Damn cheek!

Old Jan 21st 2006, 4:01 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Damn cheek!

I was at work the other night, and admitted a patient into the ICU...an elderly gentleman. I was sitting with the doc while she explained care to the family and she was telling the family that they were lucky they were in America "where the very best most modern technologies are available, and we can do almost anything. We can continue to prolong the life of patients unlike somewhere like the UK that would basically just give up)...or words to that effect. I managed to spurt out a "I don't quite think that's necessarily the truth actually" without putting my foot in it, but I was appalled! Apparently the doc had worked at a little community hospital in Scotland and felt qualified to make vast statements about the NHS. When I told her that I trained at a top London teaching hospital and that that certainly wasn't the case she backpedaled slightly.

What makes me laugh is that I felt the care in ICU back home was far superior to what we do over here, and I am in a comparable University hospital. In England we'd do routine Arterial lines, central line, blood gases and dialysis, and most people were given TPN (parenteral nutrition) and were screened twice weekly and on admission by microbiology. Here things are much more haphazard and sporadic and we don't do half as much as we did in England. Why is it American's are so arogant to think they have the best healthcare system in the world? There may be some very advanced techniques available here but god help you if your insurance won't pay for it! Everybody got the same treatment for free in England. I miss the NHS.
Old Jan 21st 2006, 4:07 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Damn cheek!

Originally Posted by Rockgurl
I was at work the other night, and admitted a patient into the ICU...an elderly gentleman. I was sitting with the doc while she explained care to the family and she was telling the family that they were lucky they were in America "where the very best most modern technologies are available, and we can do almost anything. We can continue to prolong the life of patients unlike somewhere like the UK that would basically just give up)...or words to that effect. I managed to spurt out a "I don't quite think that's necessarily the truth actually" without putting my foot in it, but I was appalled! Apparently the doc had worked at a little community hospital in Scotland and felt qualified to make vast statements about the NHS. When I told her that I trained at a top London teaching hospital and that that certainly wasn't the case she backpedaled slightly.

What makes me laugh is that I felt the care in ICU back home was far superior to what we do over here, and I am in a comparable University hospital. In England we'd do routine Arterial lines, central line, blood gases and dialysis, and most people were given TPN (parenteral nutrition) and were screened twice weekly and on admission by microbiology. Here things are much more haphazard and sporadic and we don't do half as much as we did in England. Why is it American's are so arogant to think they have the best healthcare system in the world? There may be some very advanced techniques available here but god help you if your insurance won't pay for it! Everybody got the same treatment for free in England. I miss the NHS.

To try to justify the outrageous costs to the patients.

If they said "You know this is the same kinda treatment and prognosis as you'd have in say, the UK, where it wouldnt cost you a dime." The patients may feel just a little bit ripped off by the huge insurance premiums and co-pays etc.
Old Jan 21st 2006, 4:49 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I think sometimes the latest technology gets confused as meaing "expertise" and "training".

I see an analogous thing in research. Some areas of research that involve very arduous or invasive data collection processes (e.g., "sticking" people) especially if it involves very expensive equipment (like an MRI) or supplies (like radioactive isotopes) are almost automatically respectable or high-level. Yet sometimes these researchers may not have a good understanding of what constitutes good quality research design and analysis. I've been in on some testosterone-laden conversations about whose "magnet" (MRI) is bigger than whose (not literally, of course). Such people almost see themselves as the athletes of the research world.

Other researchers on the other hand (for example behavioral researchers) have much more thorny challenges in their research (like determining that their methods truly do measure some evasive aspect of human nature), and have developed and learned very complicated designs and analyses, yet are disparaged by the "techies" as doing "survey research"
Old Jan 21st 2006, 5:06 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I think sometimes the latest technology gets confused as meaing "expertise" and "training".

I see an analogous thing in research. Some areas of research that involve very arduous or invasive data collection processes (e.g., "sticking" people) especially if it involves very expensive equipment (like an MRI) or supplies (like radioactive isotopes) are almost automatically respectable or high-level. Yet sometimes these researchers may not have a good understanding of what constitutes good quality research design and analysis. I've been in on some testosterone-laden conversations about whose "magnet" (MRI) is bigger than whose (not literally, of course). Such people almost see themselves as the athletes of the research world.

Other researchers on the other hand (for example behavioral researchers) have much more thorny challenges in their research (like determining that their methods truly do measure some evasive aspect of human nature), and have developed and learned very complicated designs and analyses, yet are disparaged by the "techies" as doing "survey research"

I totally understand what you're saying. It's that whole quality vs quantity thing that's so prevalent over here. The medical field particularly is so caught up in a red tape/buerocracy/competitive haze that it often forgets the point which is a service to heal people and research the cause and effect of various diease processes and cures. But of course, the profit vs care debate is a whole other thread!
Old Jan 21st 2006, 5:21 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

You really are the real-life, female equivalent of Dr. Ray Barnett, the rockstar doctor in ER, aren't you?

And yes, I'll take the NHS over the system here any day of the week. When I was back in the UK over Xmas and my daughter needed minor ER treatment by a nurse they were so quick, friendly, expert, thorough and all-round wonderful that I just couldn't thank them enough.

Rockgurl's alter-ego?
Old Jan 21st 2006, 6:17 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

I miss it too. People in England really don't realise how lucky they are.

I think a bill has a lot to do with American's attitude towards their own 'healthcare system', because they pay for every little thing (a box of tissues!), they are somehow deluded into thinking that it goes hand in hand with superb treatment. It's the same as the mobile phones here, we have
better technology in England. Yet, some people here sit & tell me about how they are 'texting' their friends & look if I just press each button once, it comes up with a word that's most likely. Wow, we had that donkeys years ago & for a fraction of the price it is here!!!

Last edited by Partystar; Jan 21st 2006 at 6:22 pm.
Old Jan 21st 2006, 9:11 pm
~ Relocated to Texas ~

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

If only I had a dime for every time I heard 'the best in the world' when referring to all things American.

I've gone back to school here and I here it from professors at least 3 times a week! Sometimes more. I've even had a professor telling the class that everyone in the world hates Americans because they are all jealous of them.
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 1:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Why is it American's are so arogant to think they have the best healthcare system in the world? There may be some very advanced techniques available here but god help you if your insurance won't pay for it!
Or if you're one of the 40 million that doesn't even have insurance.

Never underestimate the value of money in the US. There are a lot of vested interests that make $$$$s out of the current mess of a healthcare system, and they're done a very effective job of convincing Americans that the system is better than any other.
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 1:50 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Partystar
It's the same as the mobile phones here, we have
better technology in England. Yet, some people here sit & tell me about how they are 'texting' their friends & look if I just press each button once, it comes up with a word that's most likely. Wow, we had that donkeys years ago & for a fraction of the price it is here!!!
yeah but doncha just look at them and think "ahhh...bless 'em"!!!
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 2:37 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to behold

I too miss the NHS and also get tired of hearing how much better the healthcare is here,because you don't have to wait, ask anyone here why they think uk healthcare is bad and they reply well you have to waiit for treatment, my standard reply is as opposed to here in that if you don't have the right insurance you never get it!!!
Yesterday I was told nowhere in the constitution was there a promise of free healthcare!
The big difference i always tell people is the uk healthcare system is proactive, we plough money into public health in an attempt to leesen the effects of obesity, smoking, diabetes etc in later life, here the insurance companies aren't interested in preventine they'd rather pay for a leg amputation in a diabetic and the subsequent costs than offer screening tools to try and reduce complications of the disease.(rant over)
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 5:37 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Like Partystar says, if it costs more it must be better. Don't know what your problem is, Rockgurl.
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 5:50 am

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
You really are the real-life, female equivalent of Dr. Ray Barnett, the rockstar doctor in ER, aren't you?

And yes, I'll take the NHS over the system here any day of the week. When I was back in the UK over Xmas and my daughter needed minor ER treatment by a nurse they were so quick, friendly, expert, thorough and all-round wonderful that I just couldn't thank them enough.

Rockgurl's alter-ego?
My mum was taken ill just after I left in October, couldnt walk, move etc,she had over 20 x rays and every scan imaginable was home,well for Christmas, they were determined to find a diagnosis and did, not a penny was spent by her ,age 75.
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 11:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

There may be some very advanced techniques available here but god help you if your insurance won't pay for it! Everybody got the same treatment for free in England. I miss the NHS. [/QUOTE]

The NHS is not free, well not for those who are working and have to pay contributions.
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 11:24 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
There may be some very advanced techniques available here but god help you if your insurance won't pay for it! Everybody got the same treatment for free in England. I miss the NHS.

The NHS is not free, well not for those who are working and have to pay contributions.[/QUOTE]

Which is similar to the US, except that here you pay contributions but do NOT get free treatment unless you are destitute.
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 11:25 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

telling the family that they were lucky they were in America "where the very best most modern technologies are available, and we can do almost anything. We can continue to prolong the life of patients unlike somewhere like the UK that would basically just give up)...

hey rockgurl this is what i do not like about the usa. my hubby a usa citizen was the first to point this kinda thing out to me....the other night on the box they were going on about the usa and the fat people and one dr came on and said that the people are fat here coz they are privileged to have cars not like most other parts of the world where they are not so fortunate and have to walk..lol..... as about 96% of the american population don't even have passports they believe the media adn they really don't know and it's all wrong. when i go back to the uk which i do about every 2 mths (for my sanity) i listen out for comments like that in the uk and i've never heard them not even when i was living there. this lot assume they are 'god's gift' living in 'god's land' as someone posted on here yesterday...i just laugh coz this lot just don't know..anyone see the infomercial when they are begging for money and the ad shows a starving little girl ...the american guy on the ad with her says 'this is how people live in far away lands'..oh please...i've been asked if we have running water where i come from and what good english i speak....pls ..get some education third world country

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.