miles each way):

http://www.nps.gov/mana/index.htm
Old Feb 8th 2012, 1:50 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I guess it is interesting but you'll probably not get the full enjoyment without some understanding of the battles and what took place. I've actually met some British Army folks who flew over to Gettysburg because they were studying the battles in class, and they wanted to get a feel of the landscape to help understand why things took place. "When you are there, you can understand why so and so flanked to the left from his position instead of the right, given the cover or the hills or whatnot" and stuff like that they said. Guess it made sense to students of military strategy.

But really I think a day in DC would be far more rewarding. You'll get a lot more 'crammed together' than you would hiking way up there for just one attraction.
Old Feb 8th 2012, 4:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix View Post
But really I think a day in DC would be far more rewarding. You'll get a lot more 'crammed together' than you would hiking way up there for just one attraction.
I agree with this. If you haven't been to DC before, I think it's better to go into the city and explore the attractions there (unless you really are a serious Civil War buff and absolutely need to see a battlefield).
Old Feb 8th 2012, 6:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lamin View Post
Just back from hectic business and I will be getting a full day off before flying home.

I am staying near Dulles airport and I am considering hiring a car and driving to Gettysburg. I am afraid I know nothing about the Civil war and so I thought this would be interesting and informative.

What suggestions do yo have, any alternatives or should I spend my day elsewhere?

Thanks for any advice.

If you want a Great Experience at the Gettysburg Battlefields, start off with a visit to the Visitor's Centre on Gettysburg Pike. It's well signposted off of Highway 15.

Then, hire a Certified Battlefield Guide, for a 2 hour tour of the Battlefield. He will describe what happened, pretty much hour by hour as events unfolded.

Having done several Tours of the Battlefield, each year, with both school and adult groups, I thoroughly recommend requesting David Richards
for your Guide. I have worked with him several times, over the years.

http://www.gettysburgtourguides.org/reservations.html

Lots of good places to eat in Town, too.

Good Luck.

Jim (Coach Driver).