Reload this Page >

Daugthers of the British Empire groups in Austin, TX

Daugthers of the British Empire groups in Austin, TX

Old Dec 5th 2010, 2:49 pm
Just Joined

Tamug1998 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Daugthers of the British Empire groups in Austin, TX

Hi,

I am trying to start a new group of the Daughters of the British Empire in Austin, TX for women in their 40s and Under. If you are not in that age bracket, I can happily refer you to the two existing chapters that cater to an older age group. Also, if you are not in Austin, but are interested we have chapters all over the US and I can get you in touch with a chapter in your area.

DBE is a social and charity group started in 1909 by British Expats. To join you must be either 1. from a Commonwealth country 2. married to someone from a Commonwealth country or 3. able to trace your heritage to a Commonwealth country.

I'm looking to meet in N. Austin for dinner once a month to start the group with the intial meeting hopefully happening in January. Please let me know if you are interested and how you qualify and I'll add your e-mail address to the Evite for the first meeting.

Thanks!!
Lauren
Old Dec 5th 2010, 3:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Daugthers of the British Empire groups in Austin, TX

Originally Posted by Tamug1998 View Post
Hi,

I am trying to start a new group of the Daughters of the British Empire in Austin, TX for women in their 40s and Under. If you are not in that age bracket, I can happily refer you to the two existing chapters that cater to an older age group. Also, if you are not in Austin, but are interested we have chapters all over the US and I can get you in touch with a chapter in your area.

DBE is a social and charity group started in 1909 by British Expats. To join you must be either 1. from a Commonwealth country 2. married to someone from a Commonwealth country or 3. able to trace your heritage to a Commonwealth country.

I'm looking to meet in N. Austin for dinner once a month to start the group with the intial meeting hopefully happening in January. Please let me know if you are interested and how you qualify and I'll add your e-mail address to the Evite for the first meeting.

Thanks!!
Lauren
hi
I have contacted the DOBE in Eureka CA - very friendly tho only 13 members but will be a help when I finally arrive
Old Dec 6th 2010, 2:07 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not a spelling nazi, really I'm not....I'm just trying to save you a penny or two....use a spellchecker before you get your letterheads, flags, banners etc printed
Old Dec 6th 2010, 5:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad View Post
I'm not a spelling nazi, really I'm not....I'm just trying to save you a penny or two....use a spellchecker before you get your letterheads, flags, banners etc printed
?
Old Dec 6th 2010, 5:22 pm
Just Joined

CAdreaming - I managed to misspell "Daughters" transposing the "h" and "t" so Yorkieabroad thought he/she would point out my mistake rather than reading/responding to the post.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 5:24 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

My post was genuinely trying to be helpful. If it wasn't taken that way - sorry.

I did read the post because I didn't know what DOBE was - but now I do know and I don't qualify for it.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 5:31 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

There are several groups around Portland. Our local one had an English tea and cake afternoon plus food sale the other weekend. I now have home made Christmas Pud ready for the up coming festivities.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 5:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tamug1998 View Post
CAdreaming - I managed to misspell "Daughters" transposing the "h" and "t" so Yorkieabroad thought he/she would point out my mistake rather than reading/responding to the post.
Good luck with your group Lauren!
Old Dec 6th 2010, 5:42 pm
Just Joined

Yorkieabroad - Thank you for being helpful. We have several groups around Houston so its too bad you don't qualify. We love having new members.

lansbury - I know Portland does have several active chapters. If you are interested in joining I could get you in touch with the right people in Oregon. Just let me know.

CAdreaming - thanks for the well wishes!
Old Dec 6th 2010, 5:53 pm
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say, I thought it was a joke, but the "Daugthers of the British Empire" really exists. I am curious about the make up of the group, like how many members are from or connected with Botswana, Kenya, Mozambique or the Cameroon. I just do not imagine people from many such eligible countries being enticed to join a group with such a name.

I am sure the group does much good work, but such an odd name.

Edit: I am trying to imagine the current first lady, Michelle Obama, and her response if/when she received an invitation.

Last edited by kimilseung; Dec 6th 2010 at 6:53 pm.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 7:44 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad View Post
.... also need to double check not to put a 't' instead of 'g' when ending with Regards....

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
I have to say, I thought it was a joke, but the "Daugthers of the British Empire" really exists..
Moi aussi; learn something new everyday!
My mum never bothered to join daughters of the revolution and other societies and sorts... her side of the family came over circa 1650.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 1:08 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Daugthers of the British Empire groups in Austin, TX

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post

I am sure the group does much good work, but such an odd name.

Yes, it is rather unfortunate. It sounds like a club for old ladies.

There is a DBE group in a neighbouring town to where I live in New Jersey. I knew another British expat who went along to one of their 'teas' and said it was full of (well-to-do) geriatrics - most of whom were Americans anyway.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 1:10 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Daugthers of the British Empire groups in Austin, TX

Actually - for any Brits who need to look for a retirement or nursing home and intend to stay in the US until they kick the bucket....here are four homes operated by the 'Daughters of the British Empire'....

http://www.dbesociety.org/homes.htm
Old Dec 7th 2010, 8:21 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum View Post
Yes, it is rather unfortunate. It sounds like a club for old ladies.

There is a DBE group in a neighbouring town to where I live in New Jersey. I knew another British expat who went along to one of their 'teas' and said it was full of (well-to-do) geriatrics - most of whom were Americans anyway.
That sounds like the tea I was invited to here by the DBE. Not my cup of tea at all, sitting about and repeating myself all afternoon as each asked where I was from and how did I end up here. 99% of the ladies there were over 75 and many had never even visited the UK. Yet they delighted in telling me and MIL (who sat through it with me) how to make a proper cup of tea and raved about the mediocre scones being served.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 9:27 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

My impression is that the British women who join DBE are the types whose accent becomes markedly more British, more posh and more stilted with every passing year. Start out with broad Yorkshire or Cockney and end up so precious they make the Queen sound common.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.