British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Dates of Green Card (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/dates-green-card-163012/)

g1ant Jul 1st 2003 9:03 am

Dates on Green Card

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can answer this one.

I understand that the date that you became a permanent resident is printed on your Green Card .

The INS site says "Your time as a Permanent Resident begins on the date you were granted permanent resident status. "

Is this the date you got your visa at the London Embassy if going through I-130 route or is it the date you actually hit the US the first time to use the immirant visa?

The reason I want to know is that if you don't use your visa for six months does that time come off the 3 year wait for naturalization, or does the 3 years start when you land in the US.

Cheers
Alex.

NC Penguin Jul 1st 2003 1:02 pm

Re: Dates on Green Card

Originally posted by g1ant
Hi,

I understand that the date that you became a permanent resident is printed on your Green Card .

The INS site says "Your time as a Permanent Resident begins on the date you were granted permanent resident status. "

Is this the date you got your visa at the London Embassy if going through I-130 route or is it the date you actually hit the US the first time to use the immirant visa?

The reason I want to know is that if you don't use your visa for six months does that time come off the 3 year wait for naturalization, or does the 3 years start when you land in the US.

Cheers
Alex.
This is not really the appropriate newsgroup. Please repost in either:
US Immigration
or
US Visas

Otherwise, please consult the US government site for visas. That'd be "straight from the horses mouth".

NC Penguin

Patrick Jul 1st 2003 1:39 pm

Everything starts the date you enter the country and activate your visa. You still have the option to abandon your visa before moving to the country so the clock for everything starts ticking the day you arrive in the USA.

If you got your visa in Feb and just landed today your 3 years (minus 90 days) starts today and not from Feb.

Patrick

Hi,

Cheers
Alex.

g1ant Jul 1st 2003 4:16 pm

Originally posted by Patrick
Everything starts the date you enter the country and activate your visa. You still have the option to abandon your visa before moving to the country so the clock for everything starts ticking the day you arrive in the USA.

If you got your visa in Feb and just landed today your 3 years (minus 90 days) starts today and not from Feb.

Patrick
Thanks for the information Patrick. That is exactly what I wanted to know.

Thanks you taking the time and trouble to reply, I know that it would have been much easier for you just to tell me to piss off and ask somewhere else.
:)

Alex.

Ray Jul 1st 2003 6:55 pm

Thanks for the information Patrick. That is exactly what I wanted to know.

Thanks you taking the time and trouble to reply, I know that it would have been much easier for you just to tell me to piss off and ask somewhere else.
:)

Alex.
He has obviously read a lot of Patricks posting....Is this the new nice Patrick, I do hope not...

Patrick Jul 2nd 2003 3:21 am

Originally posted by ray6
He has obviously read a lot of Patricks posting....Is this the new nice Patrick, I do hope not...
When I can advise people, I do, when I can abuse Ranjini, I do, when I can be rude and annoying, I do, when I can show myself up in restaurants, Ido.

I have some advise for you now Ray and it involves a large object and your ass.

Patrick

waxwabbit Jul 2nd 2003 2:24 pm

You are not bragging about your member again are you Patrick?

Originally posted by Patrick
When I can advise people, I do, when I can abuse Ranjini, I do, when I can be rude and annoying, I do, when I can show myself up in restaurants, Ido.

I have some advise for you now Ray and it involves a large object and your ass.

Patrick