Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dazed'n'Confuzzled!! Where do I begin??

Wikiposts

Dazed'n'Confuzzled!! Where do I begin??

Old Mar 16th 2004, 9:34 pm
Just Joined

worldwideweeb is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Dazed'n'Confuzzled!! Where do I begin??

Morning all (well in Europe!),

I am a 23 year old (UK) IT Support Engineer, looking to live and work in either the US or Canada, and I guess I have two main questions :

1. Does anyone have similar experience of being in this situation i.e. only family tie is my cousin living near LA, no job offer (at present), and no dependants - not even a girlfriend! Any suggestions on where to start? I realise I need sponsorship, but should I apply remotely or visit the US and apply in person??

2. Where to live? I am a sporty individual with a strong interest in snowboarding, mountain-biking and wakeboarding. Also, I like busy atmospheres, so a sleepy-backwater town is probably not for me. Currently looking at the west coast Cali, Nevada etc... any suggestions/experiences??

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/advice, I am extremely grateful!!

See y'all!

Adam.

p.s. Does Mountain Dew give anyone else stomach aches?? I love the stuff, but too much makes me feel rather ill!!
Old Mar 16th 2004, 9:48 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Adam, and welcome. I'm sure someone will post the usual "how to move to America" message for your benefit. I'm not too familiar with IT work but I can tell you that it's a pretty poor market at the moment. Do you have a degree? You may find it nearly impossible to move to the US without a degree, unless you have years of experience. As far as location goes, I would say that you might find it a better bet to concern yourself with a visa first, and look on location as an added extra. Getting the visa is hard enough, and you would really have to consider absolutely anywhere in the US just to get the visa. I got an employment-based green card, and I still had to move to Arizona when I really wanted to be in New England. Wish you luck in finding a job.
Old Mar 16th 2004, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice
Default Re: Dazed'n'Confuzzled!! Where do I begin??

Not a hope in hell of getting an H1B sponsorship in IT at the moment. I wouldn't even bother pursuing it.

Better chance with Canada because immigration as a skilled worker category can be done without a job offer. Do a self-assessment on the government web site and see where you stand: www.cic.gc.ca
Old Mar 16th 2004, 10:03 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Rockgurl! I do have a degree, plus I have worked for Microsoft, and am currently supporting IT across Austria and Italy for a UK Holiday Tour Operator. I realise the market is in a lull, plus was told this by a lawyer, but thought I would see what people with experience had to say.

CalgaryAMC - Completed the self-assessment, got 65 without job offer, and basic in all French language abilities - do they ever test you on this, as the next level up in any discipline adds 5/6 points I seem to remember!! Looking at Calgary as an option as I have some friends there and like the area. Would you suggest the Skilled Worker over a 1 year visa through BUNAC and applying directly to positions in Canada??

Adam.
Old Mar 16th 2004, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

Originally posted by worldwideweeb
basic in all French language abilities - do they ever test you on this, as the next level up in any discipline adds 5/6 points I seem to remember!!
They can require a language test (done by a third-party agency) if you don't have documentation supporting the claim. I don't know what you can claim with a GCSE in French but I'm not confident it counts for more than "basic."

The BUNAC scheme is an easier way for you to get to Canada, but I am not confident you will be able to do anything particularly worthwhile when you get here. What you would end up doing would probably be beneath your education and experience.

So for that reason I'd be tempted to do what I could to get skilled worker permanent residency, since you're so very close to the 67 points.
Old Mar 16th 2004, 10:53 pm
Just Joined

yeah, I guessing GCSE doesn't count for much!! wouldn't really call Ou est la poste advanced! ha ha

I am in contact with a guy who did the opposite move and came to UK with the Canadian equivalent of BUNAC. He is working in my dad's firm and seems to have done ok. Maybe I could get that VISA, then try applying for decent roles once I get over to Canada...thats we he recommended anyway.

Will have to check out the online assesment again, as the only way I could see to getting more points was with more language skills i.e. taking a course, or with a job offer - which I could try to get through the BUNAC route....

Any idea on the lead time for the skilled worker visa???
Old Mar 17th 2004, 12:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

In the US GCSE's mean nothing, A-levels mean nothing and a UK degree isn't held in much regard.

IT is so bunk right now, I just got a job in tech support after 9 month of looking and its way below my qualifications, but it gets me in the door. The problem is that there are 1000's of local candidates for every IT job and no company is willing to wait to sponsor a visa, at their expense, when there are a bunch of people that can start within a couple of weeks.
Old Mar 17th 2004, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by worldwideweeb
yeah, I guessing GCSE doesn't count for much!! wouldn't really call Ou est la poste advanced! ha ha

I am in contact with a guy who did the opposite move and came to UK with the Canadian equivalent of BUNAC. He is working in my dad's firm and seems to have done ok. Maybe I could get that VISA, then try applying for decent roles once I get over to Canada...thats we he recommended anyway.

Will have to check out the online assesment again, as the only way I could see to getting more points was with more language skills i.e. taking a course, or with a job offer - which I could try to get through the BUNAC route....

Any idea on the lead time for the skilled worker visa???
Move this over into one of the Canadian forums. You'll get some great feedback on your Canadian options.