British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Daugthers of the British Empire groups in Austin, TX (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/daugthers-british-empire-groups-austin-tx-695890/)

Tamug1998 Dec 5th 2010 2:49 pm

Daugthers of the British Empire groups in Austin, TX

Hi,

I am trying to start a new group of the Daughters of the British Empire in Austin, TX for women in their 40s and Under. If you are not in that age bracket, I can happily refer you to the two existing chapters that cater to an older age group. Also, if you are not in Austin, but are interested we have chapters all over the US and I can get you in touch with a chapter in your area.

DBE is a social and charity group started in 1909 by British Expats. To join you must be either 1. from a Commonwealth country 2. married to someone from a Commonwealth country or 3. able to trace your heritage to a Commonwealth country.

I'm looking to meet in N. Austin for dinner once a month to start the group with the intial meeting hopefully happening in January. Please let me know if you are interested and how you qualify and I'll add your e-mail address to the Evite for the first meeting.

Thanks!!
Lauren

CAdreaming Dec 5th 2010 3:24 pm

Re: Daugthers of the British Empire groups in Austin, TX

Originally Posted by Tamug1998 (Post 9022466)
Hi,

I am trying to start a new group of the Daughters of the British Empire in Austin, TX for women in their 40s and Under. If you are not in that age bracket, I can happily refer you to the two existing chapters that cater to an older age group. Also, if you are not in Austin, but are interested we have chapters all over the US and I can get you in touch with a chapter in your area.

DBE is a social and charity group started in 1909 by British Expats. To join you must be either 1. from a Commonwealth country 2. married to someone from a Commonwealth country or 3. able to trace your heritage to a Commonwealth country.

I'm looking to meet in N. Austin for dinner once a month to start the group with the intial meeting hopefully happening in January. Please let me know if you are interested and how you qualify and I'll add your e-mail address to the Evite for the first meeting.

Thanks!!
Lauren

hi
I have contacted the DOBE in Eureka CA - very friendly tho only 13 members but will be a help when I finally arrive

Yorkieabroad Dec 6th 2010 2:07 am

I'm not a spelling nazi, really I'm not....I'm just trying to save you a penny or two....use a spellchecker before you get your letterheads, flags, banners etc printed:D

CAdreaming Dec 6th 2010 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad (Post 9023274)
I'm not a spelling nazi, really I'm not....I'm just trying to save you a penny or two....use a spellchecker before you get your letterheads, flags, banners etc printed:D

?

Tamug1998 Dec 6th 2010 5:22 pm

CAdreaming - I managed to misspell "Daughters" transposing the "h" and "t" so Yorkieabroad thought he/she would point out my mistake rather than reading/responding to the post.

Yorkieabroad Dec 6th 2010 5:24 pm

My post was genuinely trying to be helpful. If it wasn't taken that way - sorry.

I did read the post because I didn't know what DOBE was - but now I do know and I don't qualify for it.

lansbury Dec 6th 2010 5:31 pm

There are several groups around Portland. Our local one had an English tea and cake afternoon plus food sale the other weekend. I now have home made Christmas Pud ready for the up coming festivities.

CAdreaming Dec 6th 2010 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by Tamug1998 (Post 9024538)
CAdreaming - I managed to misspell "Daughters" transposing the "h" and "t" so Yorkieabroad thought he/she would point out my mistake rather than reading/responding to the post.

Good luck with your group Lauren!

Tamug1998 Dec 6th 2010 5:42 pm

Yorkieabroad - Thank you for being helpful. :o We have several groups around Houston so its too bad you don't qualify. We love having new members. :)

lansbury - I know Portland does have several active chapters. If you are interested in joining I could get you in touch with the right people in Oregon. Just let me know.

CAdreaming - thanks for the well wishes!

kimilseung Dec 6th 2010 5:53 pm

I have to say, I thought it was a joke, but the "Daugthers of the British Empire" really exists. I am curious about the make up of the group, like how many members are from or connected with Botswana, Kenya, Mozambique or the Cameroon. I just do not imagine people from many such eligible countries being enticed to join a group with such a name.

I am sure the group does much good work, but such an odd name.

Edit: I am trying to imagine the current first lady, Michelle Obama, and her response if/when she received an invitation.

Tarkak9 Dec 6th 2010 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad (Post 9023274)

.... also need to double check not to put a 't' instead of 'g' when ending with Regards....

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 9024581)
I have to say, I thought it was a joke, but the "Daugthers of the British Empire" really exists..

Moi aussi; learn something new everyday!
My mum never bothered to join daughters of the revolution and other societies and sorts... her side of the family came over circa 1650.

Englishmum Dec 7th 2010 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 9024581)

I am sure the group does much good work, but such an odd name.

Yes, it is rather unfortunate. It sounds like a club for old ladies. :unsure:

There is a DBE group in a neighbouring town to where I live in New Jersey. I knew another British expat who went along to one of their 'teas' and said it was full of (well-to-do) geriatrics - most of whom were Americans anyway. :blink:

Englishmum Dec 7th 2010 1:10 pm

Actually - for any Brits who need to look for a retirement or nursing home and intend to stay in the US until they kick the bucket....here are four homes operated by the 'Daughters of the British Empire'....;)

http://www.dbesociety.org/homes.htm

Mummy in the foothills Dec 7th 2010 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by Englishmum (Post 9026267)
Yes, it is rather unfortunate. It sounds like a club for old ladies. :unsure:

There is a DBE group in a neighbouring town to where I live in New Jersey. I knew another British expat who went along to one of their 'teas' and said it was full of (well-to-do) geriatrics - most of whom were Americans anyway. :blink:

That sounds like the tea I was invited to here by the DBE. Not my cup of tea at all, sitting about and repeating myself all afternoon as each asked where I was from and how did I end up here. 99% of the ladies there were over 75 and many had never even visited the UK. Yet they delighted in telling me and MIL (who sat through it with me) how to make a proper cup of tea :lol:and raved about the mediocre scones being served.

paddingtongreen Dec 7th 2010 9:27 pm

My impression is that the British women who join DBE are the types whose accent becomes markedly more British, more posh and more stilted with every passing year. Start out with broad Yorkshire or Cockney and end up so precious they make the Queen sound common.