British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Daughter wanting to work in the US as a Physical Therapist (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/daughter-wanting-work-us-physical-therapist-591663/)

2confusedparents Feb 15th 2009 8:00 pm

Daughter wanting to work in the US as a Physical Therapist

Hi, just wonder if anyone can help us.

Our daughter is just about to graduate with a BSc Degree in Physiotherapy in the UK but really wants to go and work in the USA. She already knows she needs to take an examination in the States and then register with whichever State she choses to work in but as anxious parents (OK I know we shouldn't be) but credit crunch and all we just don't want her to make an expensive mistake.

So my question is - if she passes the exam in the states, if there are plenty of jobs that would offer mentoring/sponsorship what is her next step.

What sort of expenses will she incur and what type of Visa would she have to apply for - I take it she can come in for 3 months on a visitor visa to take the exam and look for a job but then what???

After a 3 month visitor visa expires does she have to leave the US for 3 months then??

Confused and thanks for any help - please don't say "let her sort it out herself" - know she probably has it all in hand - I just don't want to ask her whilst she in middle of finals but keen to know the best route.

Manc Feb 15th 2009 8:08 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; Smartphone; 176x220))

she doesn't apply for a visa.

the company sponsoring her does.

Muswell Hill Feb 15th 2009 8:35 pm

Re: Daughter wanting to work in the US as a Physical Therapist

Originally Posted by 2confusedparents (Post 7288094)

Our daughter is just about to graduate with a BSc Degree in Physiotherapy in the UK but really wants to go and work in the USA. She already knows she needs to take an examination in the States and then register with whichever State she choses to work in but as anxious parents (OK I know we shouldn't be) but credit crunch and all we just don't want her to make an expensive mistake.

So my question is - if she passes the exam in the states, if there are plenty of jobs that would offer mentoring/sponsorship what is her next step.

What sort of expenses will she incur and what type of Visa would she have to apply for - I take it she can come in for 3 months on a visitor visa to take the exam and look for a job but then what???

After a 3 month visitor visa expires does she have to leave the US for 3 months then??

Confused and thanks for any help - please don't say "let her sort it out herself" - know she probably has it all in hand - I just don't want to ask her whilst she in middle of finals but keen to know the best route.

She should contact the state board of physical therapy in the state shew wants to practice in. States have different rules on accepting foreign qualifications. The first step would be to look there. There are lots of PT grads in the USA right now and nearly all degree courses award a Doctoral degree, the DPT. To compete in the USA she would need a Masters to make her stand out at the very least.
Why the USA anyway? It would be so much easier for her to go to Oz/NZ.

Best of luck anyways...

Dogbyte Feb 15th 2009 8:38 pm

Take a look at nursing agencies such as O Grady Peyton, Adevia but to name two as they can assist re your daughters occupation.
On OGP site look bottom right hand corner re Phy T's etc. Just to give ideas and info.:)

crg Feb 15th 2009 8:48 pm

Certain foreign health care workers, including physical therapists, need an additional certification. The state license by itself isn't sufficient to get the work visa. You may want to check into this as well.

http://www.cgfns.org/sections/programs/vs/

http://www.cgfns.org/sections/tools/faq/imm.shtml#4

"What is the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act (IIRIRA), and how does that affect me (as a foreign-educated health care professional)?

Section 343 of the IIRIRA requires that certain health care professionals educated outside of the United States satisfy a screening program prior to receiving a temporary or permanent occupational visa (including H-1B, H-2B, TN and permanent resident alien visas). The screening includes an assessment of an applicant’s foreign education to ensure that it is comparable to that of a U.S. graduate in the same profession; verification that the applicant’s licenses are valid and unencumbered; determination of English language proficiency; and, in the case of registered nurses, verification that the nurse has either passed the CGFNS Qualifying ExamSM or passed the NCLEX-RN® examination."

augigi Feb 15th 2009 9:23 pm

I'd stay away from OGP if I were you - they have astronomical cancellation fees, if something happens and you can't finish your contract (including an accident etc). Think ~ $40K.

DPT is the entry level for physios here. I am not sure you could do much with just a bachelor degree.

LJwedding09 Feb 16th 2009 3:42 am

Originally Posted by 2confusedparents (Post 7288094)

I just spoke to my wife who is doing her masters in Occupational Therapy and knows alot of Physical Therapists as a result. As rightly mentioned above by Muswell Hill each state has different requirements to practice. Muswell is also correct in that a newly minted physical theapist now gradutes with a DPT which is around Docorate level. She mentioned that as a new qualified therapist needs this just to practice, anything less is not taken anymore. I do not know however, how the UK qualifcation would match up - but it would appear in my limited knowledge of the differences between the UK and USA in these fields abit more schooling would be required although research into it may prove me wrong!

James

Duncan Roberts Feb 16th 2009 4:19 pm

It isn't going to happen any time soon, maybe a 10 year goal at best. My mum is a physio manager with years of clinical and managerial experience and just for fun looked into what she would need and it was essentially re-training. Sorry to burst the bubble but there is not a chance she can graduate and then immediately find a job here, take a test and then get a visa. Even US graduates have a tough time. On her own merits it will be a very long haul and very tough if not impossible, if she married an American and got here via that simple route, it would still be very costly and long to actually get a physio job.

Ray Feb 16th 2009 5:04 pm

Only two occupations are explicitly listed on Schedule A:
Professional nurses; and Physical therapists.

Unfortunately schedule A is currently not available

Physical therapists are generally eligible for an H-1B visa