Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

"A day that will decide the fate of the world"

"A day that will decide the fate of the world"

Old Nov 2nd 2004, 8:32 pm
Franklin

Smile "A day that will decide the fate of the world"

"A day that will decide the fate of the world" ... well that's how the Independent bills it; see:
http://news.independent.co.uk/world/...p?story=578458

So did you vote? What was it like? Was it your first time (i.e. in the USA)?

Me ... stood in one line for an hour or so ... I joined the line at a local voting station in a school next to where I live ... it was pretty busy even though it was around 10 AM ... I intentionally tried to avoid the early morning crowd and the lunchtime crowd ... so I was pretty surprised to see such a long line. At the end of the first line I got checked out and issued a yellow token and asked to join a second line (the voting line). The 2nd line was about 10 minutes "long". Finally I got to vote! FIRST TIME IN THE USA!!!

There were some cameras and TV crew outside and some cameras inside, but they did not try to speak to anyone - one of them told me that if they speak to anyone inside the voting station they would be asked to leave. Outside they were interviewing various voters. I asked them where they were from (they had European accents) and they said they were from Belgium. Just an observation, but Rimmer in Red Dwarf often spouts on about "Belgians".

Old Nov 2nd 2004, 9:03 pm
warksgirl

Default Re: "A day that will decide the fate of the world"

I will definitely be watching the coverage of the results this evening. It's something I always do with my husband. Unfortunately, he's out of town so I'm afraid I'll have to watch on my own. Won't be the same...

It's interesting to be here, to see what's going on and to talk to people here, rather than watching it solely on the news from overseas. Having said that, it varies so much from state to state, what's happening in your area differs to other parts of the country, so you're watching most of it on the news anyway.

There's been a lot of news about the lines, such as the ones that you describe. People are definitely voting here, but it's rather quiet; this is based on my observation of the polling stations during the day: mostly housewives and OAPs.

What's important is that voter turn out is good. The optimist in me says that people have taken notice and want their say.

Has anybody heard any voter turn out statistics?

Old Nov 2nd 2004, 9:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

I can't vote but I'm very interested in the whole election process here, it's a lot different to what I'm used to.

One of my friends took 3 hours to vote this morning in a suburb of Atlanta.

-tom
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 9:40 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patent Attorney
"A day that will decide the fate of the world" ...
more like

"Three months and the Supreme Court that will decide the fate of the world"
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 9:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

I saw on CNN this morning that in Ohio there can be "challengers" in polling stations, these people work for either the Republicans or Democrats, they will question the eligibility of voters when they arrive to cast their vote.

Here's a link to the story;

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/....ap/index.html

-tom