Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dangerous Crime in the UK Vs USA... 2 Question's...

Dangerous Crime in the UK Vs USA... 2 Question's...

Old Nov 12th 2003, 2:35 pm
I'm as thick as a plank!

PrincessofWales is an unknown quantity at this point

Definitely feel safer here than in London and Liverpool. My sleepy village in Wales was always quiet so can't compare with that.

Suburbs of DC are very safe, relatively, of course, depends where you choose to hang out and how you choose to behave.

Only place in the US where I feel unsafe is on the roads...wacky races isn't in it.
Old Nov 12th 2003, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

We've never been victims of crime in UK. My son has here in FL though. As soon as he stepped off the plane- his wallet was pickpocketed at the airport. He had his new bike taken off him by two men in a truck, when he refused to hand it over they pulled a gun (and this was in a "good" area).
He was also beaten up when he told two gatecrashers (who'd come in drunk) to leave his friends party- they returned with two cars full of boys with sticks and gave him a beating- he ended up in hospital after that one.
My husband's car was broken into in the driveway and they ripped out his sound system and speakers.
And in a very expensive area we lived for 7 years, mail was being stolen out of mail boxes- the guy opposite us lost a pay check.
We've been the victims of ID theft 3 times- onetime was really clever and police thought it had to have been an employee at our bank.
I don't feel particularly unsafe here though- The US is spread out enough that you can live right away from the really violent areas and not know much about what goes on there. Very little of it is reported in the local news- there have been an average of two murders a night in the last week in Manatee county- not one has made the news. Three children have gone missing in FL in the last week- not a mention on even the local news.
Old Nov 12th 2003, 3:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dangerous Crime in the UK Vs USA... 2 Question's...

My reaction to this is you should get a dog. You might need to take him to the vet a few times for shots and flea treatment and keep them from running into the road but they are well worth the cost in peace of mind. They bark like crazy at anyone who comes up to your house.
Old Nov 12th 2003, 3:31 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dangerous Crime in the UK Vs USA... 2 Question's...

Originally posted by jaytee
My reaction to this is you should get a dog. You might need to take him to the vet a few times for shots and flea treatment and keep them from running into the road but they are well worth the cost in peace of mind. They bark like crazy at anyone who comes up to your house.
Or a Doberman with a Glock
Old Nov 12th 2003, 3:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to behold

Our next door neighbour has a couple of dogs, and they will bark at just about anything. He's way more security minded than we are, and sometimes the barking can be a pain in the arse.

The worst crime I've been involved in here was some little f***er snapping the antenna off my car, and this is in supposedly a city with a fair bit of crime.