Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Daugthers of the British Empire groups in Austin, TX

Daugthers of the British Empire groups in Austin, TX

Old Dec 23rd 2010, 7:14 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Daugthers of the British Empire groups in Austin, TX

Originally Posted by lansbury
There is something in the tonic water which combats malaria. That is why G&T was such a steadfast of the Empire days. Used to drink it all the time I was in Zimbabwe and never once got malaria.
Quinine, good stuff. I also have never had malaria; all credit to the G&T.

What I did not know until just now is this wiki rumor: According to tradition, the bitter taste of anti-malarial quinine tonic led British colonials in India to mix it with gin, thus creating the gin and tonic cocktail.

Bless their hearts. I also did not know that the source is Peru and the blessed Jesuits brought the tree bark to Europe.
Boy am I glad I got up this morning.