British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Dangerous Crime in the UK Vs USA... 2 Question's... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/dangerous-crime-uk-vs-usa-2-questions-189846/)

whatever Nov 8th 2003 11:10 pm

Dangerous Crime in the UK Vs USA... 2 Question's...

Question 1: Is the place you live in the USA more or less dangerous to you or your family than the place you lived in the UK?

Question 2: Is your answer based on Statistics or your own personal experience?

RoB1833 Nov 8th 2003 11:14 pm

I'm lucky in that I've never really had a bad experience....

In the UK I always felt secure and safe in my home and in the area that I lived (Manchester).
Here in the US I definitely don't feel as secure, mainly because my wife worries so much about security and noises around the house!

gpc Nov 9th 2003 12:27 am

The New York suburbs feel far safer to me than the London suburbs did. Not even close.

doctor scrumpy Nov 9th 2003 10:08 am

Originally posted by gpc
The New York suburbs feel far safer to me than the London suburbs did. Not even close.
The media in the US blow crime up ouyt of all proportion. Be afraid of the boogie man syndrome. Used to be the Native American, then the Negro, nowadays be afraid of the strange Arabs it seems according to people I speak to.

Patrick Nov 9th 2003 2:05 pm

Re: Dangerous Crime in the UK Vs USA... 2 Question's...

Originally posted by whatever
Question 1: Is the place you live in the USA more or less dangerous to you or your family than the place you lived in the UK?

What a strange question, I used to live in a little village outside York and gangs from Leeds would come up every so often and nick cars or stereos and vandalise stuff. I never felt unsafe because they only targeted property, I felt pissed off when violated my car a couple of times, but I never felt that my life was in danger.

I have never felt unsafe anywhere in the UK or in America. I lived in village in England where there was a double murder and I never locked my doors before or after it. The town I live in now has 7 policeman, if you call them in the middle of night they will all be at your house in 30 seconds!

The only place I have ever been mugged is london, the only place I have ever been ripped off is london, the only place I have ever had a gun pointed at me is Africa (twice), the only time I have ever been beaten up is in Germany (bot times by the Welsh Guards) but I have seen two brawls in restaurants since I have been here, both over tables!

Patrick

nathan barley Nov 9th 2003 6:27 pm

Originally posted by gpc
I haven't felt unsafe anywhere since I was a teenager, where getting mugged by roaming gangs of other teens was commonplace where I lived.

Here in NY though, I don't have to watch a gang of kids steal a car from outside a house across the street, only to use it as a battering ram to knock down a nearby phone box, then cart it off on the back of a Morrisons shopping cart; or for an attempted double murder to happen at the house down the street on New Years eve, with the aftermath and blood spilling out into our front garden.

Pimpbot Nov 10th 2003 4:59 am

Never felt unsafe in Cambridge U.K. and I am yet to feel unsafe here in Arizona, or any other place I have visited in America for that matter. The only time I have felt uneasy, was in Mexico City. Felt uneasy the moment we landed and shacked up in the hotel from hell, to the moment I was robbed on the underground.

Ray Nov 10th 2003 12:33 pm

Yes its far more dangerous her...The fire ant population seems to have a personal vendetta against my ankles...and the gangs of roaming killer Armadillo's can be pretty frightening..

Patrick Nov 10th 2003 12:38 pm

Dangerous

1. Hurricanes in NC and Texas, Wild Fires and Mud slides in CA and Tornadoes in the mid west - more dangerous I would say!

BrigieDarling Nov 10th 2003 2:39 pm

I would face the same dangers back home.... Kitchen fires are my number one problem!

I can leave my car unlocked and hang flower baskets outside... not dangerous, but wouldn't dream of doing that in Pomey!

But, I didn't have surveilance cameras, motion deteting lights or an alarm system aided by a 120lb German Sheppard back there either!

Duncs Nov 10th 2003 9:58 pm

it doesnt feel unsafe here and everyone is really slack about security. i suppose it feels weird not to have bullet resistant glass and steel doors anymore but i still keep a gun by the bed just in case. Some habits you just cant drop.

statistically safer here even allowing for tornadoes etc but then i was in a dangerous job in a dangerous place.

regards,

Duncan

Taffyles Nov 11th 2003 2:54 am

We installed burglar alarm and motion detectors to keep our boys in at night when they were teenagers.:D

Poppy33usa Nov 12th 2003 12:20 am

safer in the US or UK?

well, we live somewhat close to a so-called dodgy neighbourhood, but I have been really lucky and never had any problems or felt unsafe....whereas back home the area I lived in had the begininnings of a serious drug problem,which resulted in muggings, break-ins, murders and so on..very nasty, I never felt safe in my home in the UK....so the US wins!!! :)
Poppy

Maggs Nov 12th 2003 1:02 pm

Hello

I don't have any experience as yet of crime here in the US but I've only been here since July. However, I do have personal experience in the UK, mostly related to my children. When my daughter was 9 she was at the local swimming pool that has glass windows all around one side. As she was collecting her swimming bag, a man indecently exposed himself to her and her friend on the other side of the glass. My son has been assaulted twice. Once when he was 13 for no reason other than he had a baseball cap on that his attacker wanted. This week he was assaulted in his own home by his sisters ex boyfriend. My son was asking him to leave his sister alone (from the top of the stairs) when the ex pushed passed my daughter through the front door, ran up the stairs and attacked my son. Luckily no fractures to his face or skull but a whole lot of cuts and severe bruising to his face. For this the attacker is going to get away with just a caution. I have also had my garden shed broken into and all the expensive equipment stolen ie, lawn mower, strimmer, hedge cutter, never to be seen again. All this whilst living an a "good" residential area. Perhaps we have just been unlucky. I also have a friend who works in a large hospital and this year her car was stolen from the hospital car park under the CCTV cameras! There is a great video clip of the car being stolen! I could come up with a few more if needed!

Maggie

CharlieS Nov 12th 2003 1:45 pm

I always felt safer in Cali than in the UK. The exception being I've toned down my anger when driving in the USA, too many people with guns in their glovebox