Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Daugthers of the British Empire groups in Austin, TX

Daugthers of the British Empire groups in Austin, TX

Old Dec 23rd 2010, 1:01 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Daugthers of the British Empire groups in Austin, TX

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I'll shiw my age with what it reminded me of

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zaPnOASOWIU
bloody 'ell (old) girl, you could join the DOBE
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 1:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
bloody 'ell (old) girl, you could join the DOBE
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 1:05 am
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
doesnt look like there is one in Columbus. Probably the younger newer population.
Maybe it just died out!
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 1:17 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by traceym
Maybe it just died out!
Just like the BE (E for Empire, not for Expats, natch...)
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 2:05 am
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nettlebed
Just like the BE (E for Empire, not for Expats, natch...)
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 4:21 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nettlebed
I volunteered to help out as a bartender at a couple of events as a favor to a friend of mine, and boy, did I take the most vicious tongue lashings when the LOLs (little old ladies) decided that they actually needed significantly more G in their G&Ts than I was giving them using the standard 50ml jigger.
<sniff> That is why we prefer our bartenders to be American. Free pour, dontcha know.
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 4:30 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
<sniff> That is why we prefer our bartenders to be American. Free pour, dontcha know.
My grandmother (she died in 1979) was always convinced that the only reason she survived the climate of Egypt, India and South Africa to enjoy a long & healthy retirement on the English south coast was the copious quantity of gin & tonic she drank at home and in the Club on a daily basis.

I remember the off-license in Bexhill-on-Sea used to deliver gin to her house by the case. Those were the days!
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 4:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
My grandmother (she died in 1979) was always convinced that the only reason she survived the climate of Egypt, India and South Africa to enjoy a long & healthy retirement on the English south coast was the copious quantity of gin & tonic she drank at home and in the Club on a daily basis.

I remember the off-license in Bexhill-on-Sea used to deliver gin to her house by the case. Those were the days!
My grandmother used to keep a bottle of gin stuffed down the side of her armchair...out it would come when she thought no-one was looking. She was well into her 80's when she died.
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 4:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
My grandmother used to keep a bottle of gin stuffed down the side of her armchair...out it would come when she thought no-one was looking. She was well into her 80's when she died.
My grandmother is 95 and still going strong. She thinks its because she hasn't ever drank alcohol or smoked a cigarette. I'm trying to decide which fence to sit on, as I sit and drink my fav drink of the day, a Mule.

Edit to add: I'm not really drinking this early in the morning, but I did have them last night, and contemplating tonite....
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 4:58 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
My grandmother is 95 and still going strong. She thinks its because she hasn't ever drank alcohol or smoked a cigarette. I'm trying to decide which fence to sit on, as I sit and drink my fav drink of the day, a Mule.

Edit to add: I'm not really drinking this early in the morning, but I did have them last night, and contemplating tonite....
You know what they say about gin.. it's not just for breakfast anymore!!
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 5:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

G&T has antimalarial properties.
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 5:50 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
My impression is that the British women who join DBE are the types whose accent becomes markedly more British, more posh and more stilted with every passing year. Start out with broad Yorkshire or Cockney and end up so precious they make the Queen sound common.
I know exactly what you mean, although the lady in questions accent I imagine was slightly similar to what it is now, she's thought damn hard to keep it the way it is!
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 5:53 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Yes I think that was her excuse. I think she suspected that the Bexhill-on-Sea region of Sussex had undetected populations of anopheles mosquitoes so she kept up the G&T dosage as a precaution.
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 6:10 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
That was always my story for drinking them when I lived in the tropics.
There's always that one last night that puts you off a thing, though, isn't there?
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 7:00 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

There is something in the tonic water which combats malaria. That is why G&T was such a steadfast of the Empire days. Used to drink it all the time I was in Zimbabwe and never once got malaria.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.