Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Daugthers of the British Empire groups in Austin, TX

Daugthers of the British Empire groups in Austin, TX

Old Dec 7th 2010, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Daugthers of the British Empire groups in Austin, TX

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
My impression is that the British women who join DBE are the types whose accent becomes markedly more British, more posh and more stilted with every passing year. Start out with broad Yorkshire or Cockney and end up so precious they make the Queen sound common.
The woman I spoke with in Eureka was really nice and welcoming - it's a very close community there anyway. They do lots of charity work as well as it being a social group. Oh and I'm sure I will retain my Opp North accent :}
I see it as another way of meeting people and trying to settle down and may go someway to taking away the inevitable homesickness...will let you know after my first meeting!
Old Dec 7th 2010, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CAdreaming
The woman I spoke with in Eureka was really nice and welcoming - it's a very close community there anyway. They do lots of charity work as well as it being a social group. Oh and I'm sure I will retain my Opp North accent :}
I see it as another way of meeting people and trying to settle down and may go someway to taking away the inevitable homesickness...will let you know after my first meeting!
Good luck to you, I hope it helps with the homesickness, feeling like that sucks. Maybe you could tell them how many people wouldn't dream of joining based on the name, we had a discussion on it a few months ago! It just conjures up tweed twin sets, pearls and old dears with blue rinses running around with hockey sticks shouting Tally Ho.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 10:13 pm
Just Joined

Tamug1998 is an unknown quantity at this point

We actually had a huge bylaw re-write over the past few years and changing the name was discussed. It was decided to try stick with the name from 1909 to preserve heritage.

You are all right, we have the reputation of being for the 65+ set. But, there is a small group of us that are trying to revamp things and appeal to a younger audience. I'm 34 and I joined when I was 29. I was/am about 20 years younger than most of our members but it is still a fun group. I think each chapter is what you make it. That is why I want to start a younger group and do things that are more appealing to my age group.

We are a charity group by definition, but we do a lot of social things - at least some chapters do. And amazingly, its not just drinking tea. I went to a great dinner and stage production of Rocky Horror Picture Show in Greenville, SC that was hosted by the DBE in October. That group also hosted Prince Edward in May.

I think DBE is a great way to meet people from the Commonwealth (and yes, I have a woman from Botswana in my current chapter). Once you join you can decide what you want to do with your chapter.

Please let me know if you have any more questions. We have younger chapters springing up all over the country so there may be one in your area that is not made up of "blue hairs".
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 12:54 am
Just Joined

Hi All,

I am trying to start a new chapter of the Daughters of the British Empire in N. Austin. Check out www.DBEnational.org for more info on the organization. I am having an organizational meeting on Jan. 11th. If you are interested please send me your e-mail address and I'll add you to the Evite.

Thanks!
Lauren
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 1:09 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
That sounds like the tea I was invited to here by the DBE. Not my cup of tea at all, sitting about and repeating myself all afternoon as each asked where I was from and how did I end up here. 99% of the ladies there were over 75 and many had never even visited the UK. Yet they delighted in telling me and MIL (who sat through it with me) how to make a proper cup of tea and raved about the mediocre scones being served.
We have something like that called the English-Speaking Union here in Seattle: I've not bothered to find out whether it is nationwide or not, but in Seattle it is crammed with the most fearful snobs (mainly Brits, mainly women, and mainly pre-WW II) and toadies (mainly Americans who would love to be able to trace their ancestry back to the Mayflower, but whose ancestors probably came through Ellis Island or Angel Island.)

I volunteered to help out as a bartender at a couple of events as a favor to a friend of mine, and boy, did I take the most vicious tongue lashings when the LOLs (little old ladies) decided that they actually needed significantly more G in their G&Ts than I was giving them using the standard 50ml jigger.

Those events were really terrible, and left me with significant disdain for the sort of people who behave like that...
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nettlebed
We have something like that called the English-Speaking Union here in Seattle: I've not bothered to find out whether it is nationwide or not, but in Seattle it is crammed with the most fearful snobs (mainly Brits, mainly women, and mainly pre-WW II) and toadies (mainly Americans who would love to be able to trace their ancestry back to the Mayflower, but whose ancestors probably came through Ellis Island or Angel Island.)

I volunteered to help out as a bartender at a couple of events as a favor to a friend of mine, and boy, did I take the most vicious tongue lashings when the LOLs (little old ladies) decided that they actually needed significantly more G in their G&Ts than I was giving them using the standard 50ml jigger.

Those events were really terrible, and left me with significant disdain for the sort of people who behave like that...
Strangely enough based on this thread I checked out the web site where there are pictures of the local 'chapter', a picture is worth a thousand words, enough said!
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 3:45 pm
Just Joined

I'm sorry you have both had bad experiences. DBE in Texas at least is really fun and inviting.

Alot of our members are not web savy so who knows how old the pictures are that you saw. DBE is really trying to change and invite new members so if you are interested it might be worth going to a meeting before judging....
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 10:28 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tamug1998
I'm sorry you have both had bad experiences. DBE in Texas at least is really fun and inviting.

Alot of our members are not web savy so who knows how old the pictures are that you saw. DBE is really trying to change and invite new members so if you are interested it might be worth going to a meeting before judging....
I think that a lot of the members are not web savvy backs up what TraceyM is trying to say
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 12:12 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tamug1998

There's a BE member who lives in NYC who is a member. Through DOBE she goes to a lot of film premiers etc. Haven't seen her posting for a couple of years though.
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 12:44 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
There's a BE member who lives in NYC who is a member. Through DOBE she goes to a lot of film premiers etc. Haven't seen her posting for a couple of years though.
Seeing the initials DOBE makes me think it stands for Date of Birth, Elderly.
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 12:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by N1cky
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 12:48 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Makes me think that Harry Potter must not go back to Hogwarts, sir!!
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 12:52 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

doesnt look like there is one in Columbus. Probably the younger newer population.
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 12:53 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Reminds me of my Doberman...she was called Doby.
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 1:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl

Reminds me of my Doberman...she was called Doby.
I'll show my age with what it reminded me of

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.