British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Days in the USA / UK Green Card (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/days-usa-uk-green-card-868984/)

tamhawk1969 Dec 9th 2015 8:51 am

Days in the USA / UK Green Card

Hi

I am a permanent resident with another 6 years on my green card. My mother is not very well and I will be spending a lot more time in the UK in 2016 maybe up to a month long stay at a time.

Is there a minimum requirement of days that I have to be in the USA to ensure that my permanent resident status stay intact?

Thanks
Tamhawk1969

nun Dec 9th 2015 2:28 pm

Re: Days in the USA / UK Green Card

Originally Posted by tamhawk1969 (Post 11810777)
Hi

I am a permanent resident with another 6 years on my green card. My mother is not very well and I will be spending a lot more time in the UK in 2016 maybe up to a month long stay at a time.

Is there a minimum requirement of days that I have to be in the USA to ensure that my permanent resident status stay intact?

Thanks
Tamhawk1969

If you intend to return to the US I wouldn't worry too much about spending a few months in the UK. Just make sure you keep your connections the the US strong. So keep doing things like paying rent and utilities. If you will be spending a year in the UK you should apply for a re-entry visa (SB-1)

Noorah101 Dec 9th 2015 2:33 pm

If he's going to spend more than a year in the UK, he should first apply for a re-entry permit by filing an I-131 and doing the associated biometrics.

The SB-1 would be needed if he is already outside the USA, and thinks his PR status has been abandoned.

OP, also look at the USCIS Guide to Naturalization to see how time outside the USA affects your ability to naturalize.

Rene

Pulaski Dec 9th 2015 2:36 pm

Upto six months at a time is highly unlikely to cause an issue so long as you maintain your US home, a bank account and other trappings of making your home in the US. Upto twelve months at a time probably wouldn't be an issue either.

"Upto a month" so far short of anything that would attract any attention of USCIS that you really have nothing to worry about.

Nutmegger Dec 9th 2015 6:19 pm

If you are going to be jumping back and forth, just keep a record so that you won't be trying to reconstruct your travel history if and when you want to naturalize.

durham_lad Dec 9th 2015 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 11811165)
If you are going to be jumping back and forth, just keep a record so that you won't be trying to reconstruct your travel history if and when you want to naturalize.

Good point. Even getting a green card will require you to list all your out of country travel dates over the past few years.

Noorah101 Dec 9th 2015 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by durham_lad (Post 11811185)
Good point. Even getting a green card will require you to list all your out of country travel dates over the past few years.

He already has a green card.

Rene

durham_lad Dec 9th 2015 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 11811301)
He already has a green card.

Rene

The same comments apply if he wants to apply for Naturalization. Not sure about renewal of his green card in 4 years if they require the last 5 years overseas travel history. I just recall for my green card and for citizenship application searching through my passport for visa stamps to try and recall when I had been out of the country. I wish I'd kept a better record of my overseas trips at the time.