Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Damp in the basement

Damp in the basement

Old Apr 26th 2008, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

silverbirch will become famous soon enoughsilverbirch will become famous soon enough
Default Damp in the basement

My friend has noticed lately that he is finding damp patches on the floor of his basement that he hasnt noticed before, they are on the outside wall close to the central heating tank, its like a trickle of water going along the floor for about 5 ft along, also sort of circles similar to when you leave a wet towel on the floor for a few days and it leaves a pattern when you pick it up.
He needs to get someone in to look at it but doesnt want to be ripped off by some one saying " oh you need the whole place damp coursed" it would help a lot if he had a bit of a clue ,if anyone is kind enough to give me some ideas, a good workman over there is so hard to find,most of them do the job and then vanish so you ring them on the number you first rang them on but the line is dead, how do you find a good workman in your area.
Old Apr 26th 2008, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Damp in the basement

Originally Posted by annie22
My friend has noticed lately that he is finding damp patches on the floor of his basement that he hasnt noticed before, they are on the outside wall close to the central heating tank, its like a trickle of water going along the floor for about 5 ft along, also sort of circles similar to when you leave a wet towel on the floor for a few days and it leaves a pattern when you pick it up.
He needs to get someone in to look at it but doesnt want to be ripped off by some one saying " oh you need the whole place damp coursed" it would help a lot if he had a bit of a clue ,if anyone is kind enough to give me some ideas, a good workman over there is so hard to find,most of them do the job and then vanish so you ring them on the number you first rang them on but the line is dead, how do you find a good workman in your area.
did someone mention my name?
Old Apr 26th 2008, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

silverbirch will become famous soon enoughsilverbirch will become famous soon enough

Old Apr 27th 2008, 6:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annie22
OK, I am trying to figure out what the "central heating tank" is. If you're talking about a furnace, and it's the standard yank forced air furnace, it probably has a humidifier on it. Not all do of course, but many do.

The first thing I personally would be checking is if the water is coming from the humidifier or connections to the furnace. I had this problem. The humidifier only runs when the furnace does, so the water only leaked when the furnace was running. Of course, if it's a connection, it could leak even when not running.

Secondly, usually if the problem is leaking from the outside, it would generally happen when it rains. If there has been a few days of dry, and it's still happening, I would be less suspicious of the water coming from the outside (rather than the furnace). Again, not impossible, but less likely.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for your reply Tracy, I did mean the furnace,I always forget what they are called over there.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 9:43 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

tell your mate to construct a french drain

he needs

a shovel

perforated pipe

gravel

I had/have a problem with a duplex that used to flood every couple of months before I bought it, I put the french drain in and there has been over two years between incidents

making sure downspouts drain as far away from the house as possible and grading dirt so that water drains away from the house are all good things also
Old Apr 27th 2008, 11:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

make sure to check local ordinance as french drains are not allowed in many areas... i know they are not allowed where i live.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 12:36 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USBound
make sure to check local ordinance as french drains are not allowed in many areas... i know they are not allowed where i live.
Really? WOW

WTF not?

its on your land, surely you can dig a ditch?