Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

A date which will live in infamy ....

A date which will live in infamy ....

Old Dec 7th 2007, 11:28 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A date which will live in infamy ....

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Well, Leslie -- in reading history the British were relieved that the US would finally join the war effort in earnest. That's not to say they weren't sorry about the deaths, but I'll bet more people died in the Blitz. I'll have to check that, but...

yeah, deaths at Pearl Harbour about 3,000, blitz, 43,000.
I can't imagine the Brits would compare Peal Harbor to the Blitz. The Blitz was an ongoing campaign lasting for months and months, changed a landscape, changed a country and killed thousands of more people than Pearl Harbor. Pearl Harbor was something that happened in just a few hours in a very specific and isolated area. Two totally different scenarios the only common strand is that they happened during the same war.

I was thinking more along the lines that Brits might still be pissed off that it took Pearl Harbor to actually get the US into the war effort but apparently (from the results of this thread anyway) nobody gives a turd any more.
Old Dec 7th 2007, 11:29 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I heard it was the Brits who intercepted the transmission?
So did I and Churchill kept schtum until the last minute tio bring them into the war.
Old Dec 7th 2007, 11:34 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

I heard Roosevelt and Churchill were in on it together.
Old Dec 7th 2007, 11:34 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by snowbunny
That's not to say they weren't sorry about the deaths, but I'll bet more people died in the Blitz. I'll have to check that, but....
Only about 20 times more in the Blitz, thats all.
Old Dec 7th 2007, 11:37 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

lots of stuff here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearl_H...owledge_debate
Old Dec 7th 2007, 11:38 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart
There's speculation that the US knew the Japanese intended to attack via intelligence sources and ignored the warning, as they wanted to get involved in the war. I don't know how reliable that info. is ?
Originally Posted by KJ2007
every event in history has a conspiracy theory of some sort
There's always a conspiracy it seems after a large history changing event has occurred. Such with the MLK and Kennedy assassinations. As well as 9/11. Some would say that this conspiracy theory was developed to relive the guilt that the Japanese may have had over the strike at Pearl Harbor. Others would say, like Lord Lionheart stated, that this was a way for FDR to get into a war. A move that was contradictory with his isolationist stance. Delaying response would have given him reason to reply in a way that was in keeping with a speech he gave earlier about not involving the US in a war without bearing the first strike. As I type this, this seems eerily parallel to whats happening today. The only thing that's no parallel is the comparison between FDR and Bush. Apples and oranges.
Old Dec 7th 2007, 11:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman
Only about 20 times more in the Blitz, thats all.
This is not a contest of who can produce more dead.
Old Dec 7th 2007, 11:48 pm
Account Closed

This is not a contest of who can produce more dead.
Then why dont you tell that to the poster who raised the blitz question instead of the person that was kind enough to answer it.
Old Dec 7th 2007, 11:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
I was thinking more along the lines that Brits might still be pissed off that it took Pearl Harbor to actually get the US into the war effort but apparently (from the results of this thread anyway) nobody gives a turd any more.
Pearl Harbor Day isn't a day to be pissed off about the US entering the war late IMO, it's a day of remembrance. Every other day can be about people being pissed at the US.

Someone's always pissed at us for something afterall.
Old Dec 7th 2007, 11:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Then why dont you tell that to the poster who raised the blitz question instead of the person that was kind enough to answer it.
Alright Snowbunny - what he said. Not a contest.
Old Dec 7th 2007, 11:53 pm
Account Closed

No, I think the reason Brits dont feel as strongly about Pearl harbour is because ...we're Brits. It didnt happen to us so although abhorrant to us, we were not directly or emotionally affected as much as USC's so therefore it is not held in as much reverence to us.
Old Dec 7th 2007, 11:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No, I think the reason Brits dont feel as strongly about Pearl harbour is because ...we're Brits. It didnt happen to us so although abhorrant to us, we were not directly or emotionally affected as much as USC's so therefore it is not held in as much reverence to us.
That's a fair and well-reasoned response.
Old Dec 7th 2007, 11:58 pm
WTF?

Pearl Harbor Day isn't a day to be pissed off about the US entering the war late IMO, it's a day of remembrance. Every other day can be about people being pissed at the US.

Someone's always pissed at us for something afterall.
It's a little more complex than that and from a British point of view I actually think they had good reason to be pissed.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 12:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It's a little more complex than that and from a British point of view I actually think they had good reason to be pissed.
I'm not saying that the Europeans don't have a right to be angry that the US didn't come to their aid earlier. I'm not saying that all.

But bitching about that on a day when thousands lost their life in a surprise attack would seem disrespectful to me ... a bit like spitting on their graves on the aniversary of a tragedy. The men that died that day didn't make the decision to not come to the aid of the Brits, French, etc.

And though late, the Americans DID come to the aid of the allies. Sometimes it seems like this important fact is overlooked. Many lost their lives. It was the government's decision not to intervene earlier ... not that of the guys who were fighting. I realize I'm stating the obvious ... but sometimes the obvious seems to be forgotten.

Enough of that - no need to resurrect the 'my Dad is better than your Dad' WWII thread. I understand what you're saying and hopefully you get where I'm coming from too.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 12:10 am
Account Closed

I'm not saying that the Europeans don't have a right to be angry that the US didn't come to their aid earlier. I'm not saying that all.

But bitching about that on a day when thousands lost their life in a surprise attack would seem disrespectful to me ... a bit like spitting on their graves on the aniversary of a tragedy. The men that died that day didn't make the decision to not come to the aid of the Brits, French, etc.

And though late, the Americans DID come to the aid of the allies. Sometimes it seems like this important fact is overlooked. Many lost their lives. It was the government's decision not to intervene earlier ... not that of the guys who were fighting. I realize I'm stating the obvious ... but sometimes the obvious seems to be forgotten.

Enough of that - no need to resurrect the 'my Dad is better than your Dad' WWII thread. I understand what you're saying and hopefully you get where I'm coming from too.
I havent actually read through this thread but who was the Brit that disrespected US deaths at Pearl by playing mentioning the US never entered the conflict prior or mentioned the Blitz death toll?

EDIT: Now i have just had a quick gander through the thread and cant see any British member of expats soiling the memories of the US servicemen that died at Pearl so perhaps you'd show me were any brit was "bitching" about losing more lives in the blitz than Pearl in this thread.

Last edited by Rushman; Dec 8th 2007 at 12:15 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.