Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Daughters first UK passport

Daughters first UK passport

Old Apr 19th 2012, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

whatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of light
Default Daughters first UK passport

DD was born in Texas last June.
I want to get her her first UK passport.

with regards to the counter signature can it be signed by her doctor?

I think this is the form the fill in 'Smart form'

http://centralcontent.fco.gov.uk/res...smart-form.pdf
Old Apr 19th 2012, 6:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

shorrock is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Daughters first UK passport

Originally Posted by whatadiva
DD was born in Texas last June.
I want to get her her first UK passport.

with regards to the counter signature can it be signed by her doctor?
Yes. That is what we did when we got our daughter her passport when she was 3 weeks old. No issues
Old Apr 20th 2012, 1:15 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone of "standing" can sign it. They don't need to put their passport number on the form unless they are UK citizens.
Old Apr 20th 2012, 10:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Remember that US citizens are legally required to use a US passport when leaving/entering the US. So if you're taking your daughter outside the country, she'll need to have a US passport as well.
Old Apr 20th 2012, 11:57 pm
Forum Regular

laety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud of

so when you have a UK passport and your child has a US one, can you all go to the US entry line when you arrive back in the country? or do you still have to go to the mile long queues??
Old Apr 20th 2012, 11:59 pm
Forum Regular

oxonlad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by laety
so when you have a UK passport and your child has a US one, can you all go to the US entry line when you arrive back in the country? or do you still have to go to the mile long queues??
Depends if they have the stamps in both queues. Otherwise, you'd have to go over to the non-EU line.
Old Apr 21st 2012, 7:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moadikum
Depends if they have the stamps in both queues. Otherwise, you'd have to go over to the non-EU line.
Last year my youngest daughter, then 4, (using US passport) and me (using UK passport) flew back to the UK, for a holiday/visit, into Newcastle airport. I had her stand in the EU line with me and we were told that because of her passport we had to get into the non EU line. I was also questioned more than I have ever been before, remembering I have a UK passport, I was asked where I was travelling from, did I reside here, did I have return tickets, did I have family ties in the US, was I employed in the US, in all the times I have visited over the last 9 years I have not been question going back into the UK.

On that trip I stayed for 2 weeks, then 2 weeks after I left the UK my dad passed away somewhat suddenly so I had to return, my daughter came through the EU line with me no questions asked, my hubby and oldest daughter both went through the non EU line. I guess it depends on who is working the desk on any given day.
Old Apr 25th 2012, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

laety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud of

I really hate those inconsistencies at the passport control..

Also I found the US particularly bad as the agents are often very abrupt and somehow acting like they are allmighty..
the other day my husband had a very early morning/late eve flight, gave his passport to the agent who did not remove the I94
on his way back the agent told him off and told him its his responsability to have this removed. he tried to tell him that he was tired and did not realise but the agent refused to listen.
another agent kept saying, its ok just take the I94 and tell him not to do it again... but the guy refused and made him complete a form and have it returned by post with proof of him leaving the country (surely him coming back was proof enough)