Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dashboard GPS

Dashboard GPS

Old Dec 28th 2009, 2:43 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dashboard GPS

Does anyone have a Magellan Roadmate 1475T?

Got one from my parents for Christmas and I can't for the life of me figure out how to display the elapsed time and average speed per trip.

I do, however, now know the elevation above sea level of every mile of my commute.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 3:28 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dashboard GPS

We got Tomtom for my son for Christmas, so far he's found his way home from a friends house, He has to re read the booklet to get abit more out of the thing. Good luck I couldn't make head or tale out of the thing. I'll stick to google map and directions.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 3:40 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills

We got Tomtom for my son for Christmas, so far he's found his way home from a friends house, He has to re read the booklet to get abit more out of the thing. Good luck I couldn't make head or tale out of the thing. I'll stick to google map and directions.
So far, ours has misdirected us to my inlaw's church, a chinese restaurant and a Barnes and Noble. According to it, the B&N didn't exist, the Chinese was down the road about a mile from it's actual location, and the church was across the road. We were on the road, looking at the church on our left, the thing was telling us to make a right. In fairness, it was dead on all the way across the state, just screwed up on the very last turn.

All of these, I knew where the place was anyway, and just punched it into the GPS for grins. But just from these little experiments I'm not sure I could trust the thing 100% to get me where I'm going.

Which is why I'd at least like to know how fast I got there. If it can't tell me that much then...
Old Dec 28th 2009, 3:41 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

can you find a manual on their website? There's got to a be a pdf manual somewhere.

I caved and bought a garmin during the summer.. great things but it means its the end of being able to read a map, just like digital watches and analog watches!!
Old Dec 28th 2009, 4:06 pm
Unmitigated Gall

Originally Posted by Tarkak9
can you find a manual on their website? There's got to a be a pdf manual somewhere.

I caved and bought a garmin during the summer.. great things but it means its the end of being able to read a map, just like digital watches and analog watches!!
And shoes with laces...

I read through the (paper) book that came with it, checked the website FAQs for info (and map updates but there weren't any, there was a software update, but I need to check which version I have) and the pdf. manual but couldn't find anything discussing this feature. Maybe it just doesn't do that. It seems like such a simple thing, the unit already knows the info it would need to calculate it.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

We used a Magellan in a hire car a few years ago and it told us to turn about 2 streets from where we should have made the turn. Bummer.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 4:52 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joto
We used a Magellan in a hire car a few years ago and it told us to turn about 2 streets from where we should have made the turn. Bummer.
Our TomTom tried to kill us by directing me to drive off a cliff whilst driving through the Rockies earlier this year. It may have been retaliation for all the farting in the car.

I knew I shouldn't have let Mrs tonrob have that burrito...
Old Dec 28th 2009, 5:03 pm
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob

I knew I shouldn't have let Mrs tonrob have that burrito...
Burrito or Sprouts????

We have a handheld Magellan, I hate the Bloody thing, hubby has spent hours shouting at it, most notibly outside San Francisco airport!! (OMG embarrasing)... however it is good for hiking in the woods...

In the end we also brought a garmin dashboard one for the car - even I can use that!!!
Old Dec 28th 2009, 5:05 pm
Unmitigated Gall

Originally Posted by Burn1911
Burrito or Sprouts????

We have a handheld Magellan, I hate the Bloody thing, hubby has spent hours shouting at it, most notibly outside San Francisco airport!! (OMG embarrasing)... however it is good for hiking in the woods...

In the end we also brought a garmin dashboard one for the car - even I can use that!!!
That's the kind I wanted...
Old Dec 28th 2009, 5:11 pm
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
That's the kind I wanted...
awwww - not to rub salt in the wound, but the other cool thing about this one is when you download a hike into your computer it puts it into a 3D model!! so you can see your route up and over the hills etc.... Hubby gets especially excited about this!

However it is bright orange, so a bit nerdy!!
Old Dec 28th 2009, 5:11 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I used Joyceees Garmin ... I did try to fool it ... but it met the challenge

And the BIL got one ... just to use as a Speedo ... cheaper than the $1000 that GMC wanted
to repair his
Old Dec 28th 2009, 5:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

My Tom Tom is just the dog's dick for my job.

Jim
Old Dec 28th 2009, 6:02 pm
Banned

Desdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond repute

Ours works just fine except on one occassion in Tacoma, WA when we were trying to get to the narrows bridge. The route it wanted us to take took us to a road that was closed. It stubbornly refused to recalculate the route and we had to stop and ask for directions the old-fashioned way
Old Dec 28th 2009, 9:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud of

I've had TomTom on PDAs since 2004, had a TomTom One since 2006 and got the wife her own TomTom XL for Christmas this year. I recently ventured into unknown territory and got a Navigon 2100max, just for poops and grins, but gave up on it and installed TomTom on it, too.

Of all the other sat nav solutions I've tested, and I've tested way too many, going back all the way to Mapopolis, LOL, on various platforms, TomTom has proven itself to be the best in GUI intuitiveness and delivering reasonable directions reliably. Also, their maps are the best organized (going way back to when the competition forced you to download and organize your maps by freaking county for instance). Admittedly, navigating to POI (points of interests like churches or restaurants) is a game of chance at best. But that seems to be the nature of the beast.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 10:56 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

So far, ours has misdirected us to my inlaw's church, a chinese restaurant and a Barnes and Noble. According to it, the B&N didn't exist, the Chinese was down the road about a mile from it's actual location, and the church was across the road. We were on the road, looking at the church on our left, the thing was telling us to make a right. In fairness, it was dead on all the way across the state, just screwed up on the very last turn.

All of these, I knew where the place was anyway, and just punched it into the GPS for grins. But just from these little experiments I'm not sure I could trust the thing 100% to get me where I'm going.

Which is why I'd at least like to know how fast I got there. If it can't tell me that much then...

It must use Google Maps as it's source of geographic info...I use it but can't tell you the number of times it is f**ked.

And shoes with laces...

I read through the (paper) book that came with it, checked the website FAQs for info (and map updates but there weren't any, there was a software update, but I need to check which version I have) and the pdf. manual but couldn't find anything discussing this feature. Maybe it just doesn't do that. It seems like such a simple thing, the unit already knows the info it would need to calculate it.

Do you not have a 12 or 13 y/o around the house? Give ot to 'em and 6 hours later they'll have it fingered out.