Damn cheek!

Old Jan 23rd 2006, 9:43 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Damn cheek!

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
It is sooo funny that this thread should come up now... I had a very similiar conversation on friday with a customer at work... her husband asked the usual where is your accent from and I told him then she asks what I like and don't like about living in the US and her told her that living in the MI I now dislike the snow and she pipes up 'what you would prefer to have it rain all the time' then I said my main dislike about living in the US was the health system... oh you should have seen her face... as soon as I said that she jumped on the defensive. Telling me how it is the best in the world and how when people in the UK can't get the treatment over there they come to the US blah blah blah. I told her how I had got a bill for a blood test that was going to cost me $400 out of pocket and that when I argued with the insurance company they agreed to pay ($49 with the rest being written off) and that in the US it was all about making money etc- her reply well it must have been a one off... I didn't tell her that I was in the middle of disputing another one... which by the way turned out being covered too

She had no reply when said that I work with girls who can't afford health insurance and do not qualify for assitance and that I thought it was backwards that people should have to question whether they get the treatment they require rather then face huge bills or whether they risk it and feed their kids and heat their house. (last year the Dr found a lump in my breast, luckly it turned out to be nothing, but it really got me thinking on what it would be like to have to face that without insurance).

I realised it was time to shut up when I told her that I would have preferred to go back to England to have my daughter because the care esp the aftercare was better in my opinion that the only reason I did not was that my husband could not have been there to see his first child born.I thought she was going to blow a gasket... she was really upset with it LOL but she did ask.

Ash
It must have been like the look on the face of my friends when I told them our midwife came out to my house every couple of days after having my son!!!
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 9:45 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by izibear
I told a friend of mine, a pilot with a major airline here, the other day, how little you pay to fly out of the UK and I am not kidding, but he didnt' believe me......

I live in old age / nursing home state, and it is heartbreaking to see some of the old dears at the chemists...
Yeah, no one believes me when I tell them you can fly from London to Paris for $20!
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 9:48 pm
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
Ok I was having a bad day before reading this but now I am bloody depressed, got a doctors appointment tommorow somebody tell me they got some good treatment. On another note meds costing so much you would think people would take better care of themselves - eating etc
My sons doctor is really nice, probably as nice as the one back in England. He's just really expensive, but we can't afford medical insurance, so it's our own fault for that.

The major difference is that here we are customers, back home we are a patients!
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 9:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
Ok I was having a bad day before reading this but now I am bloody depressed, got a doctors appointment tommorow somebody tell me they got some good treatment.

lol, you're joking, right?
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 9:54 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
It is sooo funny that this thread should come up now... I had a very similiar conversation on friday with a customer at work... her husband asked the usual where is your accent from and I told him then she asks what I like and don't like about living in the US and her told her that living in the MI I now dislike the snow and she pipes up 'what you would prefer to have it rain all the time' then I said my main dislike about living in the US was the health system... oh you should have seen her face... as soon as I said that she jumped on the defensive. Telling me how it is the best in the world and how when people in the UK can't get the treatment over there they come to the US blah blah blah. I told her how I had got a bill for a blood test that was going to cost me $400 out of pocket and that when I argued with the insurance company they agreed to pay ($49 with the rest being written off) and that in the US it was all about making money etc- her reply well it must have been a one off... I didn't tell her that I was in the middle of disputing another one... which by the way turned out being covered too

She had no reply when said that I work with girls who can't afford health insurance and do not qualify for assitance and that I thought it was backwards that people should have to question whether they get the treatment they require rather then face huge bills or whether they risk it and feed their kids and heat their house. (last year the Dr found a lump in my breast, luckly it turned out to be nothing, but it really got me thinking on what it would be like to have to face that without insurance).

I realised it was time to shut up when I told her that I would have preferred to go back to England to have my daughter because the care esp the aftercare was better in my opinion that the only reason I did not was that my husband could not have been there to see his first child born.I thought she was going to blow a gasket... she was really upset with it LOL but she did ask.

Ash
Yeah, they don't like being told some other country does it better, but constantly brag that their country is the worlds greatest. And they wonder why the rest of the world gets pissed off with it....
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 9:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frrussre
Contributions are much less then people in the USA have to pay.
Really?
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 9:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

We had a Brit friend visiting us over the XMAS holidays, he had chest pains & went to our local ER room. They took his info & asked for $350, initial ER visit fee. The fee was payable before they would check him over. Lucky he did not go by ambulance, I think its over $500 + the $350.
Reg. Frank R.
He came over with no travel insurance??? :scared: :scared: :scared:
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 10:11 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake

Yeah, they don't like being told some other country does it better, but constantly brag that their country is the worlds greatest. And they wonder why the rest of the world gets pissed off with it....
Just check this out and weep.

http://www.energy.rochester.edu/uk/c...eursuccess.htm
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 10:15 pm
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Really?
Yes.
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 10:32 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake

I've already said, I'm back at school and nearly every day a professor will mention something about America with "not just best in this country but best in the world" and I've lost count of how many times I've heard the word "Superpower". Not to mention that they teach people that the rest of the world is jealous of them. Oh and the "your generation will not just be running the country but running the world". Did God resign? (not that I'm religious but those that are may have something to say about that). Or the "we're the last superpower". Have they not heard of last one in last one out? One word...China

---
1w 3d 18:03 smoke-free, 159 cigs not smoked, $27.83 saved, 13:15 life saved
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 10:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

He came over with no travel insurance??? :scared: :scared: :scared:
YES, he came over with Travel/medical Ins. They still wanted him to pay the $350 & a Credit Card for further charges. They eventually took his ins. We are now receiving unpaid bills for him. Eventually, the Ins will pay some of the charges & he will get stuck with the rest.
Reg.
Frank R.
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 11:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

YES, he came over with Travel/medical Ins. They still wanted him to pay the $350 & a Credit Card for further charges. They eventually took his ins. We are now receiving unpaid bills for him. Eventually, the Ins will pay some of the charges & he will get stuck with the rest.
Reg.
Frank R.
Wow. We came over with insurance and one time we had to use it because our 16 month (at the time) daughter had a really bad ear infection. We weren't billed or asked for money. Maybe we had good travel insurance, we contacted them first and then went off to the emergency room. Don't know.
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 11:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
I've already said, I'm back at school and nearly every day a professor will mention something about America with "not just best in this country but best in the world" and I've lost count of how many times I've heard the word "Superpower". Not to mention that they teach people that the rest of the world is jealous of them. Oh and the "your generation will not just be running the country but running the world". Did God resign? (not that I'm religious but those that are may have something to say about that). Or the "we're the last superpower". Have they not heard of last one in last one out? One word...China

---
1w 3d 18:03 smoke-free, 159 cigs not smoked, $27.83 saved, 13:15 life saved
Maybe it will all change after Bush leaves office. America will be broke beyond repair, and Americans will have to rely on charitable contributions from other countries
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 11:18 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe it will all change after Bush leaves office. America will be broke beyond repair, and Americans will have to rely on charitable contributions from other countries
Unless the Democrats get their sh*t together, the Bush-leaving-office party will be very shortlived. Out of the frying pan, into the fire, anyone?
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 11:53 pm

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

Just in case you were wondering where they get their ideas from?!

http://www.jomiller.com/archives/200...ide_for_a.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.