Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

DC or Boston for 30something female?

DC or Boston for 30something female?

Old Apr 8th 2013, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DC or Boston for 30something female?

Originally Posted by SoftwareBloke
I haven't been to DC but what I have been told by people I know here is that it is a bit like Canberra in Australia where it is an admin centre with some museums and monuments but not much else.
You were told wrong.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 6:54 pm
Just Joined

leedsrhinos1971 is an unknown quantity at this point

My vote definitely goes to Boston. Great city, friendly people and reasonable transport system (better than DC by a mile). I used to live in Maryland in between Baltimore and DC for five years and visited DC many times before moving north to New England and if there is one thing that drove me nuts about the area was the humid summers.....working in Baltimore as far as I was concerned the nasty humid summer started in April and would last sometimes through October. If I had a choice between a few months of harsh winter and 6 months of sweat hell, I would take the former. Coming from the UK, I could just never get use to the humidity.
Old Apr 11th 2013, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
DC may be a capital city, but apart form museums it's a bit of a cultural desert where as Boston has lots of great theater, cinema, concerts etc. Also I found DC to be more segregated than DC and it's a "company" town. In contrats Boston is more varied because of all the different colleges and tech employers.
I'm not buying that argument.

DC has plenty of good nightlife e.g. downtown, Adams Morgan, Dupont Circle, Georgetown, etc.

DC has major league sports teams in hockey, football, baseball, basketball and soccer.

DC is a major stop on concert tours.

DC has a good theater scene (http://dctheatrescene.com/).

I don't know what "great cinema" means but there are plenty of cinemas.

As for colleges/universities, DC has the following:
- American University
- The Catholic University of America
- Corcoran College of Art and Design
- Gallaudet University
- The George Washington University
- Georgetown University
- Howard University
- Trinity Washington University
- University of the District of Columbia

Graduate institutions
- The Catholic University of America
- Columbus School of Law
- The George Washington University
- The George Washington University Law School
- Trachtenberg School of Public Policy and Public Administration
- George Washington University Medical School
- The George Washington University Graduate School of Education and Human Development
- Georgetown University
- Georgetown University Law Center
- Georgetown University School of Medicine
- Graduate School USA
- Howard University
- Howard University School of Law
- Howard University College of Medicine
- Howard University College of Dentistry
- Johns Hopkins University
- Paul H. Nitze School of Advanced International Studies
- American University
- Washington College of Law
- Dominican House of Studies
- Institute of World Politics
- International Circle of Faith Colleges and Seminaries
- School for International Training Graduate Institute
- Washington Theological Union
Old Apr 11th 2013, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

SEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to behold

"I don't know what "great cinema" means but there are plenty of cinemas."

The DC area has plenty of cinemas, but on any given week 98% are showing the same half a dozen films, all the major Hollywood releases.

For anything left field or Foreign, there is the E Street Cinema, the West End Cinema, the Shirlington Cinema, and the AFI in Silver Spring.

I suppose that's not too bad -- though E St, West End and Shirlington tend to show the same films at the same time, so it's not quite as varied as that first appears.

But for a major city, it's not very good. They are all run by corporations, there are no idiosyncratic places that do their own programming like the Electric Cinema or Ritzy and so on in London.
Old Apr 11th 2013, 7:29 pm
IPM
Forum Regular

IPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to all

Originally Posted by SEL_boy

The DC area has plenty of cinemas, but on any given week 98% are showing the same half a dozen films, all the major Hollywood releases.

For anything left field or Foreign, there is the E Street Cinema, the West End Cinema, the Shirlington Cinema, and the AFI in Silver Spring.

I suppose that's not too bad -- though E St, West End and Shirlington tend to show the same films at the same time, so it's not quite as varied as that first appears.

But for a major city, it's not very good. They are all run by corporations, there are no idiosyncratic places that do their own programming like the Electric Cinema or Ritzy and so on in London.
You should also check out the Avalon theatre in NW. Beautifully restored with community support and showing all kinds of alternative movies
Old Apr 12th 2013, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

SEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by IPM
You should also check out the Avalon theatre in NW. Beautifully restored with community support and showing all kinds of alternative movies
Yes, you're right, I forgot about that one. It's a bit far from me in Arlington which is why it slipped my mind, but it is a goodie. But is it the only one? There's the Arlington Cinema and Drafthouse on Columbia Pike -- it's fun, but it's hardly an arthouse.
Old Apr 12th 2013, 2:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

redarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of light

also the Howard theatre beautifully restored too and a great place for a concert.

went to see sister Hazel there a few weeks ago, absolutley fantastic night.

Also Bethesda row cinema is a great place to see not the run of the mill movies
Old Apr 12th 2013, 9:07 pm
Just Joined

KatyaM is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow - amazing that this thread has generated so much helpful advice on both cities. I won't ever want for local info ever again. Many thanks.
Old Apr 13th 2013, 2:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by SEL_boy

There's also the West End Cinema in addition to others listed above. We're not pretending that DC is London. I thought we were providing comparisons between DC and Boston (which isn't London either by the way). In the grand scheme of things, there's really not that much difference between the 2 cities. Maybe DC has better museums. I could live quite happily in or around either city.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Apr 13th 2013 at 2:43 am.
Old Apr 13th 2013, 11:37 pm
Just Joined

mister_bobo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by KatyaM
Hello there,

I am looking at spending 6 months to a year on sabbatical from my UK job in a think tank or non profit in either Washington DC or Boston, and I was wondering if you kind people could share your views with me on the pro's and con's of both regarding some specific factors.
1) I have a walking disability, I can walk but not far and will be without a car, so need to be able to use buses, the tube and taxis and find somewhere to live that's situated near to public transport.
2) As I'll be moving over on my own and looking for accommodation (shared or otherwise), safety is a big factor for me.
3) Making friends - although I have contacts in both cities and expect to be able to make a few friends through work, on the ex pat and hobby scene, being able to meet friendly people is important. I come from London however, so almost anywhere will seem friendly in comparison! I am socially pro-active too.
4) The work I do is fairly serious and academic, but I am a laid back, friendly, communicative and down to earth person. Hearing the stereotypes of DC workers as hot headed politicos with no time for social or personal life, and of Bostonians as tied to their childhood circles and less open to outsiders is a bit scary. But then again, I come from London so most places have to be friendlier and contain some laid back people, right.

I'd be most grateful for any experience sharing in view of the above.
Thank you very much.
Cheers,
Katya
Hello, well congratulations on your opportunities! I can tell you that I have worked and lived in both. I live north of boston now, and have to tell you that with a walking disability, I have to say that DC is made better for that. I love my boston, but when it comes to addressing disabilities, DC seems to be more on top of staying on top of accessibilities. Boston is wonderful but a very very old city .