Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is it as daunting as it sounds?

Is it as daunting as it sounds?

Old May 10th 2006, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

Chrisw1968 has a brilliant futureChrisw1968 has a brilliant futureChrisw1968 has a brilliant futureChrisw1968 has a brilliant futureChrisw1968 has a brilliant futureChrisw1968 has a brilliant futureChrisw1968 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Is it as daunting as it sounds?

I apologise - No, I didn't see that - but i have now

There is sooo much info there too - its awesome

Thanks again to those who helped me
Old May 10th 2006, 1:20 pm
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chrisw1968
Sorry, forgot to ask also - can i just swap my British drivers licence for an American (IA) one? or do i need to retake driving tests etc?
Thanks again
It depends on what state you go to , as there is no national standard. I think you can use a British one for six months but after that you will need to get a license for the state you are in. Even if you do have to take a test again dont worry, as in most states it is simple, for example I had to reverse the car, make 5 right turns, park the car and I got my license.
Old May 10th 2006, 1:20 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobkatz
You must work for Immigration.

I'll use the other door in future

I don't know why you snapped at Elfman. He only pointed out that you are more likely to get actionable answers in the Marriage based immigration forum.

Not saying that the answers from people here have not been sensible, just that they are more anectotal rather than giving you the step-by-step outline of what you need to do, and the potential 'issues' that could arise. The other forum also includes a very useful FAQs.

I would also suggest you look at the 'How to live and work in the US' article (not sure of precise title, but it's something like that; very useful).
Old May 10th 2006, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, forgot to ask also - can i just swap my British drivers licence for an American (IA) one? or do i need to retake driving tests etc?
Thanks again
Depends on which state you will be residing in. Laws vary from state to state plus after establishing residency (i.e. you're not a visitor, but a legal resident), there is a deadline by which you must (in nearly every state) obtain that state's driving license.
Old May 10th 2006, 2:16 pm
Just Joined

bobkatz is an unknown quantity at this point

It wasn't meant to be a pop at Elfman.
It was just a cynical observation on Immigration.

Maybe Chris will fare better with the process than I did.... LOL..

Having jumped every hurdle including the finale at Grosvenor Square on a sweltering hot day of heightened security, a packed waiting room, broken air conditioning and an inaudible tannoy ... Weeks later I proudly arrived at USA airport Immigration clutching my big brown envelope which I can not open or I'll be shot and my rolled up Xray from the good doctor.
Welcomed to America my papers were processed and my hand was shaken.
All done you think....LOL. Immigration stamped my entry visa in my passport but not the paperwork... It is still not resolved.. Everytime I go through US Immigration (and I travel a lot ) I am told my UK passport is registered as stolen on the computer and have to go through the same round of questioning.
One day I will show them my birthmark...LOL

Bobkatz

[QUOTE=Elvira]I don't know why you snapped at Elfman. He only pointed out that you are more likely to get actionable answers in the Marriage based immigration forum.
Old May 10th 2006, 2:38 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=bobkatz]It wasn't meant to be a pop at Elfman.

Having jumped every hurdle including the finale at Grosvenor Square on a sweltering hot day of heightened security, a packed waiting room, broken air conditioning and an inaudible tannoy ... Weeks later I proudly arrived at USA airport Immigration clutching my big brown envelope which I can not open or I'll be shot and my rolled up Xray from the good doctor.
All done you think....LOL. Immigration stamped my entry visa in my passport but not the paperwork... It is still not resolved.. Everytime I go through US Immigration (and I travel a lot ) I am told my UK passport is registered as stolen on the computer and have to go through the same round of questioning.

Bobkatz

Originally Posted by Elvira
I don't know why you snapped at Elfman. He only pointed out that you are more likely to get actionable answers in the Marriage based immigration forum.

Before you make any snap decision to go to the US and get married- you should go to the Marriage Based and do a search on "10 foot pole". It seems that if one goes to the USA with no preconceived plan to marry, and does- they are in quite a different legal class than those who go to the USA planning on marrying and then staying to adjust their visa status (which is not legal). If you read thru the many posts in the Marriage based, you will learn much about the various options open to you- K-1, K-3 DCF, etc etc. Read all you can for a few days, and you will be better versed in the legal jungle of visas, driver's liscenses, social security caerd, advance parole, adjustment of status, employment authorisation documents...
Old May 10th 2006, 3:01 pm
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

What is most important to you? Getting married to your fiance or living in the USA?

If you just want to get married and live together, what you can do is what me (UKC) and my wife(USC) did. We got married here in the USA whilst I was on a Visa Waiver and then went to New York to get her UK immigration visa. We did check with immigration and like people have said, there are no issues with getting married on a Visa Waiver if you DO NOT have intent to stay in the USA.

For the UK visa there was no appointment needed, no waiting list. You will need proof of your ability to support your wife in the UK without recourse to public funds. I think the whole process ( from start to finish) took 45 minutes at the consulate in New York ( and this was one month after 9/11).

You can then do the US immigration visa from the UK. It might take a while but it is legal and will get you living together sooner.

Originally Posted by ironporer

Before you make any snap decision to go to the US and get married- you should go to the Marriage Based and do a search on "10 foot pole". It seems that if one goes to the USA with no preconceived plan to marry, and does- they are in quite a different legal class than those who go to the USA planning on marrying and then staying to adjust their visa status (which is not legal). If you read thru the many posts in the Marriage based, you will learn much about the various options open to you- K-1, K-3 DCF, etc etc. Read all you can for a few days, and you will be better versed in the legal jungle of visas, driver's liscenses, social security caerd, advance parole, adjustment of status, employment authorisation documents...
Old May 10th 2006, 3:08 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dan_alford
For the UK visa there was no appointment needed, no waiting list. You will need proof of your ability to support your wife in the UK without recourse to public funds. I think the whole process ( from start to finish) took 45 minutes at the consulate in New York ( and this was one month after 9/11).
You do need an appointment now. However, it took my Hubby five days, from submitting his documents, to get his visa by post.

If UK immigration is an option I would suggest looking at britainusa.com for more indepth details.
Old May 10th 2006, 3:11 pm
Slight chance of Showers

Ahh thanks for the update FlyergirlUK . Still is a damned sight quicker than US immigration, if it is an option.

Originally Posted by FlyergirlUK
You do need an appointment now. However, it took my Hubby five days, from submitting his documents, to get his visa by post.

If UK immigration is an option I would suggest looking at britainusa.com for more indepth details.
Old May 10th 2006, 3:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=bobkatz]It wasn't meant to be a pop at Elfman.

Bobkatz

If you think that was an ordeal pray that you never have to go to the USCIS offices in Newark, NJ. :scared:
Old May 10th 2006, 5:04 pm
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about
Post Re: Is it as daunting as it sounds?

Hi Everyone - Great Site You Have Here

My current position is that I am British, living in Britain - my home here is on the market and I intend to marry my American girlfriend and live in the USA.

I have been there 6 times in the last 15 months, but always on a tourist visa - would we be able to marry over there if i was there on a tourist visa? or would i need to go to the U.S Embassy here and get a fiance visa?

Another thing that we are considering is getting Married in a different country (either Malta or the Caribbean somewhere) - would this make it easier?

If we got married abroad, would i then still use the visa waiver programme to get into America - and then sort out the permanent arrangements and legalities when I get there?

I really would be grateful for ANY advice that you good folks could give me - have a great day (see, its rubbing off on me already lolol)
It depends on what visa you have. A tourist visa which lasts 10 years and is good for multiple visits will present you with no problem when you come here. I did the same thing. I obtained a U.S. Tourist Visa, visited the states and Canada a few times, then I met my wife to be on a trip to Florida.

We got married in Florida, I went home to sell up my property in the UK, which took several vists home, then simply came here and stayed. I waited 6 months before before putting in the immigration papers, but that was no problem. I got my work authorisation card a few weeks later, and have'nt looked back.

Never tell Immigration you are coming here to settle, you are merely here on vacation or visiting your girlfriend. Then put in the paper work. Its a little risky, but I never employed a lawyer, Carol and I did it all on our own.

Check the USCIS website for the forms you will need, there are about 4 or 5, with the Medical Form. You will need to put your Work Authorisation Card application and your Adjustment of Status Forms in together, with your other forms. Your wife has to fill in a form too which promises to support you during your time in the states.

Check out the USCIS site for adjustment of status cases.

Good Luck if you decide to do it this way.
Old May 10th 2006, 5:15 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kingfisher241049

Never tell Immigration you are coming here to settle, you are merely here on vacation or visiting your girlfriend. Then put in the paper work. Its a little risky, but I never employed a lawyer, Carol and I did it all on our own.

If you don't mind my saying so, your 'advice' is extremely irresponsible.

Just because you got lucky doesn't mean anyone else will be.

Why set yourself up for potential SOL if it can be avoided?

My tuppence, as they say...
Old May 10th 2006, 5:19 pm
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about

AOS cases happen every day, I never intended doing it that way, it just happened. I am just giving my own experiences as an example. The guy would obviously be advised to get a fiance visa if possible.
Old May 10th 2006, 6:41 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

We got married in Florida, I went home to sell up my property in the UK, which took several vists home, then simply came here and stayed. I waited 6 months before before putting in the immigration papers, but that was no problem. I got my work authorisation card a few weeks later, and have'nt looked back.
...I never intended doing it that way, it just happened.
But after reading your previous post that doesn't make sense - how can you just 'happen' to sell your house and then just 'happen' to come here and stay then deliberately wait 6 months to apply for AOS?

Life just 'happens', immigration is planned.
Old May 10th 2006, 6:42 pm
Account Closed

Smile Re: Is it as daunting as it sounds?

Actually thinking back, just before Carol and I got married, she called USCIS for advice on what I could do since I was already in the states, and she did'nt want me to leave.

The girl she spoke to on the USCIS customer call line just told Carol to tell me to simply stay. She gave Carol all the details about Adjustment of Status, what forms we needed, and how to complete them and send them in.

So USCIS told Carol to tell me to stay.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.